LinuxQuestions.org

LinuxQuestions.org (/questions/)
-   Slackware (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/)
-   -   amarok problem with non-ascii characters (https://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/amarok-problem-with-non-ascii-characters-816410/)

metageek 06-25-2010 03:56 PM

amarok problem with non-ascii characters
 
I'm stuck with the problem of amarok refusing to play songs that have any non-ascii characters in the metadata, which is about 1/3 of my collection... A solution to that problem would be ideal, but if there is a good alternative (like amarok 1.x series) I would probably switch...

AlvaroG 06-25-2010 04:39 PM

I had a similar problem in my install, the solution for me was to move to an UTF-8 locale.
The problem was that after changing the locale, I was not able to open any file with non-ascii characters in its name (at least with Dolphin and the KDE programs): the iso8859-1 chars were converted to garbage in the change to UTF-8. The internet gave the solution to that: a perl utility named 'convmv' that was able to convert the names to the proper encoding.

metageek 06-25-2010 05:01 PM

AlvaroG,
this does not sound optimal to me, why does amarok nor recognize other locales (encodings)? But it there is no better solution I may have to do the same...

AlvaroG 06-25-2010 07:05 PM

Neither it was optimal for me (mind you, my native language is Spanish so I had to correct a lot of files after the conversion), but that was the only recommendation I found at the time in the internet. Some time has passed since, a better solution may be available.

linuxs64 06-26-2010 12:09 AM

You may want to do a search on dugan's thread "Beautiful fonts" and follow the links on his sig. Below is what was adapted from his instructions for changing system-wide locale:

Code:

locale -a
gives a list of possible locales. Identify desired locale and input into file /etc/profile.d/lang.sh by editing line

Code:

export LANG=en_US
To input other languages, check dugan's sig to enable scim. There's a bug with scim crashing firefox, workaround is to include line

Code:

scim -d
in file ~/.xprofile

metageek 06-26-2010 05:48 AM

I found dougan's thread and his great home page (http://www.vcn.bc.ca/~dugan/) and combining the relevant info there plus a bit more googling resulted in the following solution:

1- make sure CONFIG_NLS_UTF8=y is defined in the kernel config
2- use append=" vt.default_utf8=1" (lilo.conf)
3- set LANG=en_US.UTF-8 in /etc/profile.d/lang.sh
4- set "iocharset=utf8" in the fstab entry for my filesystem (JFS), which makes JFS translate the filenames to/from UTF8 (ie no need to change filenames)

That was all, no need to rename files due to the nice feature of JFS, if you use a different filesystem then you must check to see if there is an equivalent option.

Now amarok2 can finally deal with all my music files and I got it to work almost like version 1.4 (what a waste of time this was!)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:02 AM.