LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


View Poll Results: What windows manager do you use for you divine slackbox?
KDE 60 37.04%
Xfce 58 35.80%
GNOME 1 0.62%
other (blackbox, MATE, etc.) 43 26.54%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 04-28-2019, 02:57 PM   #46
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,588
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595Reputation: 1595

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackware_fan_Fred View Post
KDE sucks... imo
I've always liked Gnome 2 but also switched when Gnome 3 came out, I hate it. So I switched to XFCE.
I absolutely loved GNOME 3, though I can see why people detest it. It does things in a completely different way, but even though it looks great, it does sacrifice some usability. I don't really like the idea of having to add thigns through extensions, and the fact that one can't see every open application on the top panel is very irritating if one is working on a lot of things simultaneously. This is one of the reasons I switched to Xfce: it's simple, stable and very effective for work.
 
Old 04-28-2019, 04:12 PM   #47
hernanmedellin
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Mar 2006
Location: Monterrey, México
Distribution: Slackware64 Current
Posts: 29

Rep: Reputation: 12
Cool

MSB
 
Old 04-28-2019, 04:41 PM   #48
Slackware_fan_Fred
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2018
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2 Multilib
Posts: 69

Rep: Reputation: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
I absolutely loved GNOME 3, though I can see why people detest it. It does things in a completely different way, but even though it looks great, it does sacrifice some usability. I don't really like the idea of having to add thigns through extensions, and the fact that one can't see every open application on the top panel is very irritating if one is working on a lot of things simultaneously. This is one of the reasons I switched to Xfce: it's simple, stable and very effective for work.
From your opinion on Gnome 3 I was going to give it a try again but found out it needs systmd, no way do I want that thing on my system.
 
Old 04-28-2019, 06:33 PM   #49
Skaendo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 889

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slackware_fan_Fred View Post
From your opinion on Gnome 3 I was going to give it a try again but found out it needs systmd, no way do I want that thing on my system.
Gnome3 does not "require" systemd. I built Gnome 3.30 on Slackware64-current. GDM however, does need systemd or at least hacked to use elogind which I got tired of trying and gave up on it. That and Gnome 3 needs a newer upower (and ffmpeg now) than Slackware ships.

https://gitlab.com/SlackDesk/gnome/3.30
No warranty on those scripts, I haven't messed with it in a while because as you can tell from the poll, no one runs Gnome on Slackware.

I actually have a few DE's that I've built here: https://gitlab.com/SlackDesk/

Those are not all my own works, some I'v borrowed from SBo and some from other places.

Last edited by Skaendo; 04-28-2019 at 06:37 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:47 PM   #50
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,491

Rep: Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaendo View Post
Gnome3 does not "require" systemd. I built Gnome 3.30 on Slackware64-current. GDM however, does need systemd or at least hacked to use elogind which I got tired of trying and gave up on it.
I tried that once too with Dropline, and never had any luck either. I use Gnome 3 at work. It's not half bad once you add a few extensions. I really don't like the Gnome devs' habit of removing or hiding functionality for no reason, though. IMO, Cinnamon is basically what Gnome 3 should have been.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:25 PM   #51
Skaendo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 889

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
I tried that once too with Dropline, and never had any luck either. I use Gnome 3 at work. It's not half bad once you add a few extensions. I really don't like the Gnome devs' habit of removing or hiding functionality for no reason, though. IMO, Cinnamon is basically what Gnome 3 should have been.
Yep, I run Cinnamon on my daily laptop, FVWM on my build rig, and always changing DE's (XFCE, E22, MATE, LXQt, etc) on my test laptop. Just depends on how I feel that day.
 
Old 04-28-2019, 09:06 PM   #52
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware, OpenBSD, Arch
Posts: 5,768

Rep: Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887Reputation: 1887
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
I use Gnome 3 at work.
You are fortunate to be able to use Linux at work. My work experience was mostly with Windows. I enjoy reading anecdotes about businesses that embrace open source software.
 
Old 04-28-2019, 09:16 PM   #53
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,491

Rep: Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitest View Post
You are fortunate to be able to use Linux at work. My work experience was mostly with Windows. I enjoy reading anecdotes about businesses that embrace open source software.
Thankfully, my line of work requires it. I have a Windows machine too, like everyone else, but I don't need to do anything very serious with it.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2019, 09:20 PM   #54
Gordie
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Location: Nolalu, Ontario, Canada
Posts: 521

Rep: Reputation: 179Reputation: 179
I like KDE Plasma 5 but use XFCE most of the time. It works with me and allows me to get er done
 
Old 04-28-2019, 10:07 PM   #55
frankbell
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Jan 2006
Location: Virginia, USA
Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu MATE, Mageia, and whatever VMs I happen to be playing with
Posts: 14,950
Blog Entries: 25

Rep: Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209Reputation: 4209
(evil grin) I decided to expand on why I loathe the Gnome 3 interface with the fire of a thousand suns.

