LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2010, 05:51 PM   #16
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Cranium View Post
What SATA controller do you have? I have an ASUS SATA DVD drive and do not see this problem at all. lspci shows the controller to be...
Code:
IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP78S [GeForce 8200] SATA Controller (non-AHCI mode) (rev a2)
00:08.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP61 SATA Controller (rev a2)
 
Old 06-23-2010, 03:33 AM   #17
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
I've found another piece of the puzzle. The problem isn't strictly with optical media. The problem appears to affect ALL removable media, including flash devices.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 09:58 PM   #18
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Slackware 14.2, Slackware{32,64}-current
Posts: 786
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
Well, I'll add my 2 cents. I run Slackware64 13.1 and Slackware 13.1 (IDE/PATA controllers, 2.6.33.4-generic), plus Xubuntu and Ubuntu (sata controllers, 10.04 LTS, 2.6.32-22-generic), and I have this issue on all of them. I can automount all DVDs, all commercial pressed CDs, but my burned CDR and CDRW that are known good on Slackware 13.0 don't always automount. I have a 2 year old data CDR that mounts fine, but recently burned CDR (from Slackware 13.0) are about 75% fail to automount. Whether KDE, Xfce, or Gnome is used is not important. Explicitly mounting as root or using fstab works ok. This problem started once I left 2.6.29 series of kernels so its not my disks and it is not my hardware. I also have WinXP, Vista. and Win7 systems that automount all disks just fine. Googling shows a lot of activity with some fixes/work arounds that do not fix the underlying issue

This is a weird bug that I unfortunately no longer have the skills to track down (last code was Z80 assembly on CP/M-80) and it is driving me nuts. Sure, I can do it the "old fashioned way" but why should I not have automounting automation in the 21st century?
 
Old 06-23-2010, 10:01 PM   #19
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Slackware 14.2, Slackware{32,64}-current
Posts: 786
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
tpreitzel, nope, for me every USB stick and external USB hard drive (fat32, ext3 and NTFS) automount just fine here.
 
Old 06-23-2010, 11:43 PM   #20
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 2,741

Rep: Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf999 View Post
tpreitzel, nope, for me every USB stick and external USB hard drive (fat32, ext3 and NTFS) automount just fine here.
I have seen no issues automounting USB drives on my 13.1 box.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 09:38 PM   #21
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf999 View Post
tpreitzel, nope, for me every USB stick and external USB hard drive (fat32, ext3 and NTFS) automount just fine here.
I'm willing to bet that the problem of mounting flash devices (internal USB card reader) will rear it's ugly little head in due time. It doesn't happen nearly as often as optical media *, but I've seen it with my own eyes. Simply a fluke? Possibly. I'm certainly tiring of waiting for another kernel in the 2.6.33.x series, though ... Hint, kernel developers.

* Only once so far with flash media in my experience

Last edited by tpreitzel; 06-24-2010 at 09:57 PM.
 
Old 06-24-2010, 09:48 PM   #22
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf999 View Post
Well, I'll add my 2 cents. I run Slackware64 13.1 and Slackware 13.1 (IDE/PATA controllers, 2.6.33.4-generic), plus Xubuntu and Ubuntu (sata controllers, 10.04 LTS, 2.6.32-22-generic), and I have this issue on all of them. I can automount all DVDs, all commercial pressed CDs, but my burned CDR and CDRW that are known good on Slackware 13.0 don't always automount. I have a 2 year old data CDR that mounts fine, but recently burned CDR (from Slackware 13.0) are about 75% fail to automount. Whether KDE, Xfce, or Gnome is used is not important. Explicitly mounting as root or using fstab works ok. This problem started once I left 2.6.29 series of kernels so its not my disks and it is not my hardware. I also have WinXP, Vista. and Win7 systems that automount all disks just fine. Googling shows a lot of activity with some fixes/work arounds that do not fix the underlying issue

This is a weird bug that I unfortunately no longer have the skills to track down (last code was Z80 assembly on CP/M-80) and it is driving me nuts. Sure, I can do it the "old fashioned way" but why should I not have automounting automation in the 21st century?
Interesting and unfortunate that you're experiencing the same problem with Ubuntu. It's also interesting that only your recently burned optical discs are failing with automount, but not manual mount. In my case, I have commercially mastered discs failing as well.

Your scenario isn't exactly equivalent to my experience, though. For sure, this bug (bugs?) is driving a considerable number of people over the edge.

Last edited by tpreitzel; 06-24-2010 at 09:55 PM.
 
Old 06-25-2010, 03:45 AM   #23
igadoter
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: slackware 12.2, scientific linux 6.4, knoppix 7.2, salix 14.1
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Hi,


all the questions about problems with mounting optical disk
are probably due to the kernel bug.

But it is rather hard to get the kernel bug message in syslog.

So be patient. Sooner or later should be fixed.

OK! Let try to fix your problem:

1. Did you install slackware from CD-ROM ?
a) yes, I did. Ok, my advice: reinstall your system (oh no) but only with
base system (A series) and check if you are able to mount manually CD-ROM
b) no, I did'nt. Ok, try to use the install cd-rom. I guess it will work, then go to the point a)

Last edited by igadoter; 06-25-2010 at 05:44 AM. Reason: addons - misprinting
 
Old 07-12-2010, 03:36 AM   #24
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
Hi,


all the questions about problems with mounting optical disk
are probably due to the kernel bug.

But it is rather hard to get the kernel bug message in syslog.

So be patient. Sooner or later should be fixed.

OK! Let try to fix your problem:

1. Did you install slackware from CD-ROM ?
a) yes, I did. Ok, my advice: reinstall your system (oh no) but only with
base system (A series) and check if you are able to mount manually CD-ROM
b) no, I did'nt. Ok, try to use the install cd-rom. I guess it will work, then go to the point a)
Oh no! * My 13.1 system has much personal data transferred from BlueWhite64 13.0 so no reinstalling of SW64 13.1 will be done. Upgrading to 13.2 (6 months) is a possibility, but certainly not reinstalling.

Lastly, precisely what kernel bug are you implying? I just upgraded to 2.6.33.6 and the problem remains ... Periodically, I work with Slackware64 13.1 and add software so I won't have to do all that work later when the next version of Slackware64 is released which hopefully will fix this nightmare. My primary system remains BW64 13.0 until this problem is fixed.

* I may try the A series at some point ... maybe. More likely, I'll just periodically update SW64 13.1 until a new version of Slackware is released...

Last edited by tpreitzel; 07-12-2010 at 03:40 AM.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 05:51 AM   #25
igadoter
Member
 
Registered: Sep 2006
Location: wroclaw, poland
Distribution: slackware 12.2, scientific linux 6.4, knoppix 7.2, salix 14.1
Posts: 971

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I know mu post is not very useful.

My system once reported a kernel bug. I regret I didn't post it.

I think that at this moment all systems with new kernels 2.6.33.x
should be used carefully, always have up to date backup your
important files.

I know this sound not very nicely, especially in the view of that
slackware is supposed to be stable (for some people it is stable),
but now I am still testing slack 13.1.

At the first time I installed slack on jfs file system, but next decided to reinstall on ext2
(for me it seems to be more safe).

I don't want to blame slackware. I want to use it and I use it.
Fast inspection of the forums for other distros shows that each new release
has quite similar problems (excluding debian, centos etc... they use kernels 2.6.2).
 
Old 07-12-2010, 08:01 PM   #26
tpreitzel
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Posts: 253

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by igadoter View Post
I know mu post is not very useful.

My system once reported a kernel bug. I regret I didn't post it.

I think that at this moment all systems with new kernels 2.6.33.x
should be used carefully, always have up to date backup your
important files.

I know this sound not very nicely, especially in the view of that
slackware is supposed to be stable (for some people it is stable),
but now I am still testing slack 13.1.

At the first time I installed slack on jfs file system, but next decided to reinstall on ext2
(for me it seems to be more safe).

I don't want to blame slackware. I want to use it and I use it.
Fast inspection of the forums for other distros shows that each new release
has quite similar problems (excluding debian, centos etc... they use kernels 2.6.2).
Yeah, I agree that time for testing needs to be extended all across the board, both developers and users. Thanks for your clarification. Something is wrong. Who knows where the bug resides precisely? I'll just keep waiting and updating my SW64 13.1 system as appropriate. Best wishes to you and the people of Poland...

Last edited by tpreitzel; 07-12-2010 at 08:05 PM.
 
Old 07-12-2010, 10:04 PM   #27
Richard Cranium
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2009
Location: Carrollton, Texas
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 2,741

Rep: Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161Reputation: 1161
Quote:
Originally Posted by tpreitzel View Post
Yeah, I agree that time for testing needs to be extended all across the board, both developers and users. Thanks for your clarification. Something is wrong. Who knows where the bug resides precisely? I'll just keep waiting and updating my SW64 13.1 system as appropriate. Best wishes to you and the people of Poland...
Well, the problem is that "something is wrong" for a subset of Slackware users. (Fine. I guess that you could also state that "something is right" for a different subset of Slackware users. :-P )

I'd say that since Pat V and the set of Slackware maintainers/contributors did not see this issue, then I don't see how they would know the problem existed if the set of folks with the problem didn't whine about it. (Hey, I whine when I have problems with something.)

If you see problems in -current, you really, really, really need to report them. Pat's a nice guy who has some pride in Slackware. Who would want to release a broken distro?
 
Old 07-23-2010, 05:21 PM   #28
dhubsith
Member
 
Registered: Dec 2006
Location: New Mexico, USA
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 62

Rep: Reputation: 15
I haven't had time lately to pursue this issue, but I'll say that it is still very much a problem on my system. I have installed the latest stable kernel (2.6.34.1) and same result.

To summarize again:

The problem does not occur on Slackware 13.0, it was introduced with 13.1. Re-install 13.0 and the problem goes away.
It doesn't matter whether you use a supplied (pre-compiled) kernel or compile your own. Every kernel release that I've tried has the same result.
It doesn't matter if you use AHCI or not, same result
It doesn't matter if you have a fstab entry for /dev/sr0 or not.
I, for one, have NO problem mounting audio cd's, USB sticks, or flash cards, just cd's with a filesystem (ISO9660).

There are MANY threads all over the web on this issue, not just Slackware but other distros as well. Nobody appears to have solved it.
 
Old 07-24-2010, 12:30 AM   #29
kingbeowulf
Member
 
Registered: Oct 2003
Location: WA
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2 Slackware 14.2, Slackware{32,64}-current
Posts: 786
Blog Entries: 3

Rep: Reputation: 275Reputation: 275Reputation: 275
yeah, this is a weird one. I just double/triple checked and booted into Slackware64 13.0 multilib and had no problems with any of the CDs. In fact, this is the 1st time automatic mounting in Xfce and KDE didn't work in quite some time. The work around is simple: use "mount" ... well fine ... that "solution" is all over the 'net. However the core issue is still there. I now have issue with Slackware 13.1 (both types, various boxes), Ubuntu, Xubuntu and Absolute Linux. These are all "full" distro installations with the latest updates.

The kicker is its ONLY CDRs in my system and not even all of them: pressed, old, new, burned today, burned whenever. And NONE of these CDs has any problems being automounted on WinXP, Vista or Win7. Something broke along the way to 13.1 Is it the kernel? udev? The driver switch and /dev/srx? consolekit/policykit? Does /etc/rc.d/rc.autofs need to be set executable and if so why do DVDs automatically mount ok?

I don't run a server so a well behaved desktop GUI is important to me. The CDs mount ok manually but that is an extra step I did not need in the past.

I assume the Slackware team is aware of this and that not all of them is so "old school" that they spend all day at the CLI with mount/umount.

So what say you, gang? How do we fix this?
 
Old 07-24-2010, 12:03 PM   #30
wadsworth
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2007
Distribution: Slackware64 13.37
Posts: 215

Rep: Reputation: 65
I also have a machine running Slackware 13.1 that won't mount CDs.
I'll see something like this from dmesg
Code:
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Result: hostbyte=0x00 driverbyte=0x08
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] Sense Key : 0x5 [current] 
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] ASC=0x64 ASCQ=0x0
sr 1:0:0:0: [sr0] CDB: cdb[0]=0x28: 28 00 00 05 50 94 00 00 01 00
end_request: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1393232
Buffer I/O error on device sr0, logical block 348308
And KDE (or XFCE) will not offer to mount the CD.

Manually mounting the CD as root works.

Thumbdrives work.

The same hardware running Slackware 13.0 works.

This is an old PIII Coppermine, running the generic smp kernel.
Code:
IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
 
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Getting errors in syslog when mounting DVD McManCSU Ubuntu 3 11-16-2008 03:46 PM
errors in mounting an iso file rohit83.ken Linux - Software 3 12-21-2007 01:12 AM
errors mounting audio cd-rom niceday Debian 2 08-03-2007 05:00 AM
mounting an iso9660 with uid and gid set to user cwin Linux - Software 3 12-22-2004 06:45 PM
mounting network interfaces errors during bootup robeb Linux - General 0 07-03-2002 01:47 PM

LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration