SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
Hi is anyone able to build any version of ruby-gtk2? When I run ruby extconf.rb, it complains about missing headers during the build process. The slackbuild from 14.0 has a problem with glib. If anyone can tell me how to build this thing, that would be awesome.
Ok thanks. I'll try installing ruby pkg-config when I get home.
I updated my post when you were replying. The ruby-pkg-config SlackBuild does indeed work with Slackware 14.1. It's just that right-clicking on the source in the SlackBuilds.org page, pasting it into a terminal, and downloading it with curl caused it to download as an error page. Downloading the source by clicking it works.
Ok so I wasted way too much time trying to get eatmonkey to work, probably not gonna waste anymore. First I realized the bin executable is actually just a script that points to ruby files in /usr/local/share/eatmonkey. So I changed the script so it points at /usr/share where I installed it, problem now is I just get ruby LoadErrors.
/usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require': cannot load such file -- eataria2 (LoadError)
from /usr/lib/ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/custom_require.rb:36:in `require'
from ./eat.rb:6:in `<main>'
If anyone ever gets this working, please post back. Too much of a headache for me and I'm out of my depth.
EDIT: FML I finally figured it out. In ruby versions >=1.9.2 (I think), you have to replace the "require" methods with "require_relative" for things that ruby doesn't expect in its lib path. It's like a security issue or something. I don't know that much about this since I just read about it, but when I changed some of the "require" methods I got the gui working. It doesn't error out anymore. Hope this helped if anyone wanted to use this.