LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Linux Power User Bundle
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-20-2015, 03:11 PM   #1
gordydawg
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 40

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
KDE audio mixer and Xine in Slackware-current 11/20/2015


Trying out Slackware64-current, after the switchover to eudev and accompanying changes. Even though ALSA is setup and running, kmix in KDE, does not launch or run. But I do have sound. Puzzling.

And on a related note, launching Xine appears to lockup the desktop.

More grist for the current mill.

Last edited by gordydawg; 11-20-2015 at 03:14 PM.
 
Old 11-20-2015, 04:08 PM   #2
bassmadrigal
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: West Jordan, UT, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 5,374

Rep: Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141Reputation: 3141
Was this a fresh install or an upgrade from a previous installation? What happens if you launch kmix from the command prompt?
 
Old 11-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #3
gordydawg
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
Was this a fresh install or an upgrade from a previous installation? What happens if you launch kmix from the command prompt?
It's a fresh install, and I do have kmix package installed, but when launching kmix from the command prompt, this error message pops up.


kmix: error while loading shared libraries: libtdb.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
 
Old 11-20-2015, 11:45 PM   #4
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,423

Rep: Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349Reputation: 2349
have you got a full installation? because it seems like you are missing the samba package...
 
Old 11-21-2015, 12:23 AM   #5
gordydawg
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
have you got a full installation? because it seems like you are missing the samba package...
Now that's odd, current now has a dependency in Samba that KDE requires?

In the past, from Slackware 14.1 and past, I've opted *not* to install Samba and kmix worked fine. When did that change?
 
Old 11-21-2015, 12:37 AM   #6
orbea
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2015
Distribution: Slackware64-current
Posts: 1,374

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
You could always grab the slackbuild from the source directory on any current mirror and recompile it without samba. Or just install samba with slackpkg.
 
Old 11-21-2015, 04:45 AM   #7
Drakeo
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2008
Location: Urbana IL
Distribution: Slackware, Slacko,
Posts: 3,528
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440Reputation: 440
Actually I had this problem on a full install. For some weird reason it kept looking in /etc/samba/ for the samba config.
I reinstalled samba and still had a problem. This happen also when loading dolphin dolphin started but the feed back kept running.
I log out then logged in as root in kde ran dolphin did not have the issue. logged out of root back into as user problem was gone.
I have no clue why. This is a kde issue because I ran it from xfce4 as user before I did as root and it did not complain of the samba config file and not loading the libraries.
I have no clue to this day why it happen. I have installed it twice in VM did not happen. only happen in a full install on the hardrive.
I have been unable to reproduce it. so for some reason kde did not create an kde--.rc file I would guess and logging in and out may have caused it to.
Just a guess.
 
Old 11-21-2015, 08:44 AM   #8
gordydawg
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2013
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 40

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakeo View Post
Actually I had this problem on a full install. For some weird reason it kept looking in /etc/samba/ for the samba config.
I reinstalled samba and still had a problem. This happen also when loading dolphin dolphin started but the feed back kept running.
I log out then logged in as root in kde ran dolphin did not have the issue. logged out of root back into as user problem was gone.
I have no clue why. This is a kde issue because I ran it from xfce4 as user before I did as root and it did not complain of the samba config file and not loading the libraries.
I have no clue to this day why it happen. I have installed it twice in VM did not happen. only happen in a full install on the hardrive.
I have been unable to reproduce it. so for some reason kde did not create an kde--.rc file I would guess and logging in and out may have caused it to.
Just a guess.
To clarify,I was able to run 64current up to Nov 6 changelog with kmix running fine in KDE whether Samba was installed or not.

It wasn't until after the massive changes (Nov 14 and 18), has this consistently cropped up, along with your notes.

Drakeo, I'm curious in your VM install, if running KDE as a user only (no XFCE), if you notice Xine halting (no error messages if launching from command console).
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Slackware-Current on a MacBook Pro 2015 Report dugan Slackware 15 01-31-2016 05:59 PM
[SOLVED] slackware current 11/15/2015 Xorg Nvidia ABI Drakeo Slackware 13 11-20-2015 02:00 PM
[SOLVED] slackware current 9-2015 kde problems Drakeo Slackware 1 09-06-2015 05:33 PM
[SOLVED] after upgrading to current from slack64 14.1, kde won't run July 21 2015 babbab Slackware 6 07-21-2015 09:35 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration