LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2005, 07:41 PM   #1
carboncopy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,210
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 45
rc.local execution sequence?


A very simple question. Is rc.local executed from top to bottom or bottom up?

Need to know this because I am setting up broadband connection on bootup.

adsl-start

updatedd-wrapper

rc.firewall start
 
Old 01-05-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
trey85stang
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,091

Rep: Reputation: 41
Re: rc.local execution sequence?

Quote:
Originally posted by carboncopy
A very simple question. Is rc.local executed from top to bottom or bottom up?

Need to know this because I am setting up broadband connection on bootup.

adsl-start

updatedd-wrapper

rc.firewall start
Should be top to bottom... But I generally make a seperate script and then call the script from rc.local.
 
Old 01-05-2005, 08:56 PM   #3
shilo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2002
Location: Stockton, CA
Distribution: Slackware 11 - kernel 2.6.19.1 - Dropline Gnome 2.16.2
Posts: 1,132

Rep: Reputation: 50
Though it does not answer your question, can't you simply make rc.firewall executable (chmod +x rc.firewall) and place it in /etc/rc.d to get it to start (per /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2)?

Also, I would think that you want your firewall started before going online. I thought /etc/rc.d/rc.local was the las thing to start, so this would insure that you had a firewall before going online. I could be messed up on the order, though. Just read through the scripts in /etc/rc.d to make sure.
 
Old 01-05-2005, 09:05 PM   #4
trey85stang
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2003
Posts: 1,091

Rep: Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally posted by shilo
Though it does not answer your question, can't you simply make rc.firewall executable (chmod +x rc.firewall) and place it in /etc/rc.d to get it to start (per /etc/rc.d/rc.inet2)?

Also, I would think that you want your firewall started before going online. I thought /etc/rc.d/rc.local was the las thing to start, so this would insure that you had a firewall before going online. I could be messed up on the order, though. Just read through the scripts in /etc/rc.d to make sure.
not that i run a software firewall.. but wouldnt the network need to be started before the firewall could be started?
 
Old 01-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #5
carboncopy
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2003
Location: Malaysia
Posts: 1,210

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 4

Rep: Reputation: 45
Okay,
I have created individual rc scripts for each action..

Question:
What is the . infront of the execution line bout, example from rc.K
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.samba ] ; then
 .  /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
fi
 
Old 01-05-2005, 09:51 PM   #6
vls
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: The grassy knoll
Distribution: Slackware,Debian
Posts: 192

Rep: Reputation: 31
Quote:
Originally posted by carboncopy
Okay,
I have created individual rc scripts for each action..

Question:
What is the . infront of the execution line bout, example from rc.K
Code:
if [ -x /etc/rc.d/rc.samba ] ; then
 .  /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
fi
The period is equivalent to the source command.

The files in /etc/rc.d are read in by the shell as opposed to being executed as programs.
Same results but there is a difference in the effect on the shell enviroment between the two techniques.

vls
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Setup local machine to allow lan machines to retrieve its local user mail. Brian1 Linux - Networking 3 03-30-2006 05:04 AM
Local webserver -- How to deny all client install their local web server--Please help b:z Linux - Networking 13 04-16-2005 07:11 PM
How to tell where the execution is going on right now? bahadur Programming 7 04-03-2005 03:42 AM
command execution leonidas Linux - General 1 09-22-2004 12:29 AM
Cannot resolve local addresses on local network danielgrenyer Linux - Networking 6 01-14-2004 11:03 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration