LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 11-12-2005, 04:23 AM   #1
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,644

Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
fbpanel tray problem


Hi folks,

I'm trying to get fbpanel working, but no luck. Despite one minor problem with the pager my biggest problem is that it doesn't show apps in the tray area. I am using the default configuration so there should be a tray, really. I'm beginning to wonder if it possible at all.
Could someone please confirm to me if your fbpanel displays a KDE app in the tray? You could start "juk" media player and iconify it (it will be send to the tray). Or did I miss something that I have to compile in ... pypanel's tray is working just fine on the other hand.

Other info that I think is not important: Slackware 10.2, Openbox3 (was the same with the stock Fluxbox package).

Any help is appreciated,

titopoquito
 
Old 11-13-2005, 05:22 PM   #2
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,644

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Crazy, now it works. I recompiled some stuff including fbpanel. First it looked like it didn't work, but in the end after a reboot I noticed that it displays juk and gaim tray symbols now ...

The only little problem left: fbpanel doesn't display the tray icons when started after a program put itself in the tray (for example fbpanel once crashed and I started it from aterm -- the taskbar worked well, but there was no tray icon even if the program still worked). I hope fbpanel won't crash to often Or does anyone know of a program to manipulate the tray apps similar like wmctrl does with application windows, i. e. bring an app sitting in the tray to front?
 
Old 11-14-2005, 03:19 AM   #3
LiNuCe
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: France
Distribution: Slackware Linux 10.2
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
titopoquito: The only little problem left: fbpanel doesn't display the tray icons when started after a program put itself in the tray (for example fbpanel once crashed and I started it from aterm -- the taskbar worked well, but there was no tray icon even if the program still worked). I hope fbpanel won't crash to often :)
I use FBPanel 4.3 (the latest FBPanel version) with Blackbox 0.70.1 and I didn't notice the problem you describe. You can try to build a FBPanel 4.3 package for Slackware Linux with my SlackBuild to see if it works as expected. I also provide a binary package, but as it is built against GTK+ 2.8.6 which is not provided with Slackware Linux, you should better build the binary package on your system. As you can see on this screenshot of my desktop, Blackbox is running ROX and FBPanel with to tray icons, one for Liferea (an excellent RSS/RDF news aggregator based on GTK+2) and one for GAIM (my favorite instant messenger client based on GTK+2).

--
LiNuCe
 
Old 11-14-2005, 05:06 AM   #4
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,644

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally posted by LiNuCe
I use FBPanel 4.3 (the latest FBPanel version) with Blackbox 0.70.1 and I didn't notice the problem you describe. You can try to build a FBPanel 4.3 package for Slackware Linux with my SlackBuild to see if it works as expected. [SNIP]

--
LiNuCe
Thanks LiNuCe,

I will try your build file as soon as I have sorted out a kernel panic that I'm getting right now . Thank you!
 
Old 11-14-2005, 07:30 AM   #5
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,644

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
No, it looks the same even after recompiling with your buildscript, LiNuCe. If I start openbox and fbpanel up with .xinitrc and after that juk manually it looks right and is able to display the juk tray symbol. If I simulate a fbpanel crash by doing a "killall fbpanel" and manually restart fbpanel out of aterm, there are tasks in the task bar but no juk symbol in the tray. Despite the fact that juk is still running (ps aux shows it in the list and I am still hearing the juk output). I've installed gtk+2-2.8.4 (gware rev. E). Might this be a problem?
But that's a minor problem. As long as fbpanel doesn't crash it's fine now for me. Pray with me ...
 
Old 11-14-2005, 10:46 AM   #6
LiNuCe
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2004
Location: France
Distribution: Slackware Linux 10.2
Posts: 119

Rep: Reputation: 15
Quote:
titopoquito: No, it looks the same even after recompiling with your buildscript, LiNuCe. If I start openbox and fbpanel up with .xinitrc and after that juk manually it looks right and is able to display the juk tray symbol. If I simulate a fbpanel crash by doing a "killall fbpanel" and manually restart fbpanel out of aterm, there are tasks in the task bar but no juk symbol in the tray. Despite the fact that juk is still running (ps aux shows it in the list and I am still hearing the juk output). I've installed gtk+2-2.8.4 (gware rev. E). Might this be a problem?
I have just tested with two applications using the systray to display notification icons : Liferea and Gaim. I have killed and restarted FBPanel from a X terminal : GAIM's notification icon was here but Liferea's one wasn't (in fact, it is even worst as Liferea has crashed with a X Window System error). So I suppose we could probably conclude that the problem is with the application creating the notification icon, not with FBPanel.

--
LiNuCe
 
Old 11-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #7
titopoquito
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Lower Rhine region, Germany
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 and current, SlackwareARM current
Posts: 1,644

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 145Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally posted by LiNuCe
I have just tested with two applications using the systray to display notification icons : Liferea and Gaim. I have killed and restarted FBPanel from a X terminal : GAIM's notification icon was here but Liferea's one wasn't (in fact, it is even worst as Liferea has crashed with a X Window System error). So I suppose we could probably conclude that the problem is with the application creating the notification icon, not with FBPanel.

--
LiNuCe
Damn, you're right. Gaim tray icon stays here, too. I tested it with JuK only, which has the same problem as Liferea. So it isn't fbpanel's fault. Thank you for once more looking into this!
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fbpanel speedemonV12 Linux - Newbie 3 08-07-2005 09:14 AM
Things for KDE system tray in gnome system tray Boffy Linux - General 3 09-17-2004 07:56 AM
Cups says "Media tray empty!" but I have +50 sheets of paper in tray... r_jensen11 Linux - Hardware 8 09-07-2004 10:46 PM
fbpanel problems e0r Linux - Newbie 3 08-25-2004 04:14 PM
gaim tray icon / applet problem shadow.blue Linux - Software 1 06-27-2003 11:53 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration