LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-03-2017, 11:51 PM   #16
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
There is a hack if you're using the Oxygen icon theme; just modify your launch command to point to a different theme.
It's on the forum here somewhere.
Yeah, the link is in the README for the from-source PaleMoon on SBo.

http://docs.slackware.com/howtos:sof..._segfaults_etc

Anyway, I'm building now with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes and OPTIMIZE="-Os". We'll see what happens.

Last edited by montagdude; 05-03-2017 at 11:52 PM.
 
Old 05-03-2017, 11:57 PM   #17
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,809

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
note that, in some cases, simply enabling debug might stop the crashes, so if you are willing to do some tests, might be useful to play with the parameters one at a time.
regarding the OPTIMIZE one is worth to try -Os but also simply -O (still like Alien Bob wrote above).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:52 AM   #18
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,544

Rep: Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
There is a hack if you're using the Oxygen icon theme; just modify your launch command to point to a different theme.
It's on the forum here somewhere.
... or you install my patched oxygen-gtk2 package: http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...s/oxygen-gtk2/

In my conversations with the Pale Moon developer he mentioned that there was a commit to the oxygen-gtk2 repository which was meant to solve crashes in certain firefox-derived browsers (such as Pale Moon) but that patch was never part of an official release, so many distros do not have a proper oxygen-gtk2 package that fixes the theme-related crashes in Pale Moon.
Slackware's oxygen-gtk2 package does not contain that patch either, so I added a patched oxygen-gtk2 package to my repository at the same time when I added a palemoon package to my repository.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 06:25 AM   #19
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
Alright, so I tried with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes, OPTIMIZE="-Os", and using the GTK theme override, and it still crashes reliably on http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/. Here is a link to the end of the terminal output and then a backtrace:

https://pastebin.com/udFJVSNv
 
Old 05-04-2017, 08:33 AM   #20
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 420

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I am not bashing you, at all :-)
I think it is great that SBo has a script for a source build of Pale Moon. If possible, I always prefer programs that are compiled on Slackware instead of relying on "official binaries".
It's just that the Pale Moon developer is not a Linux guy, so he relies on some other people to tell him what's working and what not. Those people are all running some kind of Debian/Ubuntu/Mint variant, and when I told him I rely more on the stability of Slackware's un-patched compilers than on the stories about crashes on other distros, he answered that I should do what i think is best.

So, I use gcc5, and at the same time am using "-Os" as optimization flag, similar to "-O2" optimization but with better respect for code size.

What we used to have to do with Slackware's Firefox builds in the past, was to apply no optimizations at all by specifying CFLAGS="-O" and "--enable-optimization" without parameter. Perhaps I will try that in future builds of my own package.

I am at work now, so I can not test, but tonight I will test Pale Moon with Yahoo pages.
I am just wondering if you ever tested yahoo out?
 
Old 05-04-2017, 08:34 AM   #21
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 420

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Alright, so I tried with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes, OPTIMIZE="-Os", and using the GTK theme override, and it still crashes reliably on http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/. Here is a link to the end of the terminal output and then a backtrace:

https://pastebin.com/udFJVSNv

Site does not crash for me using the build from SBo but I also built it with gcc 4.9.4 so idk.
 
Old 05-04-2017, 11:50 AM   #22
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
Site does not crash for me using the build from SBo but I also built it with gcc 4.9.4 so idk.
Interesting. I just built gcc 4.9.4, and later tonight I will use that to build Pale Moon and try again.
 
Old 05-04-2017, 01:55 PM   #23
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,544

Rep: Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Alright, so I tried with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes, OPTIMIZE="-Os", and using the GTK theme override, and it still crashes reliably on http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/. Here is a link to the end of the terminal output and then a backtrace:

https://pastebin.com/udFJVSNv
I tried accessing http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ using my Pale Moon package, on Slackware64-current with Plasma 5. No issue at all. I see an ugly site with ads that span half the screen and I scrolled from top to bottom. I also clicked through on some of the links. Am I supposed to click anywhere in particular to trigger a crash?

I also visited https://www.yahoo.com/ and this site too, does not make my Pale Moon crash.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 01:59 PM   #24
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I tried accessing http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/ using my Pale Moon package, on Slackware64-current with Plasma 5. No issue at all. I see an ugly site with ads that span half the screen and I scrolled from top to bottom.
Oh no doubt, the ads are ugly and annoying. Hence why I normally block them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I also clicked through on some of the links. Am I supposed to click anywhere in particular to trigger a crash?
No, with my SBo build it happens within seconds of navigating to that site, whether I scroll or not. I never even got the chance to click on anything. For the record, this is with a fresh ~/.moonchild productions and no add-ons installed.
 
Old 05-04-2017, 02:14 PM   #25
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,544

Rep: Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920Reputation: 5920
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Oh no doubt, the ads are ugly and annoying. Hence why I normally block them.

No, with my SBo build it happens within seconds of navigating to that site, whether I scroll or not. I never even got the chance to click on anything. For the record, this is with a fresh ~/.moonchild productions and no add-ons installed.
I did not install particular add-ons or extensions, but Pale Moon finds the same plugins that Firefox also uses (flash player, icedtea-web, gecko mediaplayer).
 
