Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.


  Search this Thread
Old 11-29-2005, 08:23 PM   #1
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 273

Rep: Reputation: 30
internet strangeness

I've got a slackware 10.0 installation and I've had it since 9.0. Just recently, last night in fact, it began to get a bit buggy on the internet. At the same time, my other linux computer, also slackware, began having problems.

They're both on a LAN, made using a dlink router, I'm using addresses with the 4th plug in the dlink router going to a netgear router in my room.

This configuration has been working flawlessly for many a month, but just last night I became unable to access websites on firefox. I decided it was probably a problem with my ISP (Adelphia) as it always is and I went to sleep. Today however, I found that the problem is presisting. When I try to ping it will usually take some time before ping will type that first line, something to the effect of
PING (145,357.345.234) 45(84) bytes of data

then afterward it will take quite a while before it starts saying that it got responses even though it will report response time at 58 to 70 ms when it does come in. Each response takes about 4 to 8 seconds.

Now I can't even do that though. Now when I try to ping a website it will usually say that it got responses in ample or slightly more than ample time, but it still takes a few seconds before it says that it got each response in so many miliseconds. When I ping the IP address that it says that it resolved however, it works instantly and just as it should.

So, it seems I've a problem with address resolution, or something ot that effect. Does anyone have any idea what this could be and why it might happen?

Thanks in advance.

Apparently I can use firefox and it will work, but I've got to give it about a minute or two to resolve the IP address from the domain name, then the one site it resolved will work fine, but I've got to wait a certian ammount of time for each site.

Last edited by slackwarefan; 11-29-2005 at 08:34 PM.
Old 11-29-2005, 08:35 PM   #2
Senior Member
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 2,721

Rep: Reputation: 52
what is the output of : dig ?
this will also give the dns lookup time.

Old 11-29-2005, 10:16 PM   #3
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: Florida
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 273

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Oh, sorry, some friends of mine on IRC helped me with this.

Apparently the way my /etc/resolv.conf was set up it was only geting one DNS host from my ISP through the router, and that one was laggy laggy laggy, so I changed my resolv.conf to point to 2.4.4.something which fixed it right up.

Thanks for your quick response egag.


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
HTTP Strangeness riluve Red Hat 2 01-16-2005 09:34 AM
Mplayer strangeness... infidel Linux - Software 5 05-09-2004 09:18 PM
rp-pppoe-3.5 strangeness causticmtl Slackware 1 05-29-2003 01:25 AM
Booting strangeness cipher_arg Linux - General 4 12-17-2002 01:00 PM
Samba strangeness jharris Linux - Networking 3 10-09-2001 03:38 AM > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Main Menu
Write for LQ is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration