LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-30-2019, 08:38 PM   #436
abga
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2017
Location: EU
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,633

Rep: Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925Reputation: 925

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
IT is critical to every sector of society now, yet the bean counters seem to think IT is no more important than serving burgers. Something doesn't add up.
Yet it does add up and you are ironically enough on-topic, the "bean counters" you mentioned were provided with a tool that was designed for them. The background for systemd was to unify and simplify administrative tasks. Translated in requirements for the "bean counters" = low skills, simple training and able to follow simple procedures.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/System_D
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-30-2019, 11:03 PM   #437
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: CentOS, OpenSUSE
Posts: 3,442

Rep: Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
But why should I? I did Postfix+Dovecot, LDAP, PXE, RDP over VNC, multiple virtual networks on a single Xen host, etc., ten years ago. Packet filtering and bandwidth shaping on OpenBSD fifteen years ago. I'm no longer running around as an IT guy. I have neither pretensions about nor ambitions beyond my very low rung on the IT ladder. You obviously still consider that important. Good for you, but I simply don't care one bit to use a bleeding OS to do the same things you use it for. I have run Slackware and do run Slackware for different purposes, and it suits me far more than OpenSUSE does, or Scientific Linux ever did.

Good for you Niki, but please don't keep telling us directly and indirectly you and Ivandi are so much superior because you've narrowed in on one aspect of enterprise that CentOS and SUSE do best. We simply don't care, because that's just your area. It's not ours, and it most certainly doesn't prove Slackware is any less suitable for enterprise purposes. Again, good for you, but we simply don't care, and we don't particularly look forward to either of you visiting the Slackware forum to tell us how superior you are and how much more important your work is. If Slackware and its users are so far beneath you just trundle off and spend your life in the SUSE and CentOS forums instead, where you can at least mix with your equals.
Sorry to have bothered you then.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2019, 05:00 AM   #438
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 2,149
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
A US company here in Ireland offered me a job in IT and I was staggered to learn how poor the pay was. On a par with McDonalds, and not even at manager level. IT is critical to every sector of society now, yet the bean counters seem to think IT is no more important than serving burgers. Something doesn't add up.
Isn't it something to do with saturation and exploitation? i.e. the very fact that IT is critical to every sector of society accounts for the reason why pay is so poor.

To give you a similar example, my previous company used to do a lot of work with Apple, and Apple would pay their own employees chicken feed. And we asked them, because we had quite a good relationship with them, why they paid their employees so little. Their response was words to the effect of, "because people are queueing up to work for us. If someone doesn't want to work for us for low pay, no problem, we'll just take the next in the queue."
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:19 AM   #439
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,857

Rep: Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334Reputation: 1334
Quote:
Originally Posted by kikinovak View Post
Sorry to have bothered you then.
When you tell me to "Spend hours and days and weeks" doing work that means the world to you but nothing to me, you're not bothering me. You're patronising me.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-31-2019, 11:30 AM   #440
kikinovak
MLED Founder
 
Registered: Jun 2011
Location: Montpezat (South France)
Distribution: CentOS, OpenSUSE
Posts: 3,442

Rep: Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111Reputation: 2111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
When you tell me to "Spend hours and days and weeks" doing work that means the world to you but nothing to me, you're not bothering me. You're patronising me.
I'll make it up to you then. Give me your address, and I'll send you a free copy of my brand new book about Linux server administration.
 
Old 09-02-2019, 04:26 AM   #441
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia, Slackware
Posts: 958
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
A quick search on distrowatch shows that 104 (incl.bsd etc) of those distroes run non-systemd while 187 run with systemd.

Just interesting I guess.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:00 AM   #442
cynwulf
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Posts: 2,594
Blog Entries: 7

Rep: Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064Reputation: 2064
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuangTzu View Post
Zheng He: Columbus and De Gama's largest ships were the size of the lifeboats on Zheng He fleet.
I remember reading a book about that about 15 years ago whilst I was still living in South America. I bought it in the airport and took it with me - which was wise, because finding English language books was hard back then. It was interesting, but as I understand it, it's still very much disputed by historians (and the author was no historian).
 
Old 09-03-2019, 12:09 PM   #443
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,971
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
The only way to find out if it can work for you is to try it. Download a distro that comes with it and install it in a VM.
Good luck.
I think to install Linux with systemd in VM to test systemd is pointless.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:08 PM   #444
rkelsen
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2004
Distribution: slackware
Posts: 2,807

Rep: Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992Reputation: 992
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
The only way to find out if it can work for you is to try it. Download a distro that comes with it and install it in a VM.
Good luck.
I think to install Linux with systemd in VM to test systemd is pointless.
Why do you say that?

My somewhat limited understanding is that that is how most of its users use it.

At least with a VM you can learn how it works and tear it apart without fear of breaking anything important. VMs are great for that purpose.
 
Old 09-03-2019, 11:20 PM   #445
verndog
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Posts: 224

Rep: Reputation: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazel View Post
The equivalent of heroin is Facebook!
Along with the smartphone.
 
Old 09-04-2019, 02:53 AM   #446
igadoter
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: many, primary Slackware
Posts: 1,971
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkelsen View Post
Why do you say that?
At least with a VM you can learn how it works and tear it apart without fear of breaking anything important. VMs are great for that purpose.
To learn systemd - commands etc. its OK, but to test against all its failures - I don't think having Linux with systemd in VM would help much.
 
Old 09-04-2019, 04:54 AM   #447
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia, Slackware
Posts: 958
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
while 187 run with systemd.
An interesting coincidence
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/187_(slang)

Commonly referred in movies as the code for murder.
 
Old 09-04-2019, 05:14 AM   #448
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 2,149
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
A quick search on distrowatch shows that 104 (incl.bsd etc) of those distroes run non-systemd while 187 run with systemd.

Just interesting I guess.
It's 40 more if one includes dormant distros [i.e distros which haven't put out a new release in over two years - apparently Slackware does not fall into this category because of the work on -current, in fact, every time the changelog for -current is updated, the 'release date' of -current on DW changes].

And it's a massive 556 distros that are using, and have used, systemd if one includes everything.

Last edited by Lysander666; 09-04-2019 at 05:17 AM.
 
Old 09-04-2019, 06:09 AM   #449
zeebra
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2011
Distribution: Mageia, Slackware
Posts: 958
Blog Entries: 11

Rep: Reputation: 271Reputation: 271Reputation: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
It's 40 more if one includes dormant distros [i.e distros which haven't put out a new release in over two years - apparently Slackware does not fall into this category because of the work on -current, in fact, every time the changelog for -current is updated, the 'release date' of -current on DW changes].

And it's a massive 556 distros that are using, and have used, systemd if one includes everything.
True, but if you do that with non-systemd distroes as well, you end up with 345, so the ratio is roughly the same.
 
Old 09-04-2019, 06:40 AM   #450
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian, Slackware
Posts: 2,149
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431Reputation: 2431
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeebra View Post
True, but if you do that with non-systemd distroes as well, you end up with 345, so the ratio is roughly the same.
Ah but that's an unreliable statistic, since many of those distros lived and died before systemd existed.

Last edited by Lysander666; 09-04-2019 at 06:42 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Q. Can your Linux PC run Crysis? OK, it can. But will it run natively? A. Soon, very soon LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 03-11-2014 11:01 PM
LXer: My Nerd Life: Too Loud, Too Funny, Too Smart, Too Fat LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-24-2014 05:21 AM
LXer: Abolishing patents: Too soon or too late? LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 01-09-2013 02:20 PM
Application Assessment for Linux Migration MSquared Linux - Software 1 02-02-2005 05:14 PM
Probed and Attacked - Battle Damage Assessment halifax Linux - Security 2 08-17-2003 08:06 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:00 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration