LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-23-2024, 10:54 AM   #31
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 4,813

Rep: Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
One thing I don't understand is, why users leaving Slackware insist on creating a post here, telling the whole community about their decision. Quit your whining and leave. No one cares. Trust me, I know. Several years ago I did the same, however, I wrote a post in my own blog not at LQ.

Actually I am of the opinion that such posts are useful. Not only is it an opportunity for our excellent community to at least try to fix what triggered a fellow Slacker to contemplate leaving behind years of effort, service and comfort but it's a bellweather or a mine canary that informs our many benefactors that man the battlements of what areas might need special attention.
 
8 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:02 AM   #32
hazel
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2016
Location: Harrow, UK
Distribution: LFS, AntiX, Slackware
Posts: 7,702
Blog Entries: 19

Rep: Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503Reputation: 4503
I agree with enorbet. It is one thing when someone tries Slackware briefly and then starts complaining that it's no good, when what he really means is that it's not what he's used to. Regular slackers rightly get annoyed at this sort of behaviour. It's quite another matter when a longstanding slacker decides he has to give it up. That is grounds for a serious discussion.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 11:53 AM   #33
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: slackalaxy.com
Distribution: Slackware, CRUX
Posts: 1,457

Rep: Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
Actually I am of the opinion that such posts are useful. Not only is it an opportunity for our excellent community to at least try to fix what triggered a fellow Slacker to contemplate leaving behind years of effort, service and comfort but it's a bellweather or a mine canary that informs our many benefactors that man the battlements of what areas might need special attention.
you made a point there. In my case, it was the 5.5 years gap between releases, so nothing fellow slackers could do about that. Hope OP gets his issues resolved.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 12:58 PM   #34
however
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Distribution: slackware current
Posts: 523

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
My frustration with slackware was not so much about new releases (although this needs some attention in my opinion as older kernels can't handle [some] newer software) but more with the fact that to have the latest kernel and its bleeding-edge packages one has to go through so much i.e.: partitioning, efi/uefi, lilo/elilo, modules loading/not loading.... and one single installatuon of a random distro, in this case it was Debian but i guess i could have been any other, took care of everything in a single shot.
To be honest, i didnt stay on Debian very long (i was feeling like a fish-out-of-the-tank) and i dont want to judge/comment on their package management but i think slackware-packages developers is time they meet up and come wirh a SINGLE solution instead of having sbopkg, slpkg, pkgtool, slackpkg, slacjpkg+....

P.s.: it's still my number 1 distro and i think it will be for a long time!

Last edited by however; 05-23-2024 at 01:03 PM.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:03 PM   #35
marav
LQ Sage
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Location: Gironde
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,467

Rep: Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
(although this needs some attention in my opinion as older kernels can't handle [some] newer software)
... newer software hardware

software doesn't care which kernel you use
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 01:26 PM   #36
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,823

Rep: Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988
What does
Code:
neofetch
say?

Stable kernels in Current are much more adventurous than the LTS in 15.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 05:47 PM   #37
however
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Distribution: slackware current
Posts: 523

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
well, after almost 72hrs of banging my head around i found out that every time I flash the BIOS the HDD drive priority (not boot order) change.

I have about 6 external drives (3 SSD and 3 HDD) and, it happens that my internal drive where the OS is installed is also an SSD drive; i never paid attention to this detail (it's about 10-12 letters that distinguishes one drive from the other).

To cut a long story short, for three days I have been installing the OS on the internal SSD but GRUB was trying to boot a "non-existing" partition from another SSD external drive. Go figure how LILO/ELILO or GRUB during the installation process follows one storage drive and then it tries to boot another.

I guess the BIOS drives priority is also the reason why the OS was detecting an UEFI partition when I have never encountered that option during a slackware fresh install.

Now, with the correct drive in the BIOS priority list slackware current boots fine and launches all the time, through LILO (not ELILO), however the switching-off/rebooting issue has come back. I will get that sorted at some points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marav
... newer software hardware

software doesn't care which kernel you use
i won't argue as I am not a 'techie' user as you however, I wish I could show you the 100px thick white lines on the right area of one of the 2 screens i use (from top to bottom), during booting; something that only started about 5 or 6 kernel upgrades ago and DID NOT appear at all when i installed latest Debian. Isn't the kernel that dictates what software goes and what doesn't? aren't all the changes in MESA/Xservers, nouveau/nvidia, PULSE/ALSA related to changes in kernel development? and viceversa?

But, i am happy to have my system back, or at least part of it yet!
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 05:59 PM   #38
marav
LQ Sage
 
Registered: Sep 2018
Location: Gironde
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,467

Rep: Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226Reputation: 4226
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
and come wirh a SINGLE solution instead of having sbopkg, slpkg, pkgtool, slackpkg, slacjpkg+....
A SINGLE pkg manager, a SINGLE distribution, a SINGLE web browser, a SINGLE DE, a SINGLE graphic card, etc ...
Ok, but who decides?
Does everybody like RPM, RedHat, Chrome, Gnome, Nvidia ...?

Last edited by marav; 05-23-2024 at 06:02 PM.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:31 PM   #39
however
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Distribution: slackware current
Posts: 523

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by marav View Post
A SINGLE pkg manager, a SINGLE distribution, a SINGLE web browser, a SINGLE DE, a SINGLE graphic card, etc ...
Ok, but who decides?
Does everybody like RPM, RedHat, Chrome, Gnome, Nvidia ...?
Valid point. However, i was more referring on the line with a "single" reference point and then users (on their own responsibilities) decide what package, browser, tool, they wish to use.
Something like pkg.org is trying to achieve.
Surely,a slackware user would not download a Fedora package and vice versa; and definitely no user would use a browser or a tool that is not recommended or, a VGA driver that is known to be buggy.

Last edited by however; 05-24-2024 at 03:51 AM.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:45 PM   #40
agropec
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
Hi there,

and thanks for the tip which i wpuld be very happy to try if obly i could use the keyboard. Or, is there another way to downgrade the kernel perhaps, from a live CD?

Once the system boots, i cant use anything (including the mouse)
I have used Slackware from V 7, the best for me!

Have you tried via ssh or ssh console?

You could do everything that you need in that way.

PS:
Actually i have a problem in my Laptop:
i use triple boot, OpenBSD, Debian and Slackware 15; the problem is that i do partitions with cfdisk, leaving 1 for BUs; but it is not mounted anymore. Files can not be seen (accesed). It never had happend before!
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:46 PM   #41
agropec
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Posts: 39

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
Hi there,

and thanks for the tip which i wpuld be very happy to try if obly i could use the keyboard. Or, is there another way to downgrade the kernel perhaps, from a live CD?

Once the system boots, i cant use anything (including the mouse)
I have used Slackware from V 7, the best for me!

Have you tried via ssh or ssh console?

You could do everything that you need in that way.

PS:
Actually i have a problem in my Laptop:
i use triple boot, OpenBSD, Debian and Slackware 15; the problem is that i do partitions with cfdisk, leaving 1 for BackUps; but it is not mounted anymore. Files can not be seen (accessed). It never had happened before!
 
Old 05-23-2024, 07:26 PM   #42
RadicalDreamer
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: USA
Distribution: Slackware64-Current
Posts: 1,823

Rep: Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988Reputation: 988
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
To cut a long story short, for three days I have been installing the OS on the internal SSD but GRUB was trying to boot a "non-existing" partition from another SSD external drive. Go figure how LILO/ELILO or GRUB during the installation process follows one storage drive and then it tries to boot another.
The one issue I have with Slackware's installer is that we are at the mercy of it detecting uefi and where Slackware is installed on efi. If 15 is installed and you want to install Current too then the Slackware folder on the efi partition will be overwritten during installation of Current. I had to rename the Slackware 15 folder to something else so that didn't happen. I prefer elilo with refind. Grub looks like too much work. I just need to run elilo once to register it to nvram then I can copy the new vmlinuz and intitrd.gz to the Slackware folder on the efi partition after each update.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 08:15 PM   #43
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 4,813

Rep: Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
My frustration with slackware was not so much about new releases (although this needs some attention in my opinion as older kernels can't handle [some] newer software) but more with the fact that to have the latest kernel and its bleeding-edge packages one has to go through so much i.e.: partitioning, efi/uefi, lilo/elilo, modules loading/not loading.... and one single installatuon of a random distro, in this case it was Debian but i guess i could have been any other, took care of everything in a single shot.
What? I don't understand this. The kernel doesn't require any specific bootloader or it's partitioning scheme. An OpSys or distro might but not just the kernel.

