SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us. If you need to reset your password, click here.
Having a problem logging in? Please visit this page to clear all LQ-related cookies.
Introduction to Linux - A Hands on Guide
This guide was created as an overview of the Linux Operating System, geared toward new users as an exploration tour and getting started guide, with exercises at the end of each chapter.
For more advanced trainees it can be a desktop reference, and a collection of the base knowledge needed to proceed with system and network administration. This book contains many real life examples derived from the author's experience as a Linux system and network administrator, trainer and consultant. They hope these examples will help you to get a better understanding of the Linux system and that you feel encouraged to try out things on your own.
Click Here to receive this Complete Guide absolutely free.
I normally use a script called xvidenc to encode to mp4/mkv. I've updated my -current to the latest as of today ( 22 Aug 2013 ) and now xvidenc says:
-> Checking for Xvid support in MEncoder... FAILED!
-> Download the Xvid 1.x.x library and recompile MPlayer
I've had this issue before and normally compile my own mplayer but as of now, I get the following error:
/usr/lib64/libpangocairo-1.0.so: undefined reference to `g_object_replace_qdata'
... near the end of the mplayer compile. I've tried the mplayer source build ( slackbuild ) from the distro itself and get the same error. Some google searches seem to indicate a problem with libpango.
My last working mplayer was MPlayer-1.1_20120701-x86_64-2 but no idea where I got this from or if I built it myself.
That was worded amiguously, you said you normally compile your own, and you said you used a slackbuild. Did you try compiling your own first and then try the slackbuild? I would try that, and check the flags if you have not already done so.
There's actually 2 issues here - the supposed ( according to xvidenc ) missing xvid support in mplayer -current and the failure to build mplayer on -current. There must be an issue on my system specifically causing the 2nd issue seeing as the package is built successfully in the distro itself. Not sure what it might be as the associated libs are from -current.
Hmmm... seems a little odd as I have just recompiled MPlayer on a 64bit system running the latest -current updates and all is well. It is a shot in the dark but: I don't use the stock slackware build script but my own script. I have had a quick look and as far as I can make out PV's/alienBOB's script uses an FFmpeg snapshot. Perhaps make your own script or dig into the Slackware one and allow the latest svn MPlayer to download and use the most recent git FFmpeg, there is an option for this in the ./configure process. Other than that I am afraid that I am out of ideas although it is good to see a fellow xvidenc user
Thanks Andrew, I think then this then is something specific to my rig - been upgrading along -current since 12.0 so maybe there is a lot of cruft around. I'm going to setup a spare system with a fresh -current and compile from there. Fun ... at last count I've got about 90 packages to install for a full av setup. Here we go!