The overarching beef is the decision, because of the popularity of tablets and phablets, to treat all computers as if they were tablets or phablets (this was also my beef with Unity--as an aside, the notion of "convergence," in my opinion, was an insult to users, in that it assumed that users were too stupid to deal with different interfaces on different devices).

My primary beef with the interface is its insistence that all applications should be maximized on startup. Fine if you're using a tablet, but on a 23" monitor--really now, what's wrong with over-lapping windows?

Also, what's with that column of icons down the left side of the screen? I like a clean desktop--translation: no desktop icons. I like my pretty wallpaper pictures and don't want them obscured by a clutter of spots.

And why should I have to type in three or four or five letters in a dialogue box to render a menu when, in other interfaces, I can render a menu in one or two mouse clicks?

I'm not a big fan of MATE or Cinnamon, but I find them tolerable, because they know that, even though a smartphone is a computer, a computer is not necessarily a smartphone.

Just my two cents.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:17 PM   #56
Skaendo
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2014
Location: West Texas, USA
Distribution: Slackware64-14.2
Posts: 889

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
The overarching beef is the decision, because of the popularity of tablets and phablets, to treat all computers as if they were tablets or phablets (this was also my beef with Unity--as an aside, the notion of "convergence," in my opinion, was an insult to users, in that it assumed that users were too stupid to deal with different interfaces on different devices).
Sounds like something that Microshaft would do. Oh wait, Windows 8 & 10 are just that.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-28-2019, 10:52 PM   #57
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,491

Rep: Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111Reputation: 1111
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
My primary beef with the interface is its insistence that all applications should be maximized on startup. Fine if you're using a tablet, but on a 23" monitor--really now, what's wrong with over-lapping windows?
Maybe that's something that they did when it first came out, but it doesn't do that anymore. Windows open normal size, at least on my system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
Also, what's with that column of icons down the left side of the screen? I like a clean desktop--translation: no desktop icons. I like my pretty wallpaper pictures and don't want them obscured by a clutter of spots.
You mean the "Dash?" It's hidden by default and only appears when you click the super key or hover over the hot corner. Personally, I use the Dash to Dock extension to make it behave like a regular dock or panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbell View Post
And why should I have to type in three or four or five letters in a dialogue box to render a menu when, in other interfaces, I can render a menu in one or two mouse clicks?
The thing that really gets me is the fact that there no longer seems to be a way to type a path manually in the file open dialog. The only possible way is to click folders with the mouse. I think that supports your "they think everything is a smartphone" hypothesis.

In any case, when I am using Gnome 3 the UI usually doesn't bother me so much, primarily because of the fact that I'm doing most of my work in a terminal and file browsing with mc. I still can't avoid encountering some nonsense, though.
 
Old 04-28-2019, 10:53 PM   #58
Pixxt
Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Distribution: Slackware, Debian,
Posts: 182

Rep: Reputation: 73
KDE is the best DE I have used outside of older Mac OS X releases.

XFCE is nice but not as good as Gnome2/MATE.

XFCE and MATE are stuck with GTK 2/3 which is not as good as QT which is one of the main reasons be why I prefer KDE over them.
 
Old 04-29-2019, 12:38 AM   #59
ReFracture
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Location: Underneath The Waves
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 45

Rep: Reputation: 66
I run XFCE because Slackware lacks KDE5 Plasma.

If Slackware 15 ships with KDE5 Plasma I'll switch to that.

Otherwise I'll switch to a distro that has it. I like XFCE and all but Plasma 5 is a significantly nicer DE and that's what I want to use.

Don't get me wrong I know of ktown and appreciate it but one too many times a -current update broke things, and Eric's patience in maintaining it while hoping Patrick adds it to Slackware someday won't last forever.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:41 AM   #60
kgha
Member
 
Registered: May 2018
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE
Posts: 123

Rep: Reputation: 86
MATE serves my needs perfectly. XFCE is nice, but I find MATE slightly more user friendly. My first slackware experience was with the now abandoned FluxFLux distro, using LXDE. Loved that, and sometimes think that I should try out LXDE again (or maybe LXQt).
 
  


Reply

Tags
gnome, kde, other_command, slackware, xfce


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] xfce not started in init 4, kde is started, although xfce was chosen during installation apmount Slackware 4 11-21-2018 11:20 AM
How to install xfce 4.6 at /opt/xfce? josealexandre Linux - General 2 03-01-2009 12:31 PM
XFce and Compiz : xfce doesn't manage the desktop naaman Linux - Desktop 0 07-16-2008 01:39 AM
XFCE Network ServersI use XFCE (sometimes) but I can not find my network folders on a holzster Ubuntu 0 10-24-2006 05:48 PM
Xfce problems with task bar and xfce-panel aeruzcar Linux - Software 4 06-26-2006 05:29 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:23 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration