LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2018, 05:16 AM   #16
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,734

Rep: Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
Okay so the account I made on the docs.slackware.com wiki got deleted, have a good day.
So far, you have created THREE accounts on the Wiki. I enabled the first:

Code:
A new user has registered. Here are the details:

User name : laxware
Full name : ******
E-mail : *******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/22 21:42 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
I deleted the second (it had a slightly different email address, lots of digits in there):
Code:
User name : slaxwareuser
Full name : ******
E-mail : ******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/22 21:44 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
And then you created a third:
Code:
User name : slaxwareuser
Full name : ******
E-mail : ******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/23 01:15 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
This third account is still there, but I have not enabled it (you already have one) and because first I want to learn from this thread what you are trying to accomplish here. The Wiki is a serious documentation project and not a blog. I don't accept articles from someone who thinks spending a few hours in Slackware is sufficient to be able to tell other people how things should be done.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 05:23 AM   #17
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,734

Rep: Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
Now from my understanding, the README_CRYPT is not supposed to be a comprehensive howto, it's just supposed to be a decent piece/chunk of some good info/insight and requires background knowledge. That is why I wanted to turn that into a step by step slackware doc howto and also because I want to add a section that goes step by step how to set up early-shh/dropbear so that the drive can be decrypted on boot without a keyboard.
Because it is a TXT document and not a MS Word file or PDF, you think that this README would or should not cover all expects of encrypting your computer? You're wrong there. I wrote that README_CRYPT, long ago, as the source of information for setting up your encrypted Slackware, along with the README-LVM. There should not be a need for more documentation since the user may have nothing at hand except the Slackware DVD he just received from the Slackware Store.

If you think you require background knowledge that is not in the README, and it is not basic Linux or Slackware knowledge you have not yet mastered... show us what's missing and it can be added to the README. That's still the primary place for accurate information.

If you have suggestions to fix the README text, show us textual diffs and don't end up in vague descriptions please. A write-up on early-ssh is not in the scope of that README and would be good material for a Wiki article.

Last edited by Alien Bob; 06-23-2018 at 06:54 AM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2018, 08:59 AM   #18
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,635

Rep: Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
The simple point is I want to give back, thought a guide/doc would be good. I know for sure I would never have gotten into linux if there weren't forums/ask this ask that websites or tutorials that simply let you copy/paste how to set something up. Initially I had no clue what I was doing but overtime I started to understand better, if that tutorial wasn't there in the first place I would never walked through the doorway though. I am sure when someone is looking for a good server OS Slackware gets mentioned, and if theyre looking to do disk encryption I know I can make a really simple guide, simpler than the ones I see for Debian and hopefully that gets some more people trying out the OS.
Your writing is not up to scratch for Slackware docs.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:26 PM   #19
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by mralk3 View Post
I was a Debian user for some 10 years and switched to Slackware by simply reading the documentation and man pages. You should only really need to read the getting started page on the Slackware documentation project to get up and running. The disk encryption doc by Mr. Pat V. I used with Slackware 14.1 has largely gone unchanged (if at all) for 14.2 and I distinctly remember making it a one and done installation of 14.1 without much reading or difficulty at all.

I take offense to the whole speech about young people not wanting to learn or read because I like to think of myself as the exception to the stereotype of the typical millenial. laxware, you make millenials look bad and have no business working in information technology if you plan to keep that outlook.
Not sure why you are judging my character from posts I am making about an OS question. The truth is difficult to come to terms, still isn't going to stop from enjoying working with linux/operating systems. Millenials make other millenials look bad.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #20
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebuck View Post
Hi,
As PV posted in #5 give us some examples. I'm sure PV would accept any useful information.
I have posted some examples earlier and am now playing around with using UUIDs in /etc/crypttab instead of /dev/sda (idk if it will work seems like it does on Ubuntu in the least) to solve the issue that encrypting swap partition has in that it formats itself every boot and shutdown (as it says on the readme). Using the UUIDs would be useful so the wrong partition wont get formatted if someone has a hotswap machine set up and removes a drive or something.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:36 PM   #21
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
I'll give @laxware credit for wanting to make other people's lives easier by documenting what he found.

He may decide that it's too big of a PITA for him to do so, but he at least tried.
If I dedicate every free amount of time I have no doubt, but I did not want to spend a lot of time figuring out how to navigate the UI of the docs wiki simply because of time constraints. If I google search "Arch wiki contributing" I get this first link https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...i:Contributing and off the bat I am informed of the etiquette, just like slackdocs. However, if I keep scrolling I am actually told how to start a new page under "Creating". That info is not existent on the slackdocs contributing page, moreso that it gives info about editing existing docs and not making your own, so I went on here to ask for some additional info and I get treated with a "Really. Can't you just read the front page of the Wiki first? This thread is a waste." because I did not spend 2-3 hours looking over the entire page. I respond and the blame is still on me, I am from the "outside" so to speak coming into your "bubble" so I know how it goes. We can all just try and be a bit realistic though.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:46 PM   #22
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
So far, you have created THREE accounts on the Wiki. I enabled the first:

Code:
A new user has registered. Here are the details:

User name : laxware
Full name : ******
E-mail : *******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/22 21:42 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
I deleted the second (it had a slightly different email address, lots of digits in there):
Code:
User name : slaxwareuser
Full name : ******
E-mail : ******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/22 21:44 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
And then you created a third:
Code:
User name : slaxwareuser
Full name : ******
E-mail : ******@yahoo.com

Date : 2018/06/23 01:15 (UTC)
Browser : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64; rv:60.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/60.0
This third account is still there, but I have not enabled it (you already have one) and because first I want to learn from this thread what you are trying to accomplish here. The Wiki is a serious documentation project and not a blog. I don't accept articles from someone who thinks spending a few hours in Slackware is sufficient to be able to tell other people how things should be done.
I don't know what happened with the first account, I think I used an email I no longer had access to so I made a new one with a similar looking email I have, and then I could not log in in there anymore so I made another, I believe.

I have been using Slackware since 2014 (or earlier?)....this is a new LQ account I made, my old one had a bunch of posts asking how to set up web/mail/vsftpd servers under CentOS and when I switched to Slackware I did not even need any assistance except for a few things because the CentOS config files are very close to vanilla like Slackware (unlike Debian/Ubuntu). I forgot the password to that account though so I made a new one. This is also my first time ever setting up disk encryption and I was using the README_CRYPT file but I ran into a lot of errors where the solutions were fragmented on LQ and not in one central place.

That is basically what I want to do with the slackware doc I wish to make, as well as add a portion for being able to decrypt the drive on a headless machine. I have already successfully done it on my machine so it works. Another user helped me/did all of the work for that but it still fragmented in yet another LQ thread.

Last edited by laxware; 06-23-2018 at 12:50 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:52 PM   #23
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Your writing is not up to scratch for Slackware docs.
You can't base my writing skills off of a thread post, I write these quickly and then sometime make some edits to them. Why are you guys so rude here? This has turned into a whole thing just because I had a question because I could not figure out how to navigate the UI of the docs wiki. I guess now one of you will quote that portion and say if I can't figure it out myself I shouldn't be writing it. Come on.

Last edited by laxware; 06-23-2018 at 12:54 PM.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 12:59 PM   #24
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,734

Rep: Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
I don't know what happened with the first account, I think I used an email I no longer had access to so I made a new one with a similar looking email I have, and then I could not log in in there anymore so I made another, I believe.

I have been using Slackware since 2014 (or earlier?)....this is a new LQ account I made, my old one had a bunch of posts asking how to set up web/mail/vsftpd servers under CentOS and when I switched to Slackware I did not even need any assistance except for a few things because the CentOS config files are very close to vanilla like Slackware (unlike Debian/Ubuntu). I forgot the password to that account though so I made a new one. This is also my first time ever setting up disk encryption and I was using the README_CRYPT file but I ran into a lot of errors where the solutions were fragmented on LQ and not in one central place.

That is basically what I want to do with the slackware doc I wish to make, as well as add a portion for being able to decrypt the drive on a headless machine. I have already successfully done it on my machine so it works. Another user helped me/did all of the work for that but it still fragmented in yet another LQ thread.
I've reset the password for your first account and changed the email address it uses to the one you entered for the second and third account. You should soon have an email with the password.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 01:12 PM   #25
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Bob View Post
I've reset the password for your first account and changed the email address it uses to the one you entered for the second and third account. You should soon have an email with the password.
Okay thank you, do you think for the time being I should post the doc to https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...ss-stories-23/ (as a member mentioned) see how the feedback goes and then think about writing it on a doc at a later time?
 
Old 06-23-2018, 01:15 PM   #26
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor
 
Registered: Sep 2005
Location: Eindhoven, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 7,734

Rep: Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297Reputation: 6297
I think you should post a diff to the original Slackware README and the README you modified according to your adventures. That is what I would consider the most relevant information.
Then you can post a personal story on LQ if you want, and polish that so that its quality is worthy of the Wiki.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 01:25 PM   #27
onebuck
Moderator
 
Registered: Jan 2005
Location: Summer Midwest USA, Central Illinois, Winter Central Florida
Distribution: Slackware®
Posts: 13,449
Blog Entries: 32

Rep: Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632Reputation: 2632
Member response

Hi,

Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
You can't base my writing skills off of a thread post, I write these quickly and then sometime make some edits to them. Why are you guys so rude here? This has turned into a whole thing just because I had a question because I could not figure out how to navigate the UI of the docs wiki. I guess now one of you will quote that portion and say if I can't figure it out myself I shouldn't be writing it. Come on.
I see no rudeness but direct statements. No personal attacks either. You seem to have thin skin. You might need to thicken up a bit. If you do write something related to the topic. Expect feedback! No hand holding, just direct comments. As to your navigation skills then you should learn to use doc page search.

Maybe you should look at https://www.linuxquestions.org/quest...#faq_lqwelcome so you can compose a proper post/query.

You were rude to me when you quote my post to you but strike through your reply. That type of habit/etiquette will not make you many friends here.

Your reading or viewing doc page is on you. If you had read the page you would/should have found the proper methods. https://docs.slackware.com/start is an easy format and layout. You could have done a search on that page to get to something you may have over looked. You do know how to search? Search is just under the navigation set on the left bar.
Quote:
Anger is a momentary madness, so control your passions or it will control you.” -Horace
Hope this helps.
Have fun & enjoy!
 
Old 06-23-2018, 01:47 PM   #28
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 462
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 286Reputation: 286Reputation: 286
I just wanted to give some words of encouragement. Do not be discouraged. Your attempt / desire to contribute is a good one. Consider the feed back, and slight friction you are experiencing, encouraging.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-23-2018, 03:17 PM   #29
Gerard Lally
Senior Member
 
Registered: Sep 2009
Location: Brú na Bóinne, IE
Distribution: Slackware, NetBSD
Posts: 1,635

Rep: Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121Reputation: 1121
Quote:
Originally Posted by laxware View Post
You can't base my writing skills off of a thread post, I write these quickly and then sometime make some edits to them. Why are you guys so rude here? This has turned into a whole thing just because I had a question because I could not figure out how to navigate the UI of the docs wiki. I guess now one of you will quote that portion and say if I can't figure it out myself I shouldn't be writing it. Come on.
Technical writing should be tightly focused. Your writing is rambling. I'm not being rude by telling you that. Before you were born I had been an English tutor at a west of Ireland university for years. Students expected me to critique their writing, not to give them a shoulder to cry on. Besides, you were exceptionally rude in your OP, by insulting those far older and more experienced than you. I really dislike that attitude among your age group.
 
Old 06-23-2018, 04:13 PM   #30
laxware
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2018
Posts: 45

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard Lally View Post
Technical writing should be tightly focused. Your writing is rambling. I'm not being rude by telling you that. Before you were born I had been an English tutor at a west of Ireland university for years. Students expected me to critique their writing, not to give them a shoulder to cry on. Besides, you were exceptionally rude in your OP, by insulting those far older and more experienced than you. I really dislike that attitude among your age group.
When I write on here it is rambling but if I write a doc I will for sure change the writing style. Its the equivalent of having a casual conversation vs writing a company email. Thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contributing to docs.slackware.com navigium Slackware 4 06-19-2016 08:54 AM
docs.slackware.com is down :( Nh3xus Slackware 15 07-14-2015 11:45 AM
LXer: How to contribute to the MySQL Docs LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-20-2006 07:21 PM
Need slackware configuration docs Kocil Slackware 10 06-18-2003 12:47 PM
Slackware Docs/help pages mythology Slackware 2 12-13-2002 08:50 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration