LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Other *NIX Forums > Solaris / OpenSolaris
User Name
Password
Solaris / OpenSolaris This forum is for the discussion of Solaris, OpenSolaris, OpenIndiana, and illumos.
General Sun, SunOS and Sparc related questions also go here. Any Solaris fork or distribution is welcome.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-23-2003, 05:40 PM   #1
mindcry

Distribution: Libranet 2.8 Debian Solaris 9

Rep: Reputation: 15
Sun hardware

I am thinking about buying a sun machine to help me learn solaris a little better. I know that the archetecture between sun and x86 is different. So, what would be comparable to an x86 1ghz or 3ghz processor?

Old 01-26-2003, 08:50 PM   #2
jdc2048

Distribution: Redhat, Gentoo, Solaris, HP-UX, etc...

Rep: Reputation: 30
If you want to get in with little $$$, then I suggest you opt for the Sun Blade 100, you can usually get them under 1000 USD. If you just want something to learn on I would look for a used Ultra 5 on e-bay. I picked one up for 380 USD about 6 months ago. It is a decent machine, and comparing Sparc to x86 is like comparing apples to rotten oranges. My Ultra 5 is only running a 333mhz chip with 256 MB RAM, but it is a 64 bit chip with much more reliable hardware. I would compare it to a 1ghz x86 with the same amount of ram.

-------------
Jeremiah

Old 01-31-2003, 08:09 AM   #3
atomicpunk
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Working with everything from Ultra 1s to E6500s, I have to tell you, you're full of it.

Ultra 5's are DOGS. Yeah, a Blade would be a decent bit better, but frankly I'd rather have an Ultra 1 than most Ultra 5s - the better backplane and SCSI makes up for the lack of CPU power.

I still deploy production apps on Ultra 1 200Es. I removed all our Ultra 5s from production a while ago. They're also not very reliable - out of about 15 machines, I think we've lost the internal video on 5 of them. Luckily, as servers, I can't say I care.

Mindcry: Do yourself a favor, save a few bucks an learn Solaris x86. The differences are few. If you really want to learn the ins and outs of Sun hardware, buy an Ultra 1 200E. If you can't find one on ebay, I have a bunch of them lying around - I'd sell one for $150. I also have Ultra 5s lying around, but I won't sell you one because you don't want one.

People really need to get over the "gee whiz" factor of running on a Sparc instead of an x86 box. Yeah, it's cool. Yeah, we've all been through that. They're fun toys, and if you have the extra cash and don't care about performance, grab one and enjoy it. However, if you want bang for the buck for a non-enterprise class server, Solaris x86 is where you want to be.

Old 02-02-2003, 04:37 AM   #4
GtkUser

Distribution: Redhat 9.0

Rep: Reputation: 30
When Intel starts shipping Palladium, I'll be forced to seriously consider Sparc as my next hardware when the time comes to pick up a new PC. Othewise x86 and Linux seems to be the most logical choice.