LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 05-22-2024, 01:11 PM   #16
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys
Posts: 4,813

Rep: Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451Reputation: 4451

Greetz, however. You say nothing about what hardware you are using or if you monitor temps and voltages at all, but this is rather telling...

Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
- shut down (both from Konsole and Application Launcher) wouldn't switch the computer off but would reboot it,
- at random it turns itself off (apparently due to graphic overheating) while working on nothing too graphically heavy such as Open Office,
- certain packages would not install when, it seems that they install fine to everyone else on this forum,
- suddenly, my pc would boot in 800x600VGA mode without keyboard (although the keyboard works correctly if I launched a Slackware live CD),
- lately my video card, out of the blue, seems to pack&retire (declared faulty also by a renown computer system repair company where I reside).
Just because you sometimes get proper graphics does not demonstrate that your video card, or the voltage supplied to it) are not faulty. If voltage drops, current increases and that very often results in excessive heat. (BTW have you confirmed your fans are working properly or set them for proper cooling speeds?). If some single, hard working components have died (or become intermittent) or drifted in value either in your PSU or your Video card, every problem you mention is likely.

Also FWIW my Z490 era Main runs Slackware 15.0 with a custom 6.1.32 kernel wonderfully (excepting for Pulse ofc).

Suggestion - Boot from a live CD/USB to eliminate any OS concerns and since Eric's live CD allows for RW operations, install or activate lm_sensors or use STDOUT and nvidia-settings to see temps and voltages OR do it even in BIOS hardware info where no OS is involved and the system is essentially at idle.

Again, while LuckyCyborg is dead on that Current isn't always stable, I strongly suspect hardware issues. It is also somewhat possible some missed or typo'd user setting could be responsible but I'd check hardware first.

Re: moving to Debian after 20 years on Slackware -

If you have to try this, do yourself a solid and don't wipe your Slackware system. I recently installed Ubuntu Studio because it is far enough along with Pipewire to be able to uninstall Pulseaudio (which I vehemently despise!) on my rather heavily multiboot Main. In had to try because of the heavy load in video editing I'm now involved in and Pulse created HUGE A/V sync issues because of it's severe latency.

(Note: before anyone gets triggered I recognize that Pulse was fantastic for some who rely on onboard sound and only need audio for casual use, but FYI it royally sux for Pro Sound)

All that aside, Ubuntu has been quite a nightmare and I suspect mostly from my own ignorance but things have rather drastically changed even from just 10 years ago. Almost Everything is binary now. Forget about simple text editing for even rather simple tweaks AND (this is maybe the worst) any research you do to solve any issue or even some truly basic operations changes with almost every new release! You cannot rely on operations advice for 20.04 on 22.04 let alone 24.04. Also many error messages are nebulous and non-specific ("Ooops! Grub install failed and we don't know why so check these several files for syntax errors").

Again, considerable of my problems are caused by my ignorance after growing accustomed to the extremely serious control Slackware allows... however that is very likely your situation as well, so if you must try, BACKUP!

Last edited by enorbet; 05-22-2024 at 01:20 PM.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:04 PM   #17
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Leinster, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 2,205

Rep: Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781
I would go along with those who suspect impending hardware failure. Intermittent problems are usually a good indicator of this. Power, memory, heat, mainboard -- many intangibles, unfortunately, and very difficult to diagnose.
 
Old 05-22-2024, 02:14 PM   #18
garpu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,617

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
I would go along with those who suspect impending hardware failure. Intermittent problems are usually a good indicator of this. Power, memory, heat, mainboard -- many intangibles, unfortunately, and very difficult to diagnose.
I would suspect power supply...I had one let out the magic smoke once, and I was having a lot of the same symptoms. Undervolted, it could be rolling back to a "safe" mode/resolution to boot in.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:19 PM   #19
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Leinster, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 2,205

Rep: Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781Reputation: 1781
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
I would suspect power supply...I had one let out the magic smoke once, and I was having a lot of the same symptoms. Undervolted, it could be rolling back to a "safe" mode/resolution to boot in.
A critical component that most people don't want to spend much money on. I would rather spend most of my budget on a good motherboard and PSU than CPU and graphics.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-22-2024, 02:26 PM   #20
garpu
Senior Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,617

Rep: Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935Reputation: 935
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
A critical component that most people don't want to spend much money on. I would rather spend most of my budget on a good motherboard and PSU than CPU and graphics.
Yuuuup. One smoldering PSU can be way more costly than what a good one costs.
 
Old 05-22-2024, 08:03 PM   #21
thirdm
Member
 
Registered: May 2013
Location: Massachusetts
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD, Debian, 9front
Posts: 327

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
...
Re: moving to Debian after 20 years on Slackware -

If you have to try this, do yourself a solid and don't wipe your Slackware system. I recently installed Ubuntu Studio because it is far enough along with Pipewire to be able to uninstall Pulseaudio (which I vehemently despise!) on my rather heavily multiboot Main. In had to try because of the heavy load in video editing I'm now involved in and Pulse created HUGE A/V sync issues because of it's severe latency.
I agree with this thought. Once I had the opposite issue where I'd gotten re-enthused about Debian (happens periodically, I like them too) but after an upgrade somehow the software went over the edge to where graphics or cpu was not keeping up with playing DVDs. I suspect some change in nouveau through that kernel series, but I never got to the bottom of it, but insteaded declared my debian time to be heresy and went back to the one true distro, Slackware, which played the DVDs just fine. I kept the Debian partition and found that the problem went away on the next Debian major upgrade (and I never learned anything ).

When coming from a place of little understanding (not criticizing, that's where I am too), when switching distros seems to help, well don't be surprised if you find yourself later in a position where the opposite switch may escape some other bind. The best thing would be to stick it out and gain the understanding to solve the problem in place, but linux+gnu+everything_else has gotten awfully complicated, so I can relate and resemble.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 01:28 AM   #22
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: slackalaxy.com
Distribution: Slackware, CRUX
Posts: 1,457

Rep: Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009
One thing I don't understand is, why users leaving Slackware insist on creating a post here, telling the whole community about their decision. Quit your whining and leave. No one cares. Trust me, I know. Several years ago I did the same, however, I wrote a post in my own blog not at LQ.
 
6 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:02 AM   #23
Petri Kaukasoina
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 1,960

Rep: Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571Reputation: 1571
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
One thing I don't understand is, why users leaving Slackware insist on creating a post here, telling the whole community about their decision.
Some people like to write a long background story, but there was a question, too:

Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
Launch Slackware CD and the keyboard is there; i can type, move the cursor, delete, etc.... boot the installed OS: NOTHING! NO KEYBOARD and in VGA mode. Re-installed Slackware, twice,...
...
OK, there are too many questions and anomalies, again, that I understand would need to be answered; for example, why it didn't work also when i did a clean re-install?
...
I just don't know what else to try.
...
i would be delighted to hear any opinions on what it could causes my computer to behave like this when I install slackware-current (I guess, i haven't tried to install Slackware 15 Stable... maybe I will do it later).
To me it looked like a kernel-modules mismatch.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 02:09 AM   #24
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: slackalaxy.com
Distribution: Slackware, CRUX
Posts: 1,457

Rep: Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009
Quote:
I haven't tried to install Slackware 15 Stable
this alone tells you enough
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:32 AM   #25
however
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Distribution: slackware current
Posts: 523

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by solarfields View Post
One thing I don't understand is, why users leaving Slackware insist on creating a post here, telling the whole community about their decision. Quit your whining and leave. No one cares. Trust me, I know. Several years ago I did the same, however, I wrote a post in my own blog not at LQ.
I apologize if my post annoyed you; i wasn't whining (maybe i was) but i don't have a 'whining blog' and, in reality, i was only hoping for suggestions, to try as a last resort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petri Kaukasoina
Some thoughts.

Bad VGA mode and missing keyboard sound like a kernel running without matching modules. Do you boot using UEFI? I could imagine that after each reinstall of Slackware your UEFI still always boots the same old kernel from the EFI partition, different to which kernel and modules you have installed on your root filesystem. You could use video recording of the boot to reveal the kernel version. You could boot from an install disk and chroot to the installed root fs and there you could run 'efibootmgr -v' to see what UEFI boots. grub could be more reliable than elilo, and it would boot the kernel from the root filesystem instead of from the EFI partition.
In fact, this seemed helpful, at first. I had always ignored the EFI/UEFI boot factor but it seems that the latest kernels really wants to know whether to use the classic LILO or the new ELILO.
After adjusting this parameter last night (something i never did during full install as I always format all partitions) slackware was flawless (15 first and then tried also current for curiosity). Launching and running like usual.

Went to bed and this morning, again, the PC wouldn't start. All fans were spinning at top speed, as it the computer was melting.... So back to hardware issues?

I realized that this "diagnostic" process is mentally stressful and is taking too much time so, I will.... I am tempted to say "pack it in the garage and build a new desktop from scratch" but, i know I won't.

Anyhow, thanks for all the inputs. I will keep the struggle to myself.

p.s.: I didn't save $$ when choosing a desktop case and, according to the tech store, there was nothing wrong with the PSU as they tested it.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 03:53 AM   #26
rizitis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Greece,Crete
Distribution: Slackware64-current, Slint
Posts: 722
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
@however if you still want one last try please try these:
1. install grub and use
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"
2.
Code:
echo "blacklist usbhid" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-usbhid.conf
3. create initrd

3. update grub
 
Old 05-23-2024, 03:56 AM   #27
rizitis
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2009
Location: Greece,Crete
Distribution: Slackware64-current, Slint
Posts: 722
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533Reputation: 533
@however if you still want one last try please try these:
1. install grub and use
Code:
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash usbcore.autosuspend=-1"
2.
Code:
echo "blacklist usbhid" | sudo tee /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist-usbhid.conf
3. create initrd

3. update grub

Sorry I cant edit my post because of cloudfare... so:
By following these steps, i think you should be able to isolate the issue and determine whether it's hardware-specific or a problem with the current Slackware configuration kernel or idk what... I suspect PS but...
 
Old 05-23-2024, 05:10 AM   #28
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: slackalaxy.com
Distribution: Slackware, CRUX
Posts: 1,457

Rep: Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009Reputation: 1009
Quote:
Originally Posted by however View Post
I apologize if my post annoyed you; i wasn't whining (maybe i was) but i don't have a 'whining blog' and, in reality, i was only hoping for suggestions, to try as a last resort.
no need to apologize, it's not your fault we have already had a bunch of "I'm leaving Slackware! Farewell!" drama posts.
 
Old 05-23-2024, 06:55 AM   #29
0XBF
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2018
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 806

Rep: Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934Reputation: 934
You can omit 'splash', since Slackware doesn't come with Plymouth or use any fancy splash screens to cover up the kernel and init's boot messages. You also might want to omit 'quiet', since boot messages are helpful when troubleshooting problems.

Of course if you've given up on Slackware then it wont matter.

It does sound like hardware failure to me. I had the pleasure of owning a 2011 MacBook Pro that slowly unsoldered its nvidia GPU from the mainboard over the course of 5-6 years, thanks to the poorly designed aluminum unibody design that failed to manage heat properly. Eventually it bricked the laptop, after the warranty expired of course (consequently, that was the last Apple product I ever bought).
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-23-2024, 09:01 AM   #30
however
Member
 
Registered: Jan 2019
Distribution: slackware current
Posts: 523

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I have NOT given up on slackware; should I give up on my desktop and decide to build a new pc, the first thing to be installed will be slackware

Last edited by however; 05-24-2024 at 03:48 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get first day of last month and last day of last month in bash xowl Linux - Software 18 02-09-2017 09:49 AM
An awful Comcast experience (warning: long long post) Cultist General 3 09-21-2013 11:50 AM
Aboout "with very long lines",how long is very long? yun1st Linux - Newbie 4 07-20-2012 03:38 PM
long long long: Too long for GCC Kenny_Strawn Programming 5 09-18-2010 01:14 AM
Long-time Slacker, first-time poster JimBrewster LinuxQuestions.org Member Intro 1 02-02-2010 11:46 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:52 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration