LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Debian
User Name
Password
Debian This forum is for the discussion of Debian Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 03-23-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
lilghost
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
mouse fail in debian

seems like even i have install the mouse configuration at dpkg-reconfiguration xxserver-xfree86 the mouse just dont work. And after reinstalling i restart the laptop, it keeps saying eth0 fails but as for my external hdisk, it can be detected but ill have to wait a while for it to load. anyone can teach a newbie linux how to solve this as laptop mouse touchpad is kinda troublesome for me. thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
hypnos

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
A possible solution to the mouse problem(?):

$ su
Password:
# apt-get install mdetect
# dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86
# exit
$ startx

Old 03-25-2005, 10:31 AM   #3
lilghost
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
re:

well ive tried ur method but is da same result...the mouse just dont work....
in dpkg i selected /dev/psaux -> ps2 -> exit and restart...mouse still dont work.

and also whenever i restart my linux OS ... there is one error that is quite annoying....

usb 2-2: control timeout on ep0in

it keeps having a few line of this then goes into linux....does this affect the mouse usb port?

Old 03-25-2005, 11:34 AM   #4
hypnos

Distribution: debian

Rep: Reputation: 15
Mdetect should let you choose autoconfiguration for mouse in dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86. If you use debian testing or unstable with 2.6 kernel, try /dev/input/mice for ps/2 mouse. If you use debian stable or 2.4 kernel, try upgrading your system. Installing udev might also be worth a try (but only on a system with 2.6 kernel).

Old 03-26-2005, 07:10 AM   #5
lilghost
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Re:

well mine is kernel 2.6 and seems like the mouse doesnt work at all. sigh *frustrated*
try using ur way but is the same...not sure whats wrong...

besides that, is weird that some of the command in linux for mine is gone. example when i type:
$man zip
No manual entry for zip

could you teach me anyway to install the package for that because i need to do my assingment and without mouse is also very troublesome...thanks ^.^

Old 05-20-2005, 08:10 AM   #6
kaz2100

Distribution: SlackWare > Debian testing woody(32) sarge etch lenny squeeze(+64) wheezy jessie stretch buster

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
Thumbs down

I ran into similar problem, with 2.4.29 kernel (Debian woody). While I was configuring additional USB device (HID), trackpad became crabby. Very poor response, sometimes every several seconds or more.

I thought it was hardware problem, but it works with Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10) without any problem.

I tried to figure out what problem was. I replaced XFree86 package (4.1 -> 4.4/4.5), which did not work at all. Several kernel options (ipv6, hid, input layer....) At the end of the day, everything got screwed up and practically unrecoverable.

Old 05-20-2005, 11:30 AM   #7
utanja

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally posted by kaz2100
I ran into similar problem, with 2.4.29 kernel (Debian woody). While I was configuring additional USB device (HID), trackpad became crabby. Very poor response, sometimes every several seconds or more.

I thought it was hardware problem, but it works with Slackware 10.1 (2.6.10) without any problem.

I tried to figure out what problem was. I replaced XFree86 package (4.1 -> 4.4/4.5), which did not work at all. Several kernel options (ipv6, hid, input layer....) At the end of the day, everything got screwed up and practically unrecoverable.
the mouse section of you XF86Config-4 should look something like this provided you are using the PS2 port for you mouse...

Code:
Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Configured Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"CorePointer"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
	Identifier	"Generic Mouse"
	Driver		"mouse"
	Option		"SendCoreEvents"	"true"
	Option		"Device"		"/dev/input/mice"
	Option		"Protocol"		"ImPS/2"
	Option		"Emulate3Buttons"	"true"
	Option		"ZAxisMapping"		"4 5"
EndSection
please list your similar section

Last edited by utanja; 05-20-2005 at 11:32 AM.

Old 05-23-2005, 02:22 PM   #8
kaz2100

Distribution: SlackWare > Debian testing woody(32) sarge etch lenny squeeze(+64) wheezy jessie stretch buster

Rep: Reputation: 105Reputation: 105
Thanks,

I did not check ImPS/2 before crisis. Now it works.