LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-18-2002, 05:33 PM   #1
cassady
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Red Hat 7.3

Rep: Reputation: 0
so many ?'s about Red Hat 7.3, where to begin...

Well, I have several stumbling blocks that I am trying to resolve, and any help would be appreciated. I thought I would just lump them together in hopes of not throwing up a bunch of seperate threads.
Machine info: Gateway600ygr laptop, 1.6 P4 chip 256ddr ram running RH 7.3

ok, here it goes:
1. Sound card problems - it found the sound card, but I have not been able to adjust the volume levels - i have tried the sound server with no luck.

2. multiple partitions - hda1 is a win partition, hda2 is linux, hda5 and hda6 are fat32 partitions with data that I want to access, but have not been able to completly. I can read an write thru root, but not as any other user. I have tried chmod to 777 ( i thought that would do it) and also several attempts at changing the fstab in various ways, and no matter what I try, I can only come up with read only thru all other users.

2a. The hda1 partition is empty, and I had considered putting win98 on it - (no choice at this time due to software that is not avaliable for linux due to business reasons). I have a old hard drive with win98 on it and had considered using drive image and transfering it to my current hard drive, but didn't know if it would destroy grub, or would it be better with a fresh install?

3. A better option in my book would be to run either wine, vmware or something of the such so i don't have to bother with windows, if i can get the software to play nice. any thoughts on options would be appreciated.

4. touchpad is dead in the water. I installed with a usb mouse attached, and linux does not either recognise or acknowledge the touchpad on the laptop. I am not sure if it may be a problem with the touchpad, similar to the wonderfull winmodems or not. is there a way to toggle between the two, or run them both at the same time?

5. dvd player - xine is not playing well, and I have not been able to watch dvd's. is there a better player, or is it just my bumbling and inability to set it up.

I think that covers the main questions, I can think of, but I am sure that I am forgetting something... oh yeah,

6. after seeing a game of xbill being played, a friend decided to run home and switch from win to Red Hat 7.3. Is that behavior normal, because it seems normal, but a couple of other people thought that wasn't. any opinions?

Thank you all for any assistance with my trials and tribulations in advvance, I have been running linux on this laptop for about 2 weeks, so I still have a lot of learning to do, and the help is always appreciated.

Old 07-18-2002, 06:12 PM   #2
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 65
1. Sound, have you found the "mixer", I'm assuming Gnome, its under multimedia.

2. /dev/hdb6 /mnt/win vfat auto,gid=1000,umask=007 0 0

is an fstab entry that would mount the drive belonging to whomever is in group 1000 from /etc/groups, and give them read-write-execute permission over that drive and no one else. This is probably the kind of thing you're angling for, adjusting as needed.

2a. I don't know what the "disk image" would do, not familiar with that utility. Installing 98 will of course over-write the MBR and zap grub. With a boot disk (check out the command mkbootdisk), you can boot back into Linux, make a grub.conf entry for windows, re-run Grub and be back to happy. My one bit of caution is: some of that hardware is new enough as to not have any support under '98.

3. For this task, probably wine instead of vmware... where you install Linux, install VMware, then install Windows on-top of that. VMware is cool when you need 5 servers running on one machine. I don't know though 1.4Ghz is pretty fast...

4. Touchpads usually conform to a standard similar to the PS/2... try This:

Disconnect any extra mouse, usb, PS/2, whatever, then run from a command line: ./usr/X11/bin/XFree86 -configure

Then do what it says next and see if that gets the touchpad running. If you had a different mouse plugged in for install, it might have probed that and stopped there. Yeah there is a way to switch, although I don't know it offhand. Its definately going to take some manual hacking of your XF86Config file.

5. There is no licensed DVD player for linux and all the commercial distros are far too concerned about their butts to ship one. Xine isn't broken, you just have to cast about for the plug-ins, and compile them by hand. If the archives here don't do it, and neither does www.google.com/linux, post back and I'll look into it. I always use mplayer myself.

6. Xbill causes spontaneous enlightenment, it has been known to happen. Normal, heck no... that's weird.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 07-18-2002, 06:25 PM   #3
jetblackz

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 30
Welcome to Linux!

I don't pretend to know all the answers so...

1) K> Multimedia> Sound Mixer

2) You should have let Install include relevant Win partitions and rename them accordingly under root.

umount /mnt/win_c
mv /mnt/win_c /mnt/w98
pico /etc/fstab
add something like this

/dev/hda1 /mnt/w98 vfat iochartset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

One space instead of tab in between parts.

mount /mnt/w98

2a) Norton Ghost does it better than anything when it comes to backing up & respawning a partition. Another quick way

install W98 barebone
boot to safemode (hit F8)
format c:
copy everything from old to new drives
boot to Linux bootdisc
login as root
recover grub (man grub)

3) What software exactly do you want to run? You could let StarOffice/OpenOffice replace MS Office and Evolution replace Outlook, for example.

6) You're kidding me. You mean the behavior of your friend?

Old 07-18-2002, 08:12 PM   #4
cassady
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ok, so far I was able to get the sound up and running, at least thru kde

I will try to get wine up and running, see how that goes

The software I am most concerned with is ProShots by kodak, I was not able to find how to make it play with linux. I have been converting all my files over to open office, most of it has been going fairly smoothly. I am needing to find a way to play with pagemaer 7 thru linux, or a good alternative, because all my flyers and such were created with pagemaker7.

I have started working with the gimp but I have a feeling that I may need to keep running photoshop 7 for collaborated work with others.

I will be trying the touchpad later this evening when I can have a chance, along with the fstab / 1000 group

oh, came across another problem, blackbox - i thought i had shut doen kde so i could run black box, but I have no idea how that happened, and it was not able to start the x server? i think? it was in the wee hours of the morning and I figured it was best to walk away for a bit.

thanks, and i'll let you know when i can get these things running.

Old 07-19-2002, 12:47 AM   #5
jetblackz

You are doing great. Keep it up.

ProShots, I assume, is a photo capturing program. If you have a USB digicam, you can find out if the model is right under K> Control Panel> Info> USB.

On the right-most of my taskbar before the clock is kmixapplet that looks and works like Windows volume control. K> Control Panel> Sound> Mixer> Load...

I think you're better off keeping W98 for PageMaker, ProShots, etc. I have one for programming.

As for blackbox, if it's a window manager, you can set it up so you log right into it with the option at login or run KDE Control Panel on desktop> Window manager.

Last edited by jetblackz; 07-19-2002 at 12:48 AM.

Old 07-19-2002, 03:53 AM   #6
cassady
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ProShots is a program for photography studios, basically the photos I take and process I have sent back to me in proofs and a cd that i can load in and crop and order prints for the client just the way they want the crop and amount. the info is sent to the lab and the negs are rinted. saves a bunch of cost, and the clients love seeing the images and ordering, the way they want it.

got the sound working great, but have not come across a volume control.

I tried blackbox thru window manager but it would not accept, i'll try tinkering with it a bit more.

looked into evolution instead of outlook, but I was not sure that it would work with kde since it said it was for gnome. I thought i would give aethera a shot, thought i had it installed, followed the instructions, but was not able to figure out how to get it running (think I must be stuck in micro$oft mode or something)

I have come up with another problem, I have a smart media card for a fuji digital camera, and a smart media pcmcia card to transfer the images - jpeg format, but can not get linux to see the pcmcia card. I have tried clicking on the battery icon, it pops up a option for card slots, to enable slots, trudge thru that, and it showas as empty slot, but it shows the modem. anyone have thoughts on what may be wrong, or the such?

Old 07-19-2002, 09:46 AM   #7
JHuizingh

Distribution: Gentoo 1.4

Rep: Reputation: 15
Evolution will work under KDE. You will need some gnome libraries installed for it to run though. What kind of errors are you getting when trying to run evolution?

Old 07-19-2002, 12:48 PM   #8
jetblackz

It sounds like your computer is in the office. Then you have to be absolutely sure to have a working PC at all time. In such case, keep Windows.

Are you trying to migrate to Linux for the office computer?

StarOffice for Wintel & Linux has all the features you're looking for: word processor, spreadsheet, e-mail and even organiser called "StarScheduler". It looks like Office 2000. Old versions are free. 6.0, I'm not sure about it.

http://wwws.sun.com/software/star/st...2/faq.html#0q0
http://www.staroffice.com
http://www.ximian.com/products/ximian_evolution/

I used to have a CF/SM USB card reader. It worked with Mandrake. I think you need to mount it before you can access any pictures. Run Terminal, K> Systems> Shell. And type

cat /etc/fstab

Copy & paste contents here. Use your mouse to highlight, copy is auto. Middle mouse button is paste.

For PCMCIA, read this

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=25873

If blackbox is listed in K> Control Panel> Login Man> Sessions> Available..., then you should be able to choose it at login.

Last edited by jetblackz; 07-19-2002 at 02:00 PM.

Old 07-19-2002, 04:38 PM   #9
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 65
Quote:
Originally posted by jetblackz

For PCMCIA, read this

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...threadid=25873
Oh my, please don't use that thread, that guy's machine is a mess, largely because he needs to upgrade distros, is working through 2 major different versions of pcmcia, his hardware is brand-new and his distro is a year and a half old, the pcmcia flash card reader is probably just not supported, its a pretty niche item for someone to have come up with drivers for and the manufacturer probably didn't see the Linux laptop community as anything worth writing them for; we'll find out... what's the exact model of the puppy?

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 07-19-2002, 04:47 PM   #10
BruceCadieux

Distribution: openSuSE 11.1

Rep: Reputation: 32
You can get everything you need right here to have a fully functional DVD payer it's called ogle and you will need about 6 rpm's to get it running. http://www.dtek.chalmers.se/groups/dvd/redhat.shtml

Xine will work, all you need for it is the d4d plugin and to turn off Xsyncronizing in its control options. I have both Xine and ogle working very well for DVD playback, with ogle being the easier of the two to operate.

I have a couple DVD's that won't play in Windows unless you install the software that is on the DVD it's self, those play in Xine but not ogle. Bot of the 75 or so DVD's I have I haven't come accross one that I couldn't play.

Just do a search on google for d4d plugin, and the directions will be there. ogle is a no brainer point and click afair to get going if you use the RPM's

Old 07-22-2002, 05:31 AM   #11
cassady
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ok, lets see where I stand...
on the hard drives - I have tried both

/dev/hda5 /mnt/data1 vfat iochartset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/drpepper vfat iochartset=iso8859-1,umask=0,codepage=850 0 0

and
/dev/hda5 /mnt/data1 vfat auto,gid=500,umask=007 0 0
/dev/hda6 /mnt/drpepper vfat auto,gid=500,umask=007 0 0

the only changes from the suggested posts above were the names of the partitions and the group id to 500 because that was the group id for the user i have set up other than root.

I am downloading ogle right now for a dvd player

I have not been able to download star office 5.2 - went thru download.com and came up with info that 5.2 was no longer available. Downloaded open office, but the fonts and all text are s p a c e d l i k e t h i s w h i c h makes it very difficult to use.\

I tried evolution, but can not get it to run in kde or gnome, it tries to launch but nothing happens. I think i will have to stay with mozilla mail.

I have the touchpad working now

I have had to <cringe> put win98 back on for the pro shots and fonesync software, until I can get wine configured.

The computer is the office computer home computer, middle of the night coffee shop and a few other descriptive terms for it, and I am wanting to fully migrate to linux for well, if I went into all the reasons for anti micro$oft, that may take a while. The top of the list though is this right here, a huge support gtoup that is willing to teach others, and thank all of wou that have posted and are helping me get going in linux. One of my goals is to be able to say that my business is run fully on linux, if for no better reason than why not?

I just picked up a handspring visor with usb cable craddle, and have not been able to get it to sync, I think the best way may be to pick up a serial cable for it... until I can get the usb to play.

on the pcmcia: the a simple technology smart media adapter p/n 61-242000010 and a sandisk 64mb smart media card.
the laptop is a gateway 600ygr the camera is a fuji mx-1200

I think that covers where I am standing at right now, although I am sure that I have probably forgotten something...

Old 07-22-2002, 08:33 AM   #12
moronikos
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SUSE, ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 15
For sound...

try playing with aumix. It's a console based application with a character based UI. If you play a CD, turn your speaker volume all the way up, and hear the CD at a very low volume, then tweaking the settings of aumix should fix the problem.

Old 07-22-2002, 10:00 AM   #13
BruceCadieux

Distribution: openSuSE 11.1

Rep: Reputation: 32
I was having a difficult time with the Handspring also.

One thing I found out was that I had to give users other than root access to my USB devices. If you're on a multi-user system then please change the security as is appropriate. This is done by:

chmod 666 /dev/ttyUSB*

For most people two certain "ports" will be used. First ttyUSB0 (generic connection) and the second being ttyUSB1 (the hotsync connection). Both of these "ports" are opened when a Handspring Visor connects. Most synchronization software tend to look for certain symbolic ports. I went ahead and created three symbolic links to the hotsysnc port, ttyUSB1. They are:

cd /dev
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 pilot
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 palm
ln -s /dev/ttyUSB1 visor

After J-Pilot is running hit CTRL-E to bring up the preferences menu. Under serial port leave it blank. The program defaults to /dev/pilot which you should have set up earlier as a symbolic link to /dev/ttyUSB1.

OK synchronizing the software to the Handspring takes a few steps. First you need to hit the hotsysnc button on the HandSpring. Then you need to click on the SYNC button in the software. If you don't do it this way you will not be able to synchronize the two!

I used this method to sync with J-Pilot, all has been great since. Hope it works out for you.

Old 07-22-2002, 10:47 AM   #14
jetblackz

"the only changes from the suggested posts above were the names of the partitions" - correct. It's for humans to read. /mnt/win_cxyz doesn't mean anything.

"a dvd player" - I just tried Xine and it worked with VCD. Awesome! But I prefer my standalone DVD player.

"I have not been able to download star office 5.2 - went thru download.com and came up with info that 5.2 was no longer available." - Ha, ironically, that site is the last place I go to. Download it with "Downloader for X" under Internet sub-menu. It's huge.

http://planetmirror.com/pub/staroffice/
http://look.linux.tucows.com/busines...982_34448.html

The U.S. locations crash my browser.

http://download.tucows.com/perl/Linu...982_34448.html

Bookmark these great mirrors.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/

http://www.distrowatch.com/

http://www.planetmirror.com/

"Downloaded open office, but the fonts and all text are s p a c e d l i k e t h i s w h i c h makes it very difficult to use." - I guess it's the font. I prefer StarOffice anyway.

"I think i will have to stay with mozilla mail." - Good for people coming from Wintels. I use KMail.

"I have had to <cringe> put win98 back on for the pro shots and fonesync software, until I can get wine configured." - You'll have a better chance with commerical software such as VMware.

http://www.vmware.com/products/desktop/ws_features.html

(FAQ):"What Types of Applications Can I Run?
VMware Workstation is the equivalent of a full PC, with full networking and devices, so you will be able to run any application that runs on the supported guest operating systems."

"I am wanting to fully migrate to linux..." - It's a long journey.

"The top of the list though is this right here, a huge support gtoup that is willing to teach others, and thank all of wou that have posted and are helping me get going in linux." - One of my reasons.

"on the pcmcia: the a simple technology smart media adapter p/n 61-242000010 and a sandisk 64mb smart media card. the laptop is a gateway 600ygr the camera is a fuji mx-1200" - Search at google.com

+linux +RedHat +sandisk +"smart media"

For example.

One thing: when you install Redhat, you can check "Individual packages...", click flat-view, scroll down to, like, Aria (resume-able downloader), and you'll have it installed, unlike the default. You might find openoffice in there. If it's after install, you can log in as root and go to K> System> Package Man. and search for like "Aria", click Install. Installed RPM packages will show up in K/Gnome menus. If you compile a tarball(.tar) by hand, the icon may not show up 99% of the time. You'd have to add it too.

You're welcome.

BruceCadieux - Do you know if I can get my PocketPC to sync with Linux?

Last edited by jetblackz; 07-22-2002 at 10:55 AM.

Old 07-24-2002, 06:14 AM   #15
cassady
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
ok, lets see where i am standing at so far...
The handspring sync thru usb to jpilot worked too well, that ended with me having the bright idea to go off on a tangent and start to dig into how to program apps for it thru liinux.

The MS partitiotions are read only after trying both fstab changes listed in the post, not sure about that one. I can read and write thru root, but no other users are able to do anything but read. I ws told to change the fstab vfat comment to dos to trick the bootup, but all that did was end up with the big red failed in the boot up

I was able to dlld star office and get that instald, working smoothly so far.

I downloaded vmware and i think instaled, just have to figure out how to get it configured, but there seems to be some good faq on it and on wine as well, so there should hopefully be not too many problems with that.

I downloaded ogle and i believe the correct other packages, but won't be able to have time to tinker with that for a day or so.

until my next post on this thread,

cassady