LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 PM   #16
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo
Posts: 6,940

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129

Before someone else comes along, I'll just mention that I don't understand "run dcopserver" at all.

For Slackware, if you're using the default method of starting in runlevel 3, you'll come to a "login:" prompt where you login to the system. This is where you need to login as a normal user. (And yes, even without being on a LAN or WAN, you should use the normal user account, except for needed system administration work. This keeps you from hosing your install, or messing up critical system files.)

After that, you can issue "xwmconfig" and choose your window manager. After you select one and enter OK and it takes you back to a user prompt, you will enter "startx" to start the X server.

With the system you have, I highly recommend you read Darrell Anderson's information I referred you to in my last post ... before going any further. Just give yourself a day or so to get familiar with what is in the Slackware Handbook earlier referenced, and the Slackware Desktop Enhancement Guide, then start configuring it.

I imagine you're anxious to "do something." However, if you do too much now, you'll more than likely hose your system (especially logged in as root) and decide that reinstalling becomes your only option to fix it.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt!
 
Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
Jbernoski
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Fair enough.

I'm getting different errors as a normal user.
Code:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
bind: Input/output error
which: no dbus-launc in (/usr/local/sbbin:/usr/sinb:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/games:opt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/textmf/bin)
xfce4-session: Unable to access file /home/worm.ICEauthority Input/output error
SSH_AGENT_PID not set, cannot kill agnet

waiting for X server to shut down

xauth: error in locking authority file /home/worm/.Xauthority
Been messing around with xauth, and iceauth with root(i'm supposed to use root for that, right?). I just really don't know exactly what I should do.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 12:31 AM   #18
rkrishna
Member
 
Registered: Mar 2005
Location: chennai(madras), India
Distribution: slackware ofcourse
Posts: 654

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
It's got 32mb of ram a 233 pentium and a 40gb harddrive.
do x run on this?
 
Old 02-22-2006, 02:12 AM   #19
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo
Posts: 6,940

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbernoski
Been messing around with xauth, and iceauth with root(i'm supposed to use root for that, right?). I just really don't know exactly what I should do.
Never found a reason to mess with them here. I'd say don't.

As for this error:
Code:
Could not init font path element /usr/X11R6/lib/x11/fonts/CID/, removing from list!
That can be ignored. It's in every /var/log/Xorg.0.log I've ever had.

Where are you getting those other messages?
 
Old 02-22-2006, 04:04 AM   #20
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,647

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbernoski
which: no dbus-launc in (/usr/local/sbbin:/usr/sinb:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/gamespt/www/htdig/bin:/usr/lib/java/bin:usr/lib/java/jre/bin:/opt/kde/bin:/usr/lib/qt/bin:/usr/share/textmf/bin)
xfce4-session: Unable to access file /home/worm.ICEauthority

[...]

xauth: error in locking authority file /home/worm/.Xauthority[/code]

Been messing around with xauth, and iceauth with root(i'm supposed to use root for that, right?). I just really don't know exactly what I should do.
I think the first is a typo? It should be called "dbus-launch" with the trailing "h" and I have found it in /usr/bin. It came with my installation of Freerock Gnome but is not included in the stock Slackware packages (and should therefore not be essential I guess).

I'm wondering why you have to deal with xauth iceauth and that stuff. I never had to treat the X server as root despite the initial configuration with xorgconfig (and editing the file to get my scroll mouse working). So did you create those files as root or changed unintentionally the permissions of user worm's home folder?

Try to start a simpler window manager, not a desktop environment to check if your X server is configured right. Type "xwmconfig" as user and choose blackbox, fluxbox or something like that from the list but not KDE, Xfce or Gnome. You can change that again the same way easily but can hopefully be sure that the basic X server is running nice.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 04:23 AM   #21
dive
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2003
Location: UK
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 3,467

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Did you run xorgsetup or xorgconfig before trying to startx? You may want to read this page: http://slackware.com/config/x.php
 
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 AM   #22
Jbernoski
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by titopoquito
I'm wondering why you have to deal with xauth iceauth and that stuff. I never had to treat the X server as root despite the initial configuration with xorgconfig (and editing the file to get my scroll mouse working). So did you create those files as root or changed unintentionally the permissions of user worm's home folder?