Old 05-04-2017, 09:42 PM   #26
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
Here is an update on my tests. The SBo from-source Pale Moon segfaults for me at both yahoo.com and hfboards.hockeysfuture.com. I tried with the default build options and also with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes and OPTIMIZE=-Os (together, not independently), and using the oxygen theme workaround. Using the same SlackBuild but building with gcc-4.9.4 instead of the system gcc-5.3.0, there is no segfault on either page. There is also no problem with the SBo package that repackages the official binaries, or with Alien Bob's Pale Moon package. These tests were all done on Slackware64-14.2 with multilib.

So take that for what you will. It would be nice if others could confirm my results with the SBo package built with the two different compilers.

Last edited by montagdude; 05-04-2017 at 09:45 PM. Reason: typo
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #27
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 420

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Here is an update on my tests. The SBo from-source Pale Moon segfaults for me at both yahoo.com and hfboards.hockeysfuture.com. I tried with the default build options and also with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes and OPTIMIZE=-Os (together, not independently), and using the oxygen theme workaround. Using the same SlackBuild but building with gcc-4.9.4 instead of the system gcc-5.3.0, there is no segfault on either page. There is also no problem with the SBo package that repackages the official binaries, or with Alien Bob's Pale Moon package. These tests were all done on Slackware64-14.2 with multilib.

So take that for what you will. It would be nice if others could confirm my results with the SBo package built with the two different compilers.
Thank you for reporting that. Would you mind testing aleinBob's script using the option in his build script to build palemoon with "official optimization"?
 
Old 05-04-2017, 10:21 PM   #28
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
Thank you for reporting that. Would you mind testing aleinBob's script using the option in his build script to build palemoon with "official optimization"?
Hm, seems to be broken.

Code:
 0:10.48 configure: error: These compiler flags are invalid: -O2 ac_add_options -msse2 ac_add_options -mfpmath=sse
 0:10.48 *** Fix above errors and then restart with\
 0:10.49                "/usr/bin/gmake -f client.mk build"
 0:10.49 /tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/Pale-Moon-27.3.0_Release/client.mk:361: recipe for target 'configure' failed
 0:10.49 gmake[2]: *** [configure] Error 1
 0:10.49 /tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/Pale-Moon-27.3.0_Release/client.mk:375: recipe for target '/tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/pmbuild/Makefile' failed
 0:10.49 gmake[1]: *** [/tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/pmbuild/Makefile] Error 2
 0:10.49 client.mk:171: recipe for target 'build' failed
 0:10.49 gmake: *** [build] Error 2
 0:10.53 0 compiler warnings present.
./palemoon.SlackBuild FAILED at line 282
It's building fine with OPTIMIZE=0 though.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-04-2017, 10:29 PM   #29
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 420

Original Poster
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 208Reputation: 208Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
Hm, seems to be broken.

Code:
 0:10.48 configure: error: These compiler flags are invalid: -O2 ac_add_options -msse2 ac_add_options -mfpmath=sse
 0:10.48 *** Fix above errors and then restart with\
 0:10.49                "/usr/bin/gmake -f client.mk build"
 0:10.49 /tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/Pale-Moon-27.3.0_Release/client.mk:361: recipe for target 'configure' failed
 0:10.49 gmake[2]: *** [configure] Error 1
 0:10.49 /tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/Pale-Moon-27.3.0_Release/client.mk:375: recipe for target '/tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/pmbuild/Makefile' failed
 0:10.49 gmake[1]: *** [/tmp/build/tmp-palemoon/pmbuild/Makefile] Error 2
 0:10.49 client.mk:171: recipe for target 'build' failed
 0:10.49 gmake: *** [build] Error 2
 0:10.53 0 compiler warnings present.
./palemoon.SlackBuild FAILED at line 282
It's building fine with OPTIMIZE=0 though.
Thank you. I am still convinced that building with gcc 4.9.4 in the case of palemoon is the "correct", or at least IMO desired, way to go about this.
 
Old 05-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #30
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,496

Rep: Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113Reputation: 1113
One more data point, since I just built it anyway. Alien Bob's Pale Moon doesn't segfault either when rebuilt here with the default optimization. The SBo version did segfault with equivalent optimization (-Os), but I also built that with ENABLE_DEBUG=yes. It's also a different version of Pale Moon. But I'm a bit burned out on compiling Pale Moon since I've done it 5-10 times in the last two days, so I'm not going to rebuild the SBo version with OPTIMIZE="-Os" and ENABLE_DEBUG=no.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LibreOffice from source SlackBuild. orbea Slackware 28 09-09-2018 05:35 PM
[SOLVED] Where might I find the kernel-source SlackBuild ? kjhambrick Slackware 12 10-19-2016 12:55 PM
Deepin Has Palemoon! michael diemer Linux Deepin 1 10-19-2016 08:04 AM
Can I use current Ooo source with slackware 13.37 slackbuild NightSky Slackware 13 11-06-2013 09:37 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:42 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration