LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   Requests for -current (14.2-->15.0) (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/requests-for-current-14-2-15-0-a-4175620463/)

ivandi 01-04-2018 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drakeo (Post 5801636)
Back to the winter,

Just a few cold days, not the end of the world ;)


Cheers

dugan 01-04-2018 09:37 AM

qzdl is still Qt 4.

I'm working on a Qt 5 fork. It isn't done yet, but what I have is ready-to-use:

https://github.com/duganchen/qzdl/tree/refactor

bamunds 01-04-2018 12:29 PM

I'm not a -current user, but would ask that GNUCash and Claws-mail latest version be included for testing in current before the next stable release. I have a small business and use GNUCash for financials. I use Claws-mail rather than kmail, thunderbird, or pine because 1) I use FVWM or Lumina for WM because I don't use the features of akonadi to do my work and 2)I prefer the simplicity of each message in a separate file so if breakage happens then folders can easily be rebuilt from all the files. So I'm not sure how many use these two apps, and I know they aren't part of the standard Slackware tree but that Robby or Ponce have them in their -current SBo branches. Ponce - I just checked your git and it appears you are testing or have rebuilt these under current, do the latest versions of each function without issues under 4.11?

Sorry if this isn't the place to ask the question and it is only for beta-testers. Is there another thread to ask these questions?

gmgf 01-04-2018 01:35 PM

php-7.2.1:

http://php.net/ChangeLog-7.php#7.2.1
http://php.net/get/php-7.2.1.tar.xz/from/a/mirror

mariadb-10.2.12:
https://mariadb.com/kb/en/library/ma...212-changelog/
http://mariadb.mirrors.ovh.net/Maria...10.2.12.tar.gz

ponce 01-04-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bamunds (Post 5801870)
I'm not a -current user, but would ask that GNUCash and Claws-mail latest version be included for testing in current before the next stable release. I have a small business and use GNUCash for financials. I use Claws-mail rather than kmail, thunderbird, or pine because 1) I use FVWM or Lumina for WM because I don't use the features of akonadi to do my work and 2)I prefer the simplicity of each message in a separate file so if breakage happens then folders can easily be rebuilt from all the files. So I'm not sure how many use these two apps, and I know they aren't part of the standard Slackware tree but that Robby or Ponce have them in their -current SBo branches.

I have just a couple of fixes for claws-mail and gnucash to let them build on current.
Quote:

Ponce - I just checked your git and it appears you are testing or have rebuilt these under current, do the latest versions of each function without issues under 4.11?
I'm not a daily user of both, just occasional, but they seem to work...
the only (big) issue I got with claws-mail is that it doesn't support google's oauth2, so I can't use it with my google account.

bamunds 01-04-2018 02:40 PM

Thanks ponce. I use Claws-mail 3.15.1 with google mail all the time. I simply turn-off the two factor authentication, which I have to do for any Android or iPhone I wish to link since I don't like and don't have SMS texting on my cell service. Then I set claws-mail to plain-text authorization because automatic seems to fail the test request from google. Claws-mail let's me centralize all my different accounts and use the v-calendar plugin with google calendar. I do wish the claws-mail dev's would work out oauth2, but hey they have their hands full with the QT or GTK3 conversion, I've read that both are being worked on.

Thanks for the confirmation that both these apps are tested and building with only some minor adjustments. I'm appreciate all the support both you, Robby and Eric H put in to making Slackware the easiest and best Linux distribution in tandem of course with Pat.

Happy New Year!

USUARIONUEVO 01-04-2018 03:33 PM

Please stop using this thread as a irc channel or msn.

++++++++++++++++++++++

iw-4.14
https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/...iw-4.14.tar.xz

rworkman 01-04-2018 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shastah (Post 5799909)
When kernel 4.14 lands in main tree eventually, I suggest putting a note in ChangeLog.txt/UPGRADE.TXT/CHANGES_AND_HINTS.TXT about the fact that "cciss" driver is now removed in favor of "hpsa" (which supports all boards cciss did and is actually a module alias for cciss now). Disks connected to previously-cciss will still be visible, but if one refers to them as /dev/cciss/... (ie. in /etc/fstab) it will no longer work. Also smartctl/smartd needs some tuning, you need to know which scsi generic device your controller is at (lsscsi -g), and then point smartd there:
Code:

$ lsscsi -g
[0:1:0:0]    disk    HP      LOGICAL VOLUME  7.24  /dev/sda  /dev/sg0
[0:1:0:1]    disk    HP      LOGICAL VOLUME  7.24  /dev/sdb  /dev/sg1
[0:3:0:0]    storage HP      P400i            7.24  -          /dev/sg2
$
$ grep sg2 /etc/smartd.conf
/dev/sg2 -d cciss,0 -I 190 -a -m root
/dev/sg2 -d cciss,1 -I 190 -a -m root
/dev/sg2 -d cciss,2 -I 190 -a -m root
/dev/sg2 -d cciss,3 -I 190 -a -m root
/dev/sg2 -d cciss,4 -I 190 -a -m root
$

This may affect people running Slackware on HP servers.

I've got the following queued there:
Code:

The cciss driver has been replaced by the hpsa driver, so if you're
  running an HP server, this may be relevant to you. This is mostly an
  issue with respect to device references -- if you have references to
  /dev/cciss/* in e.g. /etc/fstab and/or /etc/smartd.conf, you'll need
  to fix those.  Reference: https://tinyurl.com/cciss-hpsa


cwizardone 01-04-2018 08:27 PM

Firefox-57.0.4

Quote:

# Fixed in Firefox 57.0.4
2018-01 Speculative execution side-channel attack ("Spectre")
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/securi...s/mfsa2018-01/

ReaperX7 01-04-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alien Bob (Post 5801580)
If you want a stable system, run Slackware 14.2.
If you decide on slackware-current, then - as I have told countless times - you are considered to be a Slackware BETA-TESTER. We (Slackware team) expect that if you run slackware-current, you accept that things can break suddenly without immediate fix, and we also expect that you are able to fix issues yourself and get your computer back to a workable state.
Read https://docs.slackware.com/slackware...rrent_versions please.

Like Robby said: slackware-current is not a rolling release model. It is where development happens. It is much more stable than development versions of other distro's, but this is NOT a stable release. If proprietary software can not cope with updates in Linux land, then too bad ans we will have to wait for them to fix their shit.
It's not like this is the first time this happened... I have had multiple occasions where I had to revert to a previous kernel temporarily in order to avoid losing my GPU-accelerated desktop.

Yet how many times is this said over and over and continues to fall on deaf ears, especially with the nvidia-driver and amd/ati drivers?

I would like to see another alternative desktop added, if possible, maybe look into Lumina? It would be nice to have a lighter QT based DE since Xfce is the lighter alt to Gnome (which we don't have any longer).

bassmadrigal 01-04-2018 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReaperX7 (Post 5802176)
Yet how many times is this said over and over and continues to fall on deaf ears, especially with the nvidia-driver and amd/ati drivers?

Why should OS developers hold their OSes back because manufacturers don't support modern versions of software? Should Slackware still have Xorg at 1.17 so users are able to use the Catalyst software that AMD EOLed? Up until the 17.30 release of amdgpu-pro (released JUL 2017), AMD's proprietary drivers didn't even work with Xorg 1.19 (NOV 2016). Should Slackware users been held back because of that? Especially considering the fact that newer Xorg/mesa/kernel combos with the open source amdgpu driver tends to have better performance than the closed source driver anyway. I imagine most users who want the performance out of their cards are gamers and not professionals who would benefit from the extras the pro driver enables... but if they are professionals, they probably shouldn't be using a development version of Slackware anyway.

What so many a few people seem to be missing is -current is development for Slackware, not a rolling release for your desktop. All the things in -current are supposed to work with all the other things in -current and 3rd party software is not taken into account during its development. Hopefully your favorite piece of software will catch up and provide support by the time the development of Slackware is over and the next stable release is put out, but if it isn't, you really should be blaming the developers of that software, not Slackware.

You do realize that Nvidia developers have the same access to the same code that we do and they are able to tailor their code to work with the newest versions before the releases are put out, right? It's not like Nvidia developers have no clue that the 4.14 kernel was coming... there was over a month of RCs for them to prep their driver for. And then for the point releases, there's RCs of those too. The fact that they can't keep up is on them, not on Slackware.

This is like telling the mesa devs they shouldn't be pushing out newer versions that rely on newer versions of Xorg, because Distro X doesn't have a new enough Xorg to run the newest mesa. So, should development of mesa stop because of that?

Get over yourselves! If you're going to run a development version of any type of software, be prepared for things to not work. Especially when those "things" are binary, closed source programs/libraries/drivers.

RadicalDreamer 01-05-2018 01:33 AM

People should go fuss at ATI and NVIDIA for not keeping up with kernel development and for not providing open source drivers. I can't wait until we can 3d print our own hardware so we can ditch these companies.

Darth Vader 01-05-2018 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RadicalDreamer (Post 5802239)
People should go fuss at ATI and NVIDIA for not keeping up with kernel development and for not providing open source drivers. I can't wait until we can 3d print our own hardware so we can ditch these companies.

Ha ha! That's really a "radical dream" ! :D

cgorac 01-05-2018 04:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReaperX7 (Post 5802176)
Yet how many times is this said over and over and continues to fall on deaf ears, especially with the nvidia-driver and amd/ati drivers?

It is equally annoying to have to read these statements "current is development, not a rolling release, blah, blah" over and over again, written by same group of persons that are just regular users like the rest of us, and not part of Slackware team. Most people here are not stupid but are well aware of this fact, and actually are helping the Slackware development by running current, and reporting problems here. Sometimes the frustration caused by problem encountered is pointed in somewhat wrong direction, but most of the time it's clear that the overall intention is good.

Darth Vader 01-05-2018 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgorac (Post 5802289)
It is equally annoying to have to read these statements "current is development, not a rolling release, blah, blah" over and over again, written by same group of persons that are just regular users like the rest of us, and not part of Slackware team. Most people here are not stupid but are well aware of this fact, and actually are helping the Slackware development by running current, and reporting problems here. Sometimes the frustration caused by problem encountered is pointed in somewhat wrong direction, but most of the time it's clear that the overall intention is good.

Yeah, man! You are perfectly right! Go for it!

Specially the usage of the slackware-current in a corporate environment helps so much the testing. :D

Oh, wait! He claimed that slackware-current is NOT for testing. Can you believe that?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:28 PM.