FWIW, I have an ancient (2005) single core CPU system that although it's been a few months since I last booted it, has Slackware 14.0 installed on it with a 5.4.16 custom config'd kernel (it started out with a 3.2.x kernel iirc) so it would work with a more modern printer. It has PATA/IDE drives with MBR partitioning that boots and runs just fine, no problems with modules or anything else other than being slow compared to more modern boxen.

My Main has 15.0 with a custom built 6.1.32 kernel that has more than a dozen bootable systems on it usually, some MBR booted and most EFI booted. All work just fine. There's a lot more but I won't bore you with details. All that matters is it's not hard to upgrade kernels especially if you custom build them from source, which BTW is a PITA on many distros other than Slackware.

The reason that your initial install of Debian "took care of everything in a single shot" is that's who it's designed for - people that hate nuts and bolts and just want someone else to deal with it. That convenience comes at a cost. They make you weak.


Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
To be honest, i didnt stay on Debian very long (i was feeling like a fish-out-of-the-tank) and i dont want to judge/comment on their package management but i think slackware-packages developers is time they meet up and come wirh a SINGLE solution instead of having sbopkg, slpkg, pkgtool, slackpkg, slacjpkg+....
Didn't you say you've been running Slackware for decades? Surely then you know the most common complaint by Linux outsiders is "too many options" and again that's how the nuts and bolts haters think.

If that's what you want, and really that isn't altogether uncommon once the energy and exuberance at attacking learning curves of youth begins to wane, that's fine, but I'm betting you're spoiled by having the deep, easy control that Slackware is designed for. Don't forget that Slackware allows so much control it will let you break it./ Thankfully, there's not much guesswork as to what broke or how to get it all back working again.

Compare that with how many posts you can find of Windows and Windows-like distros that rely on either reboot or re-installation to fix everything. Which do you prefer?

Last edited by enorbet; 05-24-2024 at 05:21 PM. Reason: missed quote
 
Old 05-23-2024, 10:38 PM   #44
wpeckham
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Apr 2010
Location: Continental USA
Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS, Manjaro
Posts: 5,784

Rep: Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773Reputation: 2773
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
One thing I don't understand is, why users leaving Slackware insist on creating a post here, telling the whole community about their decision. Quit your whining and leave. No one cares. Trust me, I know. Several years ago I did the same, however, I wrote a post in my own blog not at LQ.
Perhaps because they value this community: it used to be more friendly and helpful most of the time. Less of this "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-24-2024, 01:36 AM   #45
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: slackalaxy.com
Distribution: Slackware, CRUX
Posts: 1,457

Rep: Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpeckham View Post
Perhaps because they value this community: it used to be more friendly and helpful most of the time. Less of this "don't let the door hit you on the way out" attitude.
this is a community where a well-respected member would occasionally be a dick to others, where someone's nationality was brought up as an argument against them and where some sort of weird "elitism" dictates that one should somehow earn their place first, before their contributions can be taken seriously or even looked at.

So, I am surprised that such a post might have hurt someone's feelings. You are right, though. I should be better than that, so I apologize if my post was too abrasive.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get first day of last month and last day of last month in bash xowl Linux - Software 18 02-09-2017 09:49 AM
An awful Comcast experience (warning: long long post) Cultist General 3 09-21-2013 11:50 AM
Aboout "with very long lines",how long is very long? yun1st Linux - Newbie 4 07-20-2012 03:38 PM
long long long: Too long for GCC Kenny_Strawn Programming 5 09-18-2010 01:14 AM
Long-time Slacker, first-time poster JimBrewster LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 02-02-2010 11:46 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration