SlackwareThis Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.
Welcome to LinuxQuestions.org, a friendly and active Linux Community.
You are currently viewing LQ as a guest. By joining our community you will have the ability to post topics, receive our newsletter, use the advanced search, subscribe to threads and access many other special features. Registration is quick, simple and absolutely free. Join our community today!
Note that registered members see fewer ads, and ContentLink is completely disabled once you log in.
Please post your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file's sections for your input device(s) and your server layout. Optionally, if you have done absolutely zero configuration of this file, please post the entire file (maybe this would be better).
that would take a year to type, i am on a different machine to access the web. i will just go back to 8.1 before i type that much
Hmm.. Well, whatever suits you. But it doesn't seem like you're too motivated to solve the problem.
I got the impression from your 1st post, that the mouse (and keyboard) work in the console.
The information you typed last time I asked is incomplete and difficult to put in context.
It would be ridiculous to try to type the entire file, I agree, but could you possibly copy the file to a floppy or USB device, using midnight commander for example, then stick it on the machine you're using and copy/paste it??
Or using the links browser, upload it to Pastebin?
There are also one or more tools you could perhaps use to try to auto-configure a working xorg.conf file. One of them I believe is 'xorg-config' though to be sure you'd have to look in /usr/bin or /bin to see for sure what you have.
Check the contents of /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse and /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
Your upgrade path is unusual. It may be that the psmouse module is blacklisted in /etc/modprobe./blacklist and or that you need to modify /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse. Also, be aware that all files in /etc/modprobe.d are inspected when modules are loaded at boot time. If you have any editor backup files or *.orig files in /etc/modprobe.d then they should be deleted.
the path was /dev/mouse i changed it trying what i read on someone elses mouse issue.
i'll check thoes things out later.
it is most likely the optiplex being picky. it didnt want to run the mouse in 8.1 either, that was simply change the device path to /dev/psaux and ps/2 for the type using XF86Config, 12.1 uses xorgconfig, and i put in exactly what i did to install 8.1.
if i cant figure it out i will re-run the 12.1 dvd and fully wipe the drive. when i did the upgrade, i let it reconfigure the kernel and all that stuff. i only have a web browser and slack on the pc, so it wont be any real loss the wipe.
i would like to resolve the issue, as the slack 8.1 appeared a lot more stable than other os's. and possibly there are other who might experience this.
If you haven't tried "IMPS/2" as the protocol, in xorg.conf, that is also worth a try. I have a PS/2 mouse and I set mine to that, and it works. I also use /dev/psaux but I'm not sure if this device exists by default, or if it need be enabled specifically in the kernel. dev/mouse is the usual default. I *think* they each point to the same place in the end, but don't quote me on that.
Continued good luck,
Last edited by GrapefruiTgirl; 08-15-2009 at 04:57 PM.