LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > SUSE / openSUSE
User Name
Password
SUSE / openSUSE This Forum is for the discussion of Suse Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-15-2004, 06:50 AM   #1
foxy123

Distribution: Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 30
Firefox Installation

Firstly, I downloaded FF 1.0 and installed in in /usr/loca/src. It worked ok. But then I found FF in suse distro (in Gnome desktop I believe and decided to install it from there). So I did it and saw that it was 0.10 release. I think it was installed to /opt/MozillaFirefox. So I decided to move the files from src to opt. Now I have a problem. Under root FF works ok, but when I try to launch in inder a user it does not. Also the links in Thunderbird do not open in FF (they do not open at all). I can change the way to the file in the button on the task bar, but I cannot make the links work. I think that it should be somewhere in path but I have no idea how to fix it. COuld anyone help?

Old 12-15-2004, 10:29 AM   #2
abisko00

Rep: Reputation: 58
I can't help with you current problem, but I could offer an alternative:

Delete whatever you have copied around yourself,
then download firefox from here: ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/projects/mozilla/firefox/
and install the rpm via Yast.

Old 12-15-2004, 03:05 PM   #3
STuPiDiCuS

Distribution: SuSE 9.1/9.2/9.3 Pro, OpenSuSE 10.0, 10.1, Currently 10.2 32&64 bit

Rep: Reputation: 15
I dont' knwo how many times I've played with this very issue, and here's what I've come up with:
Uninstall both versions, then reinstall from your suse packages. then run YOU, and you'll have a newer, but not newest version. it's ok though, because that one has the "edit-> preferences -> advanced -> software update" thing. hit check now, and it'll update your firefox automatically and leave it in the same spot so your links still work. if that doesn't work, let me know.

Old 12-19-2004, 02:18 PM   #4
foxy123

Original Poster
nothing helps. Links are opened ok under root but not under a user

Old 12-19-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
pilotgi

Distribution: openSUSE Tumbleweed

Rep: Reputation: 33
Did you uninstall the version you installed in /usr/local/src? Have you uninstalled every version of Firefox you installed previously and installed the one that abisko00 recommended?

You may need to delete the ~.mozilla/firefox files before installing a new copy. Choose 'show hidden files' under the view button of the Konqueror file manager. Since you installed multiple versions in different directories, you'll need to look in /usr/local/src and /opt/MozillaFirefox for files that have the . before the name. Like /opt/MozillaFirefox/.mozilla/firebird/profiles.ini

Also, I recommend downloading the firefox-installer from mozilla.org to your home directory and installing it as a regular user. Here are the instructions:

Linux/GTK2

Extract the tarball and run the installer like so:

tar -xzvf firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz
cd firefox-installer
./firefox-installer

Last edited by pilotgi; 12-19-2004 at 05:42 PM.

Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 AM   #6
foxy123

Original Poster
thanks a lot. the problem was that firefox was not a default browser. As soon as I checked it the links started to open.