LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 12-01-2017, 05:50 AM   #16
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30

Thanks guys, but I'm not really looking for workarounds, I'd like to solve the original problem I mean, I don't really care about watching videos, this is my computer at work, and I discovered this problem only because some videos I created would not be played on my work team's Slack (I mean, slack.com) page. I worked around that problem by creating videos in WebM format rather than H264, but now I'm curious about what the cause is, plus it's become kind of a personal thing between me and Firefox
 
Old 12-01-2017, 06:02 AM   #17
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
edit: double post

Last edited by simopal6; 12-01-2017 at 06:03 AM. Reason: double post
 
Old 12-01-2017, 06:27 AM   #18
d_K
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2016
Posts: 32

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by simopal6 View Post
Thanks guys, but I'm not really looking for workarounds, I'd like to solve the original problem I mean, I don't really care about watching videos, this is my computer at work, and I discovered this problem only because some videos I created would not be played on my work team's Slack (I mean, slack.com) page. I worked around that problem by creating videos in WebM format rather than H264, but now I'm curious about what the cause is, plus it's become kind of a personal thing between me and Firefox
Looks like the webm and related MSE issues have been sorted in FF 58: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1362440...looks like ESR will need to be cherry-picked as well. Curious why they didn't include "known issues" for 57 release.

Compile beta and see what you think.
 
Old 12-01-2017, 07:00 AM   #19
SavoTU
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2005
Distribution: Slackware64 Current
Posts: 175

Rep: Reputation: 27
I had the same issue not sure which but reinstalling Firefox and upgrading ffmepeg from aliens repo fixed it for me.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-02-2017, 04:33 AM   #20
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
On another machine, with Slackware 14.1 and Firefox 45, where H264 works, indeed strace shows Firefox looking for the libavcodec library. I'm attaching the `strace firefox | grep lib` output here.

So, for some reason, Firefox does not seem to look for the library at all. I doubt that the official Firefox release is not compiled with ffmpeg/libav support, so my guess is that there must be something which just doesn't trigger the loading of the library...
Attached Files
File Type: log strace_firefox_lib_ok.log (75.6 KB, 26 views)
 
Old 05-15-2018, 05:56 AM   #21
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I found a solution (thanks to SavoTU's comment) by installing ffmpeg from alienbob's repository.
 
Old 05-15-2018, 06:49 AM   #22
Darth Vader
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2008
Location: Romania
Distribution: DARKSTAR Linux 2008.1
Posts: 2,680

Rep: Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177Reputation: 1177
Quote:
Originally Posted by simopal6 View Post
Sorry to resurrect this topic, but I found a solution (thanks to SavoTU's comment) by installing ffmpeg from alienbob's repository.
Amazing, right? Who thought about that?
 
Old 05-16-2018, 02:38 AM   #23
simopal6
Member
 
Registered: Jun 2006
Location: Italy
Distribution: Slackware 13.1
Posts: 230

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 30
Was that sarcastic? :P

Anyway, just to make it clear to other people having this issue, I already had ffmpeg installed on the system (compiled from source), and I had tried copying the shared libraries to any reasonable location for Firefox to find it (also by renaming it to the expected names: https://hg.mozilla.org/releases/mozi...timeLinker.cpp), but it didn't work. I didn't try using alienbob's package because I needed some specific settings in ffmpeg (hence the compilation). Now I just installed Firefox on a new system, where I was having the same error, and the first thing I did was try the precompiled package, and it worked.
 
Old 05-19-2018, 02:27 AM   #24
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 910

Rep: Reputation: 200Reputation: 200Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by simopal6 View Post
Now I just installed Firefox on a new system, where I was having the same error, and the first thing I did was try the precompiled package, and it worked.
Oddly enough I have the same exasperating issue on -current: no H.264 playback in Firefox. Only non-standard system issue is that I compile the git FFmpeg rather than use either alienBob's package or the package shipped with Slackware -current.

I recompiled Firefox in the hope that it would pick up the more modern FFmpeg libraries but no success. So I am using Chromium now but this issue still burns a little...
 
Old 05-24-2018, 02:03 PM   #25
TLE
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2004
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware 13.37, 14.2 and current
Posts: 47

Rep: Reputation: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew.46 View Post
Oddly enough I have the same exasperating issue on -current: no H.264 playback in Firefox. Only non-standard system issue is that I compile the git FFmpeg rather than use either alienBob's package or the package shipped with Slackware -current.

I recompiled Firefox in the hope that it would pick up the more modern FFmpeg libraries but no success. So I am using Chromium now but this issue still burns a little...
Compile ffmpeg with h.264, ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild X264=yes
I usually include more, like: ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild X264=yes X265=yes LAME=yes
check README for more options

Then install/upgrade ffmpeg, then restart Firefox
check that all are checked at: https://www.youtube.com/html5?gl=SE&hl=sv
 
Old 05-24-2018, 05:34 PM   #26
andrew.46
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2007
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 910

Rep: Reputation: 200Reputation: 200Reputation: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE View Post
Compile ffmpeg with h.264, ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild X264=yes
I usually include more, like: ./ffmpeg.SlackBuild X264=yes X265=yes LAME=yes
check README for more options
Thanks for your answer. To tell the truth I use my very own FFmpeg SlackBuild rather than either the stock Slackware -current one or the one kindly provided by AlienBob. I am an independent man by nature . And certainly I use the options:

Code:
  
  --enable-libx264 \
  --enable-libmp3lame
along with all of the options I specify but still not joy with h.264 playback. I also tested the following 2 packages:
  1. ffmpeg-3.4.2-x86_64-2.txz from Slackware -current
  2. ffmpeg-3.4.2-x86_64-2alien.txz from AlienBob

As many people have noted in this thread: both packages fix h.264 playback on Firefox but left me a little unsatisfied as I am still keen on keeping to the bleeding edge with FFmpeg.

Finally I came upon the answer: Firefox does not support the newer FFmpeg 4.0 (libavcodec/libavformat v58), which of course is seen in my installed git version of FFmpeg as well. Hence no playback on my system. The relevant bug report is here.... And probably more importantly for my own usage the submitted patch that adds support is here....

I recompiled the Slackware -current mozilla-firefox package adding in this patch and now the latest FFmpeg and Firefox are nicely working together . I have also placed the patch here...

Last edited by andrew.46; 05-27-2018 at 05:47 AM.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
VLC says missing codec h264 on CentOS/Rhel 7 standards Linux - Software 5 05-12-2015 05:49 AM
[SOLVED] H264 decoding not working on Slackware 14.1 full install core solo 1.86GHz McCrow Slackware 6 05-03-2015 12:09 PM
[SOLVED] VLC (and Dragon Player) can no longer use H264 codec jdkaye Debian 1 07-12-2013 01:18 AM
[SOLVED] totem complains its missing an H264 codec mike11 Linux - Newbie 3 03-29-2011 08:36 PM
firefox and codec questions Unregistered Slackware 17 09-23-2007 03:56 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration