LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
Kris Brown
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: Australia
Distribution: Plan9, Slackware, mint.
Posts: 10

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator: Input/output error


Gday guys.
I haven't been on for a while so i thought id share a solution for a small problem i encountered today.
I decided to get off my lazy backside and upgraded the remaining packages on the Slackware current distro i use with Fluxbox.
I upgraded to the newest xfce4 terminal emulator with slackpkg and once done and hit the terminal emulator icon on my task bar, i got the error message "Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator: Input/output error". I googled about and realized a lot of people had the same kind of problem but i could'nt seem to find a solution.
This is how i got it to work again.
The problem was that "vte-0" no longer worked as a dependency, so i had to go on slackbuilds and install vte-3 as i couldn't find it with slackpkg. (Its dependencies are vala and pcre2).
Solved.
If you are using slapt-get or using a distro that handles dep resolution the problem could also be that vge3-ng was installed and that it must be removed and replaced with vge3 as it wont work and both cant be installed together.
Hope this helps somebody in the future..... BYE!
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:43 AM   #2
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 7,950

Rep: Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830Reputation: 2830
vte3 and pcre2 are also needed by mate-terminal 1.18. Packages binary compatible with Slackware64-24.2 are available here.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 01-13-2018 at 08:52 AM.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 08:22 PM   #3
bassmadrigal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Newport News, VA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,745

Rep: Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634
You may also want to check and see what Slackware version you're running and what mirror you are on with slackpkg. Unless you have other packages out of date, xfce4-terminal should work without issue on both 14.2 and -current, but if you installed 14.2 and had your slackpkg mirror set to -current and upgraded to the xfce4-terminal package from -current, it is very likely it'd break.

In case you weren't aware, 14.2 and -current are two vastly different branches of Slackware. 14.2 is the latest stable and -current is the unstable development tree that will eventually become the next stable version of Slackware (in this case, 15.0). While some packages may work between the two, many will break due to differing dependencies, so having slackpkg set to the wrong version could have ill effects leading to a possibly unbootable system.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
Kris Brown
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: Australia
Distribution: Plan9, Slackware, mint.
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
sorry accidental duplicate post

Last edited by Kris Brown; 01-13-2018 at 10:19 PM. Reason: Duplicate post
 
Old 01-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #5
Kris Brown
LQ Newbie
 
Registered: Jul 2016
Location: Australia
Distribution: Plan9, Slackware, mint.
Posts: 10

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmadrigal View Post
You may also want to check and see what Slackware version you're running and what mirror you are on with slackpkg. Unless you have other packages out of date, xfce4-terminal should work without issue on both 14.2 and -current, but if you installed 14.2 and had your slackpkg mirror set to -current and upgraded to the xfce4-terminal package from -current, it is very likely it'd break.

In case you weren't aware, 14.2 and -current are two vastly different branches of Slackware. 14.2 is the latest stable and -current is the unstable development tree that will eventually become the next stable version of Slackware (in this case, 15.0). While some packages may work between the two, many will break due to differing dependencies, so having slackpkg set to the wrong version could have ill effects leading to a possibly unbootable system.
Been using slackware for years mate. Its a straight current install with fluxbox. Im using an Aussie mirror (current branch) for slack package and the only upgrade was vte-0.50.2 instead of version 3 which the terminal needs. (Ive since found these packages on a uk mirror). Thanks didier spaier for the pointer for my search.
I had to upgrade the rest of my packages, and, (because im lazy and this laptop isnt "mission critical" for anything), as a result, something broke. I know what im getting myself into and thats how i fixed my problem. It may be a kludge by nature but it worked.
I use sbopkg 90% of the time and i wouldnt of had a problem if xfce4-terminal was on slackbuilds. (well a search didnt pull anything).
Anyways its all fixed so thats my only concern.

EDIT- You'll be surprised how many people have had this problem even with distros with full dependency resolution.
 
Old 01-13-2018, 11:30 PM   #6
bassmadrigal
Senior Member
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Newport News, VA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,745

Rep: Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634Reputation: 2634
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Brown View Post
Been using slackware for years mate. Its a straight current install with fluxbox.
I wasn't sure because it wasn't listed in your post. A lot of people accidentally select -current thinking it is the latest stable packages and end up with a rude awakening when things break.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Brown View Post
Im using an Aussie mirror (current branch) for slack package and the only upgrade was vte-0.50.2 instead of version 3 which the terminal needs. (Ive since found these packages on a uk mirror). Thanks didier spaier for the pointer for my search.
I had to upgrade the rest of my packages, and, (because im lazy and this laptop isnt "mission critical" for anything), as a result, something broke. I know what im getting myself into and thats how i fixed my problem. It may be a kludge by nature but it worked.
This is the first report I remember seeing recently of xfce4-terminal being broken on -current. xfce4-terminal in -current is still built against vte-0.50.2. I imagine you just didn't do a full upgrade or missed an install-new when packages were added, because pcre2 was added to -current in September. Seeing how in your original post you just mentioned updating xfce4-terminal and nothing else, my guess is that you didn't have all the upgrades/additions needed to properly run the newer version (namely you were probably missing the pcre2 dependency to vte). Once you installed vte3 and the pcre dependency for it, it fulfilled the missing dependency for vte. You could probably remove vte3 and vala and still have xfce4-terminal run fine.

We've all forgotten an install-new at some point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Brown View Post
I use sbopkg 90% of the time and i wouldnt of had a problem if xfce4-terminal was on slackbuilds. (well a search didnt pull anything).
It's SBo policy to not have official packages on there with a few exceptions. So, unless xfce4-terminal gets removed from Slackware, you're not likely to see it on SBo.
 
Old 01-14-2018, 04:24 AM   #7
willysr
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jul 2004
Location: Jogja, Indonesia
Distribution: Slackware-Current
Posts: 3,736

Rep: Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022Reputation: 1022
Even if it does gets removed, it will have to wait until next stable repo gets released
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Failed to execute child process "sudo" (input/output error) manofst3el72 Linux - Newbie 6 07-02-2017 10:40 AM
New install Xubuntu 14.04 trying to replace default terminal with Terminator error:Failed to execute default Terminal Emulator bdalzell Ubuntu 2 06-19-2016 05:40 AM
mii-diag:default interface eth0 w/SIOCGMIIREC on eth-0 failed: Input/output error Cathy Cruz Linux - Newbie 2 04-17-2012 07:06 AM
mii-diag:default interface eth0 w/SIOCGMIIREC on eth-0 failed: Input/output error Cathy Cruz Linux - Newbie 0 04-17-2012 05:15 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration