LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > LinuxQuestions.org > LQ Suggestions & Feedback
User Name
Password
LQ Suggestions & Feedback Do you have a suggestion for this site or an idea that will make the site better? This forum is for you.
PLEASE READ THIS FORUM - Information and status updates will also be posted here.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-05-2004, 12:32 AM   #1
Triple5

Distribution: Frugalware, Kanotix,

Rep: Reputation: 15
Close My Account

Please close my account , since I'm creating a new 1 under "Triple5"

Thank You Also, before its close, will my current threads affect it?

I couldnt' PRvt Msg Jeremy to tell you so I had to create this

Old 12-05-2004, 02:41 AM   #2
vharishankar

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 138Reputation: 138
You could also have emailed Jeremy. Though PM is disabled on this board for non-contributing members, the e-mail link works for those who choose to reveal it.

I don't know what is meant by "closing" an account. If you want it deleted, then your threads *might* get affected although some Bulletin boards merely convert all your old threads as "Guest" or "Anonymous" posts.

If you merely want to change your name, you can request the board administrator (in this case Jeremy) to do it for you...

Old 12-05-2004, 03:08 AM   #3
Triple5

Original Poster
Thanks, I'll tell him to change it then

ty

Old 12-05-2004, 08:40 AM   #4
trickykid
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 256Reputation: 256Reputation: 256
Email him with good reasons in why you need your name changed. In most cases with as little posts you have, he's not going to take the time to swap them to your new member name, this all boils down to that good reason for the change.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:07 AM   #5
vharishankar

Quote:
Originally posted by trickykid
Email him with good reasons in why you need your name changed. In most cases with as little posts you have, he's not going to take the time to swap them to your new member name, this all boils down to that good reason for the change.
This feature might not even be available on this board (though I haven't used vBulletin) but in phpBB based boards, the "merging" users thing is not available (maybe implemented as a hack/mod)...

Old 12-05-2004, 09:10 AM   #6
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Originally posted by Harishankar
This feature might not even be available on this board (though I haven't used vBulletin) but in phpBB based boards, the "merging" users thing is not available (maybe implemented as a hack/mod)...
AFAIK, it might be an option but with all the other customizations of this board, with the HCL, Reviews, etc.. I'm sure Jeremy hasn't made it himself for this board as he looks down upon changing names, it seems to be its a lot of hassle for Jeremy to switch user names on these forums and site. Members should choose their names the first time and be more decisive when signing up on sites like these when choosing those names.

Old 12-05-2004, 09:13 AM   #7
vharishankar

Imagine a board with near 150,000 and you get about a hundred requests for changing names!!

I think this is the third or fourth time in a short span of time that this request has been made here...

Old 12-05-2004, 09:17 AM   #8
trickykid
LQ Guru

Quote:
Imagine a board with near 150,000 and you get about a hundred requests for changing names!!

I think this is the third or fourth time in a short span of time that this request has been made here...
And its usually very rare too, like I said, those that are indecisive and want to change their name after a few posts cause they seem to want a cooler name, that's not a good enough reason to me.

And one of the main reasons we don't want members to be able to change their registered names is that means anyone can change at anytime, it would confuse those who know those members by name, throw other users off base, etc.. Its just not a good idea to allow such actions, pick your name, stick with it.. its not that hard!

Old 12-05-2004, 03:39 PM   #9
J.W.
LQ Veteran

Distribution: Mint

Rep: Reputation: 85
As a side comment, let's also acknowledge that the username has zero functional impact, so going through the trouble to update "abc" to "xyz" simply does not and will not produce any actual benefits, either for LQ or for you. It's not like having a new nickname is going to result in a different LQ experience.

Besides, the nickname of the user is irrelevant - what really counts here is the content of the posts, and some of the best advice and information I've learned here has come from members with names that at least to me make no sense at all. In other words, your existing nick really isn't any better or worse than the new one you're proposing. As for transferring thread counts, it just isn't worth the trouble and would be a maintenance nightmare. My recommendation would be to just stick with what you've got. -- J.W.

Old 12-06-2004, 12:18 AM   #10
Triple5

Original Poster
Thumbs up

Quote:
You could also have emailed Jeremy. Though PM is disabled on this board for non-contributing members, the e-mail link works for those who choose to reveal it.

I don't know what is meant by "closing" an account. If you want it deleted, then your threads *might* get affected although some Bulletin boards merely convert all your old threads as "Guest" or "Anonymous" posts.

If you merely want to change your name, you can request the board administrator (in this case Jeremy) to do it for you...

Thank You very much!!!