Try to start a simpler window manager, not a desktop environment to check if your X server is configured right. Type "xwmconfig" as user and choose blackbox, fluxbox or something like that from the list but not KDE, Xfce or Gnome. You can change that again the same way easily but can hopefully be sure that the basic X server is running nice.
Possibly!
for fluxbox I get
mkdir: cannot create directory /home/worm/.fluxbox input/output error

Then it complains that no /.fluxbox exists

I attempted adding the user to 'disk'. But I'm really confused otherwise.

One more question. Why does it call my OS read-only on occassion?

Anyway, well trying to put a password on my root, I locked myself out of it. EDIT: I can fix this part.

Last edited by Jbernoski; 02-22-2006 at 12:26 PM.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 03:44 PM   #23
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo
Posts: 6,940

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Just as I suspected, and mentioned in earlier posts. You've gotten way off the beaten path, and messed up your installation. I'll not offer any new advice at this point, since you weren't willing to follow earlier advice. But you might find yourself reading Post #16.

Links for you...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.slackbasics.org/html/slackware-basics.html
http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/sdeg/
http://slackbook.org/html/
 
Old 02-22-2006, 05:50 PM   #24
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,647

Rep: Reputation: 148Reputation: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbernoski
Possibly!
for fluxbox I get
mkdir: cannot create directory /home/worm/.fluxbox input/output error
What output do you get from "ls -l /home/worm/" or even "ls -l /home/"? The files and folders should be owned by user "worm" and group "users".
If you screwed it up maybe you can fix it as root with "chown -R worm:users /home/worm/" so that the /home/worm folder and all files and folders below will get the right permissions ...

I think Chinaman is right, you screwed something up. May be that the changes are not soooooo great, but prepare to do a new install and take it as a learning experience.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 08:08 PM   #25
Shade
Senior Member
 
Registered: Mar 2003
Location: Burke, VA
Distribution: RHEL, Slackware, Ubuntu, Fedora
Posts: 1,418
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 46
Chinaman, although I agree with your initial assessment of his attitude, I'll say that it looks like he's definitely improved his approach since the first few posts. I think your last couple of posts were a bit harsh. (You and I have spoken before (irc and here), although not in a while, and I hope you'll see this as just my observation and not a personal dig).

Jbernoski, keep at it. This is what I imagine has happened:

You got slackware installed. The boot loader was installed improperly to the
root instead of to the MBR. You fixed that. Good on you. Now, there is either
a software or hardware problem prompting the 'input/output' error. The likely
hardware problem is a failing hard drive. Linux is typically much more tolerant
than most other OSes, so it's conceivable that you got it installed and partially
functional even with that.

The possible software problem could be one of two things:
1) While fixing the Lilo/mbr issue, you neglected to add an option which prompts
linux to remount the root filesystem / as read-write. When linux first boots, it
is mounted read-only by default, in the event that the machine was taken down by a power outtage, to prevent further corruption and allow an 'fsck' to run and fix it. If you do 'cat /proc/cmdline' you should see something similar to this:

BOOT_IMAGE=slack-2.6.15.4 ro root=302

If that 'ro' bit is missing, this is the problem.

The second possible software issue is that you ran 'useradd' isntead of 'adduser'. The 'useradd' command expects you to set up the user's details (home directory, permissions etc) manually. 'adduser' does this automatically. Checking the permissions as suggested above should fix this.

Since, however, you're getting the 'input/output' error as root, as well, I suspect it is either the failing hard drive scenario, or the 'ro' lilo configuration scenario.

For further help, please post up the output of 'cat /proc/cmdline' and 'mount'.

-- Shade
 
Old 02-22-2006, 08:36 PM   #26
Jbernoski
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman
Just as I suspected, and mentioned in earlier posts. You've gotten way off the beaten path, and messed up your installation. I'll not offer any new advice at this point, since you weren't willing to follow earlier advice. But you might find yourself reading Post #16.

Links for you...

http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
http://www.slackbasics.org/html/slackware-basics.html
http://humanreadable.nfshost.com/sdeg/
http://slackbook.org/html/
I just usermod -p'ed when I should have well whatever that other damn password command was. I searched a little on how to fix it and am starting with a fresh install. My HDA's are numbered wrong. I'm sure there's a way to fix it. But if it works, I'll live with it.

I appreciate the links. Erstwhile, someone hit the nail on the head.

On a personal note, do you really think linking to a FAQ on how to ask good questions is anything but trolling? Do you post these replies to people who you believe "don't know their place"? Has this condscending crap helped any of the people you linked it to? I'm not trying to insult you, I just really question your methods.

I'm getting perfectly good help from other members of this forum none of which have taken offense at my post. I just don't understand why you keep posting this non-help stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shade
You got slackware installed. The boot loader was installed improperly to the
root instead of to the MBR. You fixed that. Good on you. Now, there is either
a software or hardware problem prompting the 'input/output' error. The likely
hardware problem is a failing hard drive. Linux is typically much more tolerant
than most other OSes, so it's conceivable that you got it installed and partially
functional even with that.
No. It went from box to laptop. If it was a failure wouldn't uh I don't know. Wouldn't filling the entire part of the harddrive where I'm having errors have prompted an error in itself? I've really thought about this, and I just don't believe it's the harddrive.

Quote:
The possible software problem could be one of two things:
1) While fixing the Lilo/mbr issue, you neglected to add an option which prompts
linux to remount the root filesystem / as read-write. When linux first boots, it
is mounted read-only by default, in the event that the machine was taken down by a power outtage, to prevent further corruption and allow an 'fsck' to run and fix it. If you do 'cat /proc/cmdline' you should see something similar to this:

BOOT_IMAGE=slack-2.6.15.4 ro root=302

If that 'ro' bit is missing, this is the problem.
This is probably it. Thanks.

Last edited by Jbernoski; 02-22-2006 at 08:40 PM.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 09:41 PM   #27
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo
Posts: 6,940

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbernoski
On a personal note, do you really think linking to a FAQ on how to ask good questions is anything but trolling?
Thanks.
On the contrary. That article has been very useful to me. It will not only teach you how to present your problem in a mature, thought-provoking way; it will also teach you how to get help from people who actually know about the software or hardware you're dealing with.

I chose to look at your thread because the title was "Finished full slackware install and nothing." After a few years of full Slackware installs, I wondered how anyone could do so and come up with nothing?

Upon reading your posts, I felt you would benefit from reading "How To Ask Questions The Smart Way" as much as I have.
 
Old 02-22-2006, 09:58 PM   #28
Jbernoski
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman
On the contrary. That article has been very useful to me. It will not only teach you how to present your problem in a mature, thought-provoking way; it will also teach you how to get help from people who actually know about the software or hardware you're dealing with.

I chose to look at your thread because the title was "Finished full slackware install and nothing." After a few years of full Slackware installs, I wondered how anyone could do so and come up with nothing?
Haha, I provoked a thought!

Anyway, fresh install and now it runs great. And we can print out this post and hang it on our fridges, and all give ourselves gold stars, because WE DESERVE IT!

One question. Will giving a 32mb system a load of swap space create a noticiable improvment in KDE?
 
Old 02-22-2006, 11:40 PM   #29
Bruce Hill
HCL Maintainer
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: McCalla, AL, USA
Distribution: Arch, Gentoo
Posts: 6,940

Rep: Reputation: 129Reputation: 129
KDE won't run on a box with only 32MB RAM.
If you give swap 512MB, it will help, but
swap still isn't as fast as RAM, so it will
be very slow at best.
 
Old 02-23-2006, 06:09 AM   #30
Jbernoski
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2005
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 46

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinaman
KDE won't run on a box with only 32MB RAM.
No. It actually does run. Just a little slow.

It's like running one of those systems that are loaded up with spyware. I haven't tried Mozilla or anything like that of course. Though,it really doesn't run so bad with all the bells and whistles turned off.
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Finished Slackware installed and booted to a command prompt sledd Slackware 6 11-28-2004 05:59 PM
Finished Install... but cant boot!!! fatboy21 Slackware - Installation 8 07-14-2004 07:43 AM
i finished the install but now what? awesome_man Linux - Newbie 1 11-15-2003 02:46 AM
Un-finished Install bigalusn Linux - Newbie 4 09-25-2003 07:05 AM
Slackware 8.1 - Default [Full] Install, Mouse Issues narusegawa Slackware 10 03-17-2003 07:54 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:45 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration