LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Networking > Linux - Wireless Networking
User Name
Password
Linux - Wireless Networking This forum is for the discussion of wireless networking in Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-30-2004, 10:30 PM   #1
sithyoda
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Bell sympatico noob on linuix Inter net

hi im trying to setup my internet connection (adsl) with linuix mandrake 10.0 i guess and anyways when i try and set it up it asks me for my isp problem is i live in canada and canada isnt listed on the list so i selected austria and filled in the other info username and password etc.. i just wanna know if im doing it right or am i gonna get a fat long distance phone bill
thanx bye

Old 10-01-2004, 07:33 AM   #2
dems
LQ Newbie

Distribution: RedHat, Mandrake, Gentoo

AFAIK, if your country is not listed on the internet setup, you cannot use the wizard to set it up. You'll have to enter the configuration manually...

Just curious, have you gotten your connection to work with the austria settings? I would think it wouldn't work...

Old 10-01-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
billtnor
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Debian

Cool ADSL is local only.

ADSL is a local protocol. Country profile is not that important.
Don't worry about long distance charges for it. Your signal
travels on the phone lines but is not a phone call.
ADSL only works if you are near the central office equipment.

You are likely connecting using the pppoe tool developed by another Sympatico user.
I am surprised Mandrake doesn't have Canada on the list,
but I don't think we are an important market for them.

Old 10-01-2004, 01:39 PM   #4
Robert G. Hays

Distribution: Gentoo, Mandrake, ~others

Rep: Reputation: 30
'not on the list' : **possible** suggestion : can you install another distro on maybe another (old, small?) disk just to find the Canada info?

OTOH, billtnor is probably right, if it's working, you probably don't need (or Want!) to fix it. (But watch the phone bill J.I.C.! -- billtnor being your fellow Canadian he probably knows what he is talking about For Your Situation.)

LOL,
robert

--------------------------------

billtnor : 'not important' : you oughtta be! -- I'm thinking of moving from SuSE to Mandrake myself, Mdk is getting more like the 'old' SuSE in including not only the kitchen sink, but the bathtub & plumbing, too!, which I like (*!!*), and SuSE looks like they're trying to ignore ATI, who is like only *T*H*E* company that has supported Linux from the outset; I'm annoyed. Seriously. Sincerely. Annoyed.
"Bottom Line" : you & I & acrors & a buncha other people should probably send emails (etc) to these distros to get them to fix these kind of things. (you know, offer to buy the new, FIXED, version, or else go to another distro if they won't fix 'em...)

robert.

Old 10-01-2004, 02:16 PM   #5
RizzON
LQ Newbie

I use sympatico adsl with a debian box. Don't use the sympatico connection tool, it asks you to do way to much work, editing text files, if you wanna go that root, its the the pap-secrets file. Or you could download 'pppoeconf' I don't know if there is a rpm for it or not but it works fine.

Oh yeah if you call bell don't tell them you're using linux. They'll just tell you it won't work.

Old 02-13-2006, 05:47 PM   #6
aclarke
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu, Debian

Unsuccessful so far with Debian/Sympatico

Hi RizzON. I realize this is a stale thread, but if you or someone else who knows is still here, could you explain to me how you got PPPoE working on Debian for Sympatico? I'll paste a long post I wrote on another forum. I've tried everything I can think of but can't get this working.

Thanks,
- Andrew.

Hi there. I'm trying to configure my debian-based firewall/router box to dial Sympatico's PPPoE. I've set my Speedstream 5200 DSL router to bridge mode, and apt-get installed ppp, pppoe, and pppoeconf and followed the directions at users.pandora.be/Asterisk-PBX/PPPoE.htm along with some extra settings found at service.sympatico.ca/index.cfm?method=content.view&category_id=99&content_id=1138 .

After running pppoeconf if I run ifconfig it shows that I have a ppp0 and eth0 set up. ppp0 has an IP which I assume is from Sympatico, although eth0 doesn't have an IP associated with it. I'm not sure if it's supposed to or not. plog also shows some information that makes me feel happy, like things are working, and /etc/resolv.conf is filled with information that sure looks like it came from Sympatico. However, I can't connect out to the internet.

After I reboot the computer, ifconfig shows neither eth0 or ppp0. There's no output from plog, and running etc/init.d/ppp start doesn't show any output either. Does anyone know what I'm missing here? I'll include versions of my files below.

Thank you very much for any help anyone can provide,
- Andrew.

---------------------------
/etc/ppp/peers/dsl-provider
---------------------------

# Minimalistic default options file for DSL/PPPoE connections
lock
noipdefault
holdoff 10
lcp-echo-failure 4 # Connection is timedout after 4 failed echo requests
lcp-echo-interval 30 # Send an lcp echo request every 30 secs.
mtu 1484 #required PPP transmit frame size for PPPoE to fit in 1500
mru 1484 #required PPP receive frame size for PPPoE to fit in 1500
receive-all #permits some flexabililty in converting ethernet frames
noaccomp #RFC-2516 MUST NOT ask for ACFC
defaultroute
replacedefaultroute
hide-password
noauth
persist
usepeerdns
plugin rp-pppoe.so eth0
user "b1xxxxxx@sympatico.ca"
noipx
novj
novjccomp

----------------
/etc/resolv.conf
----------------

nameserver 206.47.244.108
nameserver 206.47.244.15
search no-domain-set.bellcanada

-----------------------
/etc/network/interfaces
-----------------------

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
# and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
# The loopback network interface

auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

auto eth1
iface eth1 inet static
address 192.168.1.1
netmask 255.255.255.0

auto dsl-provider
iface dsl-provider inet ppp
provider dsl-provider

auto eth0
iface eth0 inet manual