LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 08-09-2019, 04:22 AM   #1
linuxtinker
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: NJ / USA
Distribution: Slackware 64 -Current
Posts: 219

Rep: Reputation: 97
download JDK needs Oracle Account?


I am trying to use the slackbuild for JDK and the link is requiring me to set up an Oracle account. Does anyone have another link for JDK8u221 ?




Thanks
 
Old 08-09-2019, 04:37 AM   #2
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,746
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779Reputation: 1779
Alternatively:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/

I would have thought compiling JDK would be something of a nightmare.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 04:47 AM   #3
linuxtinker
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: NJ / USA
Distribution: Slackware 64 -Current
Posts: 219

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysander666 View Post
Alternatively:

http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slackbuilds/openjdk/

I would have thought compiling JDK would be something of a nightmare.
Thanks for that link but I am looking for the source not a package. I am using slackrepo to build my own packages and its failing because I can't get the source. I have it auto-build any updates nightly and haven't had many issues.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 04:57 AM   #4
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 8,917

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtinker View Post
Thanks for that link but I am looking for the source not a package. I am using slackrepo to build my own packages and its failing because I can't get the source. I have it auto-build any updates nightly and haven't had many issues.
The link provided by Lysander666 does include how to download the source files and build from source, check http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...ild/README.txt and
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...d/BUILDING.txt.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 08-09-2019 at 04:58 AM.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 05:11 AM   #5
linuxtinker
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2013
Location: NJ / USA
Distribution: Slackware 64 -Current
Posts: 219

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Didier Spaier View Post
The link provided by Lysander666 does include how to download the source files and build from source, check http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...ild/README.txt and
http://www.slackware.com/~alien/slac...d/BUILDING.txt.



That link is for OpenJDK I was looking for JDK SE


https://slackbuilds.org/repository/1...velopment/jdk/


It use to just require accepting the agreement, which was automated by the script. But now it redirects you to a logon page now after accepting the agreement.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 05:24 AM   #6
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 8,917

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by linuxtinker View Post
But now it redirects you to a logon page now after accepting the agreement.
Then I don't know if using a source archive already downloaded would work, but in fairness you should abide by Oracle's rules or not build this software in my opinion.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:26 AM   #7
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,873

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Yes, it seems like Oracle people, beside accepting their license, now require also registration to their site.
Unfortunately we cannot do much because providing alternative download links won't follow their licensing rules.
But I agree that this is getting very irritating.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 08:10 AM   #8
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 754

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
Yes, it seems like Oracle people, beside accepting their license, now require also registration to their site.
Unfortunately we cannot do much because providing alternative download links won't follow their licensing rules.
But I agree that this is getting very irritating.
Everyone wants to collect data on us. It is really becoming annoying.
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:12 AM   #9
slalik
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 168

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
As far as I know, Oracle always requires an account to download end-of-life versions of jdk.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 12:20 PM   #10
ponce
Senior Member
 
Registered: Aug 2004
Location: Pisa, Italy
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 4,873

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
actually jdk 8 is not end of life yet: please see

https://www.oracle.com/technetwork/j...t-roadmap.html

Quote:
End of Public Updates of Java SE 8

Java SE 8 has gone through the End of Public Updates process for legacy releases. Oracle will continue to provide free public updates and auto updates of Java SE 8 from Oracle at java.com, until at least the end of December 2020 for Personal, Development and other Users. Developers can find Oracle Java SE updates, including Oracle Java SE 8, 11 and current releases, free for development on OTN.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 12:27 PM   #11
slalik
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Location: Moscow, Russia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 168

Rep: Reputation: 118Reputation: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
actually jdk 8 is not end of life yet
Yes, it's not end-of-life in the sense that it's supported, but Oracle always starts to ask for an account after some point in the retirement process. I want to say that there is nothing new in the Oracle behavior with respect to the jdk downloading.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 01:31 PM   #12
solarfields
Senior Member
 
Registered: Feb 2006
Location: Outer Shpongolia
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,006

Rep: Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579Reputation: 579
yes, it needs registration for older releases (iirc).
 
Old 08-09-2019, 01:45 PM   #13
average_user
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2010
Location: Warsaw, Poland
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 411

Rep: Reputation: 161Reputation: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Everyone wants to collect data on us. It is really becoming annoying.
They try. I have a separate gmail account I use to register at various weird places and you can also use https://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html. I've just tried it and it works with Oracle website.

Of course they can still track your IP address, web browser fingerprint and other things but at least they won't know your real e-mail address.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:49 PM   #14
dugan
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Nov 2003
Location: Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 9,029

Rep: Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898Reputation: 3898
I don't know which software linuxtinker is trying to build, but if it's Quake Injector it actually does need Oracle JDK 8. It does not work with OpenJDK. At least, not with any versions of OpenJDK that I tested.

Last edited by dugan; 08-09-2019 at 02:04 PM.
 
Old 08-09-2019, 01:51 PM   #15
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 754

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by average_user View Post
They try. I have a separate gmail account I use to register at various weird places and you can also use https://10minutemail.com/10MinuteMail/index.html. I've just tried it and it works with Oracle website.

Of course they can still track your IP address, web browser fingerprint and other things but at least they won't know your real e-mail address.
This is cool. Learn something everyday. Thanks
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
LXer: Download Oracle Java JRE / JDK in linux using wget by bypassing license LXer Syndicated Linux News 0 07-16-2013 03:42 AM
openjdk-6-jdk vs official JDK? davidstvz Debian 3 09-22-2010 02:06 PM
jdk-6u10-docs.zip jdk-6u10-docs-ja.zip CJohnsonK General 1 08-15-2010 09:38 PM
Where to get JDK 1.5.0_08 and JDK 1.6.0_10 for Linux Redhat Itanium servers java_ascii Linux - Software 1 09-22-2009 11:17 AM
32 bit JDK vs 64 bit JDK paragkalra Linux - Software 4 11-28-2007 05:36 AM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:11 PM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration