LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-14-2019, 07:57 AM   #1
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 363

Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
gcc update in current and multilib?


So with the update to gcc, should one hold off on updating everything recompiled with gcc 9.2 until the multilib package for gcc updates?
 
Old 08-14-2019, 03:42 PM   #2
kgha
Member
 
Registered: May 2018
Location: Sweden
Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE
Posts: 156

Rep: Reputation: 106Reputation: 106
Pure guesswork from my side but to me it seems sensible, if only to be on the safe side - e.g. not upgrading kernel with the latest packages (4.19.66-2).

Eric usually manages to build new gcc and glibc multilib packages in a day or two. But it's holiday season, so maybe we should accept that it takes a little longer.

In theory you can build multilib gcc packages on your own with Eric's buildscript and instructions, but it looks a little too complicated to my taste ( http://www.slackware.com/~alien/multilib/source/ )
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #3
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Yeah, I'm not worried about an update. It'll show up eventually. I find the older I get, the lazier I am about updates that aren't strictly security-related. That includes compiling gcc. Did that once. I'm happy to let others do it.
 
Old 08-20-2019, 11:41 AM   #4
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 9,035

Rep: Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902Reputation: 3902
I will switch distros if I have to wait more than another week.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 01:44 PM   #5
cwizardone
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib" & Xfce.
Posts: 4,821
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217Reputation: 2217
Well, as previously mentioned, it is August and much of Europe is on vacation, and if anyone deserves a holiday it is AlienBob.

Last edited by cwizardone; 08-20-2019 at 01:50 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:25 PM   #6
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 441
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 249Reputation: 249Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by dugan View Post
I will switch distros if I have to wait more than another week.
I'm trying to figure out the value of letting us all know that.

Also, is there some pressing need for the latest GCC?

Last edited by khronosschoty; 08-20-2019 at 02:26 PM.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:32 PM   #7
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by khronosschoty View Post
I'm trying to figure out the value of letting us all know that.

Also, is there some pressing need for the latest GCC?
Doing a kernel upgrade is likely going to be a problem, if you need to compile a module, since the module has to be compiled with the same version of gcc that compiled the kernel. So if you need the Nvidia drivers, you're kind of screwed until gcc (multilib) updates. So it's either recompile the kernel with the old gcc or upgrade gcc yourself. Or wait for Alien Bob to get back from vacation.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 02:39 PM   #8
khronosschoty
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2008
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 441
Blog Entries: 2

Rep: Reputation: 249Reputation: 249Reputation: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
Doing a kernel upgrade is likely going to be a problem, if you need to compile a module, since the module has to be compiled with the same version of gcc that compiled the kernel. So if you need the Nvidia drivers, you're kind of screwed until gcc (multilib) updates. So it's either recompile the kernel with the old gcc or upgrade gcc yourself. Or wait for Alien Bob to get back from vacation.
Fair enough. Thanks.

Edit: That sort of goes with the territory when it comes to current, tho.

Last edited by khronosschoty; 08-20-2019 at 02:41 PM.
 
Old 08-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Petri Kaukasoina
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2007
Posts: 413

Rep: Reputation: 265Reputation: 265Reputation: 265
You can install the normal 64-bit gcc unless you need to build 32-bit binaries. If you want to build 32-bit binaries, you can do it in a 32-bit chroot or VM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-20-2019, 11:48 PM   #10
garpu
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2009
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 363

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 172Reputation: 172
Quoting from ehartman in the requests for current thread:

Quote:
To compile kernel modules you only need the 64-bit gcc (9.2) package as those modules have to load into your (64-bit) kernel.
If you were running a 32-bit kernel you automatically wouldn't have multi-lib so again the gcc package is correct for that kernel.
So there's no compatibily issue.
So it's not the problem I thought it was. (I'm still waiting, since I don't need to build a new package of WINE for awhile. I guess the Nvidia drivers only installs compatibility libraries and compiles a 64-bit module?)
 
Old Yesterday, 01:44 AM   #11
ehartman
Member
 
Registered: Jul 2007
Location: Delft, The Netherlands
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 830

Rep: Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406Reputation: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by garpu View Post
I guess the Nvidia drivers only installs compatibility libraries and compiles a 64-bit module?)
Both a kernel module (nvidia.ko) as well as an X driver (nvidia_drv.so) are compiled, the compatibility libraries (mostly GL) are only installed as they're pre-compiled in the package.

PS: I wouldn't know if in a multi-lib environment you would need the 32-bits NVidia libraries too, they would have to come from the 32-bit binary blop.

But anyway you never need to compile anything with 32-bit gcc (and glibc).

Last edited by ehartman; Yesterday at 01:47 AM. Reason: Addition about 32-bit compatibility libraries
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
[SOLVED] Possible conflict gcc multilib and slackpkg gcc update Gugur Slackware 7 11-11-2017 09:27 AM
Upgrading Multilib GCC/GLIBC breaks GCC. DruidPeter Slackware 5 06-27-2016 06:00 PM
[SOLVED] GCC-4.5.2 - Pass 2 / unsetting the multilib spec for GCC golarbol Linux From Scratch 2 07-11-2011 07:30 AM
upgrading slackware64 13.1 multilib to slackware64 -current multilib Cultist Slackware 4 03-12-2011 09:04 AM
Blacklisting gcc/glibc with slackpkg in multilib-current damgar Slackware 1 01-04-2010 11:15 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration