LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices


Reply
  Search this Thread
Old 01-11-2020, 04:44 PM   #31
drgibbon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 550

Rep: Reputation: 359Reputation: 359Reputation: 359Reputation: 359

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivandi View Post
Is there any hope for Slackware.
Yup
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2020, 05:00 PM   #32
NonNonBa
Member
 
Registered: Aug 2010
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 116

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
So, NonNonBa, what is it that you find so obsolete on 14.2 that presents an obstacle for you? I'm not having that experience.
A month ago, I've installed the 14.2 on a new laptop, and have been unable to start X until I'd change the kernel for the -current one. After, I've wanted to give a try to conky on it, but couldn't compile it because cmake is too old for its build. Therefore I've decided to upgrade cmake, getting the sources and SlackBuild from -current, but it's failed because libarchive (if I remember well) is too old. I've given up.

Last week, I was wondering how the SciTe editor has evolved (love of youth story), but have been stopped because g++ is too old. The same day, the ChangeLog of mkvtoolnix has decided me to update it, which I eventually can't do because boost is from now on too old.

All of this, while I'm not anymore the user I used to be, who enjoyed to play with new software. Nowadays, I try to pick in the official repo as much as possible and avoid to disturb things unless there is a really obvious gain. That's also why if I ever go to -current, it will be for good.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2020, 06:22 PM   #33
ChuangTzu
Senior Member
 
Registered: May 2015
Location: Where ever needed
Distribution: Slackware/Salix while testing others
Posts: 1,557

Rep: Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616Reputation: 1616
Quote:
Originally Posted by crts View Post
Classic ivandi, you are like a "Jack in the box". Every now and then you pop up, take a dump all over the place and are gone again. Noone knows exactly when, only that you will eventually pop up. It actually has become mildly entertaining.

*Stuffs Jack back into the box, winds up box* ... Well, see you next time.
We clearly had different Jack in the boxes....
 
2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:00 PM   #34
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,644

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
Quote:
Originally Posted by crts View Post
Classic ivandi, you are like a "Jack in the box". Every now and then you pop up, take a dump all over the place and are gone again. Noone knows exactly when, only that you will eventually pop up. It actually has become mildly entertaining.

*Stuffs Jack back into the box, winds up box* ... Well, see you next time.
He's a pure troll at this point. Frankly, I don't know why the moderators allow him to continue doing this.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:36 PM   #35
drgibbon
Member
 
Registered: Nov 2014
Distribution: Slackware64 14.2
Posts: 550

Rep: Reputation: 359Reputation: 359Reputation: 359Reputation: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by montagdude View Post
He's a pure troll at this point. Frankly, I don't know why the moderators allow him to continue doing this.
I don't find it offensive or disruptive that he has a negative opinion of Slackware, but I agree with hitest that it's kind of weird to hang around a community based on an operating system that you've apparently given up on and don't use any more.. just to tell people you don't use it any more \_(ツ)_/
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:38 PM   #36
cwizardone
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib."
Posts: 5,186
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689
Some of you are very thin-skinned.
He didn't use profanity.
He didn't drag his personal politics into it.
He just voiced an opinion.
 
13 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 04:05 AM   #37
crts
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,810

Rep: Reputation: 598Reputation: 598Reputation: 598Reputation: 598Reputation: 598Reputation: 598
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Some of you are very thin-skinned.
He didn't use profanity.
He didn't drag his personal politics into it.
He just voiced an opinion.
I agree that no moderator action is required. However, I think more and more people realize that ivandi's motives may not be entirely sincere. As far as I know, he maintained a PAM package that worked with Slackware. That package, however, did not make it into Slackware to this date. It seems he is taking this personally and his "routine" is just a coping mechanism for his frustration/disappointment. Therefore, I cannot take his comments seriously.

Last edited by crts; 01-12-2020 at 04:09 AM.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 05:43 AM   #38
Didier Spaier
LQ Addict
 
Registered: Nov 2008
Location: Paris, France
Distribution: Slint64-14.2.1.2 on Lenovo Thinkpad W520
Posts: 9,173

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by crts View Post
I agree that no moderator action is required. However, I think more and more people realize that ivandi's motives may not be entirely sincere. As far as I know, he maintained a PAM package that worked with Slackware. That package, however, did not make it into Slackware to this date. It seems he is taking this personally and his "routine" is just a coping mechanism for his frustration/disappointment. Therefore, I cannot take his comments seriously.
I disagree. I have no doubt about sincerity of Ivandi's motives and don't buy your assumption about him taking personally that his PAM package didn't make it to this date and that leaded to his post in this thread. A lot of people, including myself, proposed stuff for Slackware that were never accepted thus continue to provide it as third party stuff, without feeling let alone expressing their frustration here (if any) in any way.

PS I would be glad to get such a post for Slint: users' feedback help find what could be enhanced.

Last edited by Didier Spaier; 01-12-2020 at 05:52 AM.
 
5 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:33 AM   #39
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 2,098
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
I think ivandi still likes Slackware - or at least what it once was with regards to the old pace of releases. I don't think it's unfair to monitor a forum with that in mind and to reminisce. I made mention myself of how I moved to Debian on my desktop, and I don't think that's unfair to voice either, likewise neither is the fact that ivandi has moved to CRUX.

I still go to the Mint forum and post there occasionally, and I haven't used that distro for donkey's years. What would happen if Mint changed to MS Mint? Would I post there and say how terrible it was? Of course I would. And I am perfectly within my given rights to do so. We are all adults here surely, we can take contrary opinions, this place gets a bit boring when it turns into an echo chamber.

Last edited by Lysander666; 01-12-2020 at 06:54 AM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:22 AM   #40
montagdude
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2016
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 1,644

Rep: Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269Reputation: 1269
There is a difference between giving negative feedback from time to time and just popping in to post obnoxious things to rile everyone up. ivandi's posts are in the latter category IMO, but obviously others don't share my opinion. I will admit that this latest one was not as obnoxious as most of his others.

Last edited by montagdude; 01-12-2020 at 07:23 AM.
 
4 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 07:52 AM   #41
PROBLEMCHYLD
Member
 
Registered: Apr 2015
Posts: 919

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Some of you are very thin-skinned.
He didn't use profanity.
He didn't drag his personal politics into it.
He just voiced an opinion.
Exactly, Slackware has a lot of sensitive users. Its seems like if one doesn't agree with your stance it's a problem. He's NOT the first to leave nor will he be the last. All of the reporting to the mods because someone has voiced their opinion or feedback is so chyldish. Topics like these derail really fast is why they need to be closed immediately. When people have too much time on their hands they start to care about the unimportant things.

Last edited by PROBLEMCHYLD; 01-12-2020 at 07:59 AM.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:19 AM   #42
Lysander666
Senior Member
 
Registered: Apr 2017
Location: The Underearth
Distribution: Slackware, Debian
Posts: 2,098
Blog Entries: 6

Rep: Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304Reputation: 2304
Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
Slackware has a lot of sensitive users
Is the ratio moreso than on other OSs and how does one measure it? Slackware's userbase is older than, say, Arch's, but I don't know if that's a representation of sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
All of the reporting to the mods because someone has voiced their opinion or feedback is so chyldish.
If anyone reported said post above then I imagine the mods have justifiably ignored it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PROBLEMCHYLD View Post
When people have too much time on their hands they start to care about the unimportant things.
The devil makes work for idle hands.
 
1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:11 AM   #43
enorbet
Senior Member
 
Registered: Jun 2003
Location: Virginia
Distribution: Slackware = Main OpSys for decades while testing others to keep up
Posts: 2,575

Rep: Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwizardone View Post
Some of you are very thin-skinned.
He didn't use profanity.
He didn't drag his personal politics into it.
He just voiced an opinion.
I absolutely agree with all of this, excepting the 2nd line. One of the things I like and respect most about LQN is the Adult, Is-What-It-Is, Laissez Faire moderation here. If someone consistently offends you to where you just can't ignore it any longer, Ignore them in your settings and never see another post from them. What could be easier more adult or more freely and respectfully democratic?

As for that second line, I truly scratch my head. In this day and age where nobody is culturally isolated anymore how does even the concept of profanity even exist anymore? How is "poop" any less or more offensive to anyone than manure, ca ca, shit, shite, scheisse, merde, or any other symbolic representation of a natural thing? I'm really not trying to be rebellious, dramatic, or anything like that. I just truly don't understand and can't even imagine how anyone can be offended by a word, a mere symbol. I am offended by censorship.
 
3 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:25 AM   #44
hitest
Guru
 
Registered: Mar 2004
Location: Prince Rupert, B.C., Canada
Distribution: Slackware
Posts: 6,051

Rep: Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251Reputation: 2251
Time to get back on topic. I participated in the detour too.
I am excited as I speculate on the release of 15.0. I predict that we'll have 15.0 before the summer months.
 
Old 01-12-2020, 11:16 AM   #45
cwizardone
LQ Guru
 
Registered: Feb 2007
Distribution: Slackware64-current with "True Multilib."
Posts: 5,186
Blog Entries: 1

Rep: Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689Reputation: 2689
Quote:
Originally Posted by enorbet View Post
......
As for that second line, I truly scratch my head. In this day and age where nobody is culturally isolated anymore how does even the concept of profanity even exist anymore?......
I was in the military and can swear with the best/worst of them, but there is a time and a place, or, at least, there use to be a time and a place.
It is not called censorship, it is call standards. Societal Standards, or ethics or principles, ideals, morals, values. You know, the things that hold a society together.
All we have done over the last thirty years or so is drag their entire society down to the lowest common denominator. It is now OK, in some people's opinion, to act like prison trash. The F-word, and worst, is being used on TV shows and the more the deviant the behavior the better/worst, at least in the garbage being produced by Netflix.
I'm no prude. I've lived over 70s years and have traveled extensively, but this language and behavior offends me greatly and it would offend most people in the many countries I've visited.
If this is the new "norm" then the great American experiment is over. If things don't change for the better and soon, I don't give it another twenty years, if that, before the snowflakes either give it away or we have civil war. The tail has been wagging the dog for far too long.
Rant over.

Last edited by cwizardone; 01-12-2020 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Typo.
 
7 members found this post helpful.
  


Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:27 AM.

Main Menu
Advertisement
My LQ
Write for LQ
LinuxQuestions.org is looking for people interested in writing Editorials, Articles, Reviews, and more. If you'd like to contribute content, let us know.
Main Menu
Syndicate
RSS1  Latest Threads
RSS1  LQ News
Twitter: @linuxquestions
Facebook: linuxquestions Google+: linuxquestions
Open Source Consulting | Domain Registration