LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linare
User Name
Password
Linare This forum is for the discussion of Linare Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 08-24-2004, 09:34 AM   #1
jeremy
root

Distribution: Debian, Red Hat, Slackware, Fedora, Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083Reputation: 4083
Welcome to the Linare Linux forum

This forum is for the discussion of Linare Linux.

--jeremy

Old 08-25-2004, 02:33 AM   #2
linareuser
Linare

Rep: Reputation: 15
I welcome everyone to this forum .
The screenshots of Linare Linux is available at the following link :

http://www.linare.com/screenshots.php

Old 09-02-2004, 03:20 PM   #3
a_m_flash

Distribution: SUSE 9.1 personal, Yoper (1.0 & 2.*), Knoppix 3.6, Knoppix STD, Helix 1.4, Lycoris 1.3 (Amethyst)

This is great!!! I love the way it looks. But when I went to the website I was disappointed that they did not offer an ISO download. Even SUSE offers the personal edition.
But to have this would be awesome.
Linux is getting to be a better substitute for windoze and if we keep this up, we'll have another booming economy.

Old 09-02-2004, 05:02 PM   #4
bmfmyth

Distribution: RedHat 9

looks just like a clone of winxp

Old 09-02-2004, 05:19 PM   #5
Peluso
LQ Newbie

Distribution: slack 10 / 2.4.xx

Rep: Reputation: 0
Well, that it looks like windows is pure psychological to attract the normal desktop users

People are used to the looks of windows
with the windows xp skins people dont see much (visually) of the difference between linux and windows anymore... that makes it easier for them to make the step to linux

linare is looking good and yes too bad they dont offer a download :S

but then again, 40 US dollar is not much (if they dont charge shipping and all)....

Old 09-02-2004, 05:41 PM   #6
bmfmyth

dumb though since , i went to linux to get away from the retardedness of windows

Old 09-02-2004, 08:19 PM   #7
a_m_flash

Distribution: SUSE 9.1 personal, Yoper (1.0 & 2.*), Knoppix 3.6, Knoppix STD, Helix 1.4, Lycoris 1.3 (Amethyst)

You ever heard the saying "Dont knock it 'till you try it?"
Well, in this instance it would apply. Looks aren't everything. It may look like Windoze (hardly), but it sure wouldnt act like Windoze.
Linux can not act retarded, albeit, some distros are poorly put together, but if we can get Linux to look appealing to "outsiders" then the flow of people coming to open-source would be wide spread.
Linux still has its commands to input , I thought I fell in LOVE with SUSE 9.1 because it "looked" clean and better than Windoze until Linare came along.
I for one can not understand commands but the software that comes with Linux I sure use them, thanks to the people that understand commands and put together the software for me
Looks like the narrow path to Linux needs to undergo construction.
Oh, I am still dual booting but if I can get my hands on Linare... it'll change everything.

Throughout my experience in computers Linux came a long ways. What we are seeing is pure potential still. Keep going developers!

Old 09-02-2004, 08:59 PM   #8
a_m_flash

Still no ISO yet? Man, how long do I have to wait?

Old 09-02-2004, 09:58 PM   #9
spoody_goon

Distribution: Mandrake, DamnSmallLinux, VectorLinux

Rep: Reputation: 30
I like it, but I agree that there should be an ISO for download even if it is the basics of the distro. I feel that Linux should not free as a rule, but with out a sample I have no need to try it. I have my favorite distros that I tried for free and then donated to.

Old 09-02-2004, 11:10 PM   #10
derfaust

Distribution: slack 9.1, 10, and 10.2

it does look nice....and it is not windows...it is linux.....and besides that it is just a desktop solution....you can choose others...that is the beauty of it....i am more curious about its file system layout........and if it has some nice package tools....

rock!!!!!!

Last edited by derfaust; 09-02-2004 at 11:12 PM.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:18 AM   #11
bmfmyth

@ a_m_flash

Ya i don't think i'm going to try it. As I read there is no iso for it, and i'm not paying money for a clone of windows

Last edited by bmfmyth; 09-03-2004 at 10:22 AM.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:27 AM   #12
derfaust

Distribution: slack 9.1, 10, and 10.2

isn't everything we use on computers these days a clone of something else?....i mean if we want to get picky we could say that linux is a clone of Unix....or that a toyota is a clone a chevy....or that ASUS motherboards are clones of Abit motherboards(or vice-versa)....or that the macintosh desktop is a clone of xerox's system.... and if the company is quality why not spend a few bucks so that better things can happen for the linux community. i mean sure you can freely download almost any linux distro, but these guys need our support....kinda like National Public Radio or PBS.....this kind of support is good for the community in whole.....ya know???....but they should allow some ISO downloads....to see if it is worth it....

dig

Last edited by derfaust; 09-03-2004 at 11:28 AM.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:45 AM   #13
hippias
LQ Newbie

Distribution: SuSE 9.1 Pro, RH9, Mandrake 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Why is there no discussion on linare's site about what kernel it uses? Call me crazy, but it would seem a lot of information is lacking. I, too, like the look. I think it's good to keep from intimidating MS users with a look they're familiar with.

Old 09-03-2004, 11:56 AM   #14
bmfmyth

cut and simple i'm not going to support this distro myself

Hate fisher price look of MS xp, and don't want to use a linux distro that's cloneing that look, to migrate some windows users. But think of this I really doubt and windows users are going to happen apon their web-site and if there isn't a display machine that they can test out at wal-mart I really doubt they will spend the money on the machine.

Plus it's a false sense of security that they are showen. The windows users still need to learn command line, and everything else related with linux OS.

isn't unix just command line and text?, and linux brought a gui/ desktop onto the kernel? I could be wrong on that though don't quote me.

Old 09-03-2004, 10:40 PM   #15
neranjana

Distribution: Mandrake

Hi

Linare looks nice. It's good to know that there are more companies getting in to Linux desktop business. Keep up the good work.

Thanks

Neranjana

PS. I wish more companies would start selling notebook computers with Linux pre installed.