LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 10-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #16
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 368

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

It's pure logic and simple physics, not an assumption. DOS is faster than NT, same way tinycore is faster than most linux distros.
You can't expect 'allyesconfig" kernel to build faster than 'localmodconfig' kernel and you can't expect to backup a full 1Tb drive faster than 5Gb drive.
It's just physically not possible, arguing otherwise is a waste of time.

Last edited by elcore; 10-08-2017 at 12:12 PM. Reason: typo
 
Old 10-09-2017, 03:31 AM   #17
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware has beern Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 1,470

Rep: Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414Reputation: 1414
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcore View Post
It's pure logic and simple physics, not an assumption. DOS is faster than NT, same way tinycore is faster than most linux distros.
You can't expect 'allyesconfig" kernel to build faster than 'localmodconfig' kernel and you can't expect to backup a full 1Tb drive faster than 5Gb drive.
It's just physically not possible, arguing otherwise is a waste of time.
That's not a very good analogy, IMHO.

DOS is faster than NT because it takes far less resources to handle a Single User- Single Application System even with a shell on top than a multi-user, multi-tasking full GUI environment.

Tinycore? What is there preventing turning off of services so that the resources footprint is similar on any Linux distro providing very similar speed?

I am not altogether certain that build time is affected by whether or not one answers "yes" or "no" but I am quite certain that options set to "m" where appropriate modules are only loaded on-demand will RUN almost as fast as one that behaves like an embedded system where only the hardware that actually exists is supported. That's why they are called "modules". The entire kernel does not have to swing to load and unload modules, afaik. Even if I am mistaken on either of those I will bet that at best a frame per second or so difference would be the result of any "shootout".

Backups of a smaller system, at least full as opposed to incremental, are obviously going to be faster than on a larger system. Since full backups are rare, that's not something I worry about.

So in terms of gaming performance, it is indeed an assumption that smaller will be functionally faster in game.
 
Old 10-09-2017, 04:22 AM   #18
elcore
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2014
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 368

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
What is there preventing turning off of services so that the resources footprint is similar on any Linux distro providing very similar speed?
Normally it's the dependencies of dependencies, but not on Slackware which is one of the reasons I use it. There's only build dependency in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
I am not altogether certain that build time is affected by whether or not one answers "yes" or "no"
Regardless, there's weekly or bi-weekly updates to LTS kernels, and having a localmodconfig has saved a lot of time in the long run.
Building it takes just a few minutes, while if I had to build all modules it would take more than half hour to compile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Backups of a smaller system, at least full as opposed to incremental, are obviously going to be faster than on a larger system.
Full backups take long time to make, and the most logical procedure is to strip down what is mounted (i.e. root) so that you can do sector-by-sector backup in few minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
So in terms of gaming performance, it is indeed an assumption that smaller will be functionally faster in game.
On the same hardware, it will be the same performance unless the filesystem is heavily fragmented.
Though I'm not very familiar with modern gaming, there was a time when I played games all day (mostly DOS games) but it was not a very popular thing back then, it was actually frowned upon.
Nowadays it seems just like any other hobby, they even made it a sport. Personally I'd rather do something constructive, as I already left like thousand euros at blizzard and gained nothing.

Topic is derailed, anyway I hope it works out well for the OP and he succeeds in building his system.
 
Old 10-09-2017, 09:00 AM   #19
igadoter
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: slackware 12.2, scientific linux 6.4, knoppix 7.2, salix 14.1
Posts: 949

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Report from the front line: I was naive thinking it would be simple. I was able to play on Knoppix 7.0 (Linux Magazine edition) but neither 7.2 nor 7.4. I tried Salix 14.1 Mate, it was catastrophic, without Nvidia driver I was completely unable to even start game, now as I installed Nvidia driver I can start game but there is no keyboard, luckily in Diablo 2 almost all things can be done with mouse.
 
Old 10-09-2017, 01:46 PM   #20
ChuangTzu
Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix, FreeBSD, openSUSE, Debian
Posts: 449

Rep: Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311Reputation: 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
Report from the front line: I was naive thinking it would be simple. I was able to play on Knoppix 7.0 (Linux Magazine edition) but neither 7.2 nor 7.4. I tried Salix 14.1 Mate, it was catastrophic, without Nvidia driver I was completely unable to even start game, now as I installed Nvidia driver I can start game but there is no keyboard, luckily in Diablo 2 almost all things can be done with mouse.
There is Salix 14.2...been out for quite some time now...https://salixos.org/download.html
 
Old 10-12-2017, 08:09 AM   #21
igadoter
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: slackware 12.2, scientific linux 6.4, knoppix 7.2, salix 14.1
Posts: 949

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
There is Salix 14.2...been out for quite some time now...https://salixos.org/download.html
It was not my intention to blame Salix, I was rather tried to emphasize that Linux got similar problems like WS: no backward compatibility, some old games are as well unplayable on W10. This is how things are going: new not necessary is better but is new and shiny.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Minimal Linux Live now supports ZLIB and JDK 9 LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 09-23-2017 10:50 AM
LXer: Minimal Linux Live LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-28-2014 07:31 AM
live cd with minimal feature lipun4u Linux - Newbie 4 03-01-2010 04:16 PM
live cd with minimal features lipun4u Linux - Distributions 3 03-01-2010 08:08 AM
MINIMAL Live CD for CentOS with LVM support slinx Linux - General 1 04-10-2009 01:54 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration