LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   ASUS fx63vd WiFi Not Appear (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/asus-fx63vd-wifi-not-appear-4175631067/)

narke 06-02-2018 09:14 PM

ASUS fx63vd WiFi Not Appear
 
Hi,

The new laptop is ASUS fx63vd, with an Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 WiFi chip. The system is slack 14.2.

The problem is I didnít find any sign in the dmesg showing exists of the WiFi, I tried keywords such ad WiFi, Wireless, wlan with case insensitive. I checked the kernel already buit with iwlwifi driver module, it even has firmware file located in /lib/firmware. I can manually load the module with modprobe and see no error reported, but still can not get the wlan0 interface.

Please you expert give me an advice, I cannot live without WiFi. Thanks!

Woody

willysr 06-02-2018 10:31 PM

According to Intel's page, your chipset will be identified with Linux Kernel 4.6.+. Unfortunately Slackware 14.2 shipped with Linux kernel 4.4.x, so that means that you need to build your own kernel in order to get the device recognized by the kernel or try to use the modules iwlwifi-8265-ucode-22.361476.0.tgz

Gordie 06-02-2018 10:36 PM

Have you looked here?
https://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/

Or here?
https://www.linux-laptop.net/

EDIT - willysr beat me to the draw

narke 06-02-2018 10:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 5862743)
According to Intel's page, your chipset will be identified with Linux Kernel 4.6.+. Unfortunately Slackware 14.2 shipped with Linux kernel 4.4.x, so that means that you need to build your own kernel in order to get the device recognized by the kernel or try to use the modules iwlwifi-8265-ucode-22.361476.0.tgz

Thank you Willy for giving the important information. Since my power resume also not work, so I like to build a new kernel. I just not familiar with those firmware files in /lib/firmware, if I follow the doc and build a 4.6 kernel, will it take care for me all the firmware things?

Thanks.

-Woody

Gordie 06-02-2018 11:08 PM

You should be able to upgrade your kernel to the one from the current tree (4.14.47) easy enough

narke 06-03-2018 01:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 5862754)
You should be able to upgrade your kernel to the one from the current tree (4.14.47) easy enough

This is what I was doing half hour ago. But so weird, the 4.14.47 from the current tree did not boot ... I just can saw a very quick flash and the screen went back to the elilo boot menu again. Is that possible the binary kernel image has a problem?

Now I am going to rebuild it from the source on my laptop using the same config as that 'curent' provided.

Hope me good luck :(

willysr 06-03-2018 03:52 AM

Don't use kernel from -current as it was built with different GCC and toolchain that's available from your system (14.2). Best to build your own kernel using the -current SlackBuild script

narke 06-03-2018 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 5862796)
Don't use kernel from -current as it was built with different GCC and toolchain that's available from your system (14.2). Best to build your own kernel using the -current SlackBuild script

I just built a 4.14.47 kernel, the kernel tar.xz got from the "current", the ".config" also got from the "current" config-huge-4.14.47. I did the building with following:
- make bzImage
- make modules
- make modules_install
- remove the old /lib/firmware
- install the "current" version of kernel-firmware package
- then copy the bzImage to my EFI partiton and adjusted the elilo.conf

This time, I still cannot get a boot of the new kernel, it immediately reset the machine when loading the kernel.

What's possibly the problem? I feel this is quit unusual because I think, at least, the kernel should be loaded with success and a problem should only happen in a later driver initializing stages. I never met this kind of situation before.

Please ...

-woody

willysr 06-03-2018 04:42 AM

did you run elilo after editing your elilo.conf ?

why not use the proper SlackBuild from -current source tree instead of building them manually?

narke 06-03-2018 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 5862812)
did you run elilo after editing your elilo.conf ?

why not use the proper SlackBuild from -current source tree instead of building them manually?

There is no 'elilo' command in the system. As what I understood so far, I just need to edit the elilo.conf in the efi partition, the efi boot loader of the Slackware will read the elilo.conf file at booting time. Is this right?

I think I have to try the SlackBuild from the "current" source tree later.

narke 06-03-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willysr (Post 5862796)
Don't use kernel from -current as it was built with different GCC and toolchain that's available from your system (14.2). Best to build your own kernel using the -current SlackBuild script

I just built the 4.14.47 using the SlackBuild scripts from the -current source tree (actually it's the build-all-kernels.sh help script), but the kernel still cannot boot.

Gordie 06-03-2018 11:24 AM

How entrenched are you in using the stable release? Is it possible to you to try the latest LIVE current release to see if things work better for you?

http://slackware.uk/people/alien-sla...ve-current.iso

slac-in-the-box 06-03-2018 11:27 AM

the reason the huge-4.14.47 is looping under elilo is because it is too large for elilo unless a patch is applied... but if you use the generic-4.14.47 with an initrd it should boot all the way

narke 06-04-2018 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slac-in-the-box (Post 5862945)
the reason the huge-4.14.47 is looping under elilo is because it is too large for elilo unless a patch is applied... but if you use the generic-4.14.47 with an initrd it should boot all the way

Yes, thanks. This confirmed my guess, I think the size limit in elilo is around 8MB.

narke 06-04-2018 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gordie (Post 5862943)
How entrenched are you in using the stable release? Is it possible to you to try the latest LIVE current release to see if things work better for you?

http://slackware.uk/people/alien-sla...ve-current.iso

Thanks. Yes the live-current ISO works. Also I can not make 4.14.47 and 4.16.13 works. The reason why I previous attempts fail is because elilo has a size limitation as pointed by 'slack-in-the-box'.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:00 AM.