LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-20-2005, 08:31 AM   #1
amon

Distribution: Debian, Ubantu, CentOS

Rep: Reputation: 17
Pentium M cooling problem

After some time of problems with my laptop HP/compaq nx5000 i have realised why it goes slow sometimes and freezes. the fan on the CPU is not working as it is a system controled thing.

what am i doing wrong? ive googled and haven't found a solution for it.

i mainly run the laptop from mains electrisity so i'm not worried about saving my battery.

this may be linked to my previous problem in this thread:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...hreadid=213429

Old 06-20-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
jtshaw

Distribution: Ubuntu @ Home, RHEL @ Work

Rep: Reputation: 67
Are you using ACPI? If so, make sure you have the processor module, thermal module and fan module loaded (if they are compiled as modules on your system). That should take care of it, they have some default temp triggers that will automagically start the fans up.

Old 06-20-2005, 10:30 AM   #3
amon

Original Poster
ok i think i deserve an award for idiot of the year...

i just went to look at my acpi configuration and found out that it wasn't installed (daft me for thinking it was installed automaticaly) I just apt-get installed acpi and the fan starts before the rest of my updates are done installing/configuring. thanks anyway, at least you pointed me in the direction of acpi. i'm going to hide under a rock till people forget about my stupidity

Old 06-20-2005, 01:44 PM   #4
jtshaw

Quote:
Originally posted by amon
ok i think i deserve an award for idiot of the year...
I just apt-get installed acpi and the fan starts before the rest of my updates are done installing/configuring. thanks anyway, at least you pointed me in the direction of acpi. i'm going to hide under a rock till people forget about my stupidity
I think your being just a touch hard on yourself here Good to hear your running cool.

Old 06-22-2005, 05:54 AM   #5
hyllplan

Distribution: Debian (Sarge), Red Hat, Ubuntu, Knoppix

Rep: Reputation: 15
My fans are working alright although no ACPI pkg?

My fans are working alright although I did not have the ACPI package installed?
I can hear that the fans are regulated. I only have support for ACPI in the kernel I have removed APM, is it the BIOS that have controled the fans for me?
If I have understood things right APM was supported from BIOS while ACPI should be handled by the OS?

Old 06-22-2005, 10:39 AM   #6
jtshaw

hyllplan,
The ACPI hardware usually has some default settings for when to turn on what fans based on temp. triggers on different thermal zones. Just by enabling ACPI these defaults should be put in place. You only need an acpi user space daemon running if you want to do something other then the default... at least that is what my understand of ACPI is. I too don't use acpid to control it but my fans will not come on without the kernel modules loaded.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:57 PM   #7
honeybadger

Distribution: Slackware (mainly) and then a lot of others...

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
same issue

I use Ubuntu 7.0 and when I saw this process runnning in the background it was using 117% of my cpu --- I reboot the pc (I have dual boot to win xp) to XP nothing out of the ordinary shows up - cpu usage looks real good - I boot up ubuntu again and this process is eating away a good 98% of my pc - I tried to kill the process but it was no good. So I shut down the pc and did a hard reset. This seemed to help bcoz the processes were no longer running. Now I wonder if I did the right thing !!!

Old 07-25-2008, 08:32 AM   #8
amon

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBack View Post
I use Ubuntu 7.0 and when I saw this process runnning in the background it was using 117% of my cpu --- I reboot the pc (I have dual boot to win xp) to XP nothing out of the ordinary shows up - cpu usage looks real good - I boot up ubuntu again and this process is eating away a good 98% of my pc - I tried to kill the process but it was no good. So I shut down the pc and did a hard reset. This seemed to help bcoz the processes were no longer running. Now I wonder if I did the right thing !!!
If you have not had any problems then all is good.

ACPI is to do with monitoring and management of power (electricity) very important on laptops (I needed mine to turn on my CPU fan)... perhaps not so important on desktops