LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Mandriva
User Name
Password
Mandriva This Forum is for the discussion of Mandriva (Mandrake) Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-21-2004, 10:31 AM   #1
Ausar

Distribution: None right now. Will be using Mandrake 10.1 Official.

Rep: Reputation: 30
I need help getting my iPod to work in Mandrake 10.0 Official...

Hello guys, it's me again. I am using Mandrake 10.0 Official and I want to use my iPod in Linux since my Windoze is screwed. I downloaded GNUPOD but I don't know what to do with the file. I have never used "make" or compile so I don't know how to do that. I have read the readme files and googled this for about 5 hours (in the 6th hour now :- ( ). Also, I know questions similar to this ha sbeen asked but I couldn't get the specifics that I needed from those threads. Any Ipod on linux vets know what I am supposed to do? Please help, any help is greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, BTW, I was at Border's yesterday and I saw a Mandrake 10.0 Powerpack boxed set so I bought it for $84.00. I really bought it for the manuals and extra cds. It came with 6 cds, is this version any different fhan the downloadable official version?

Last edited by Ausar; 06-21-2004 at 11:03 AM.

Old 06-21-2004, 04:09 PM   #2
Ausar

Original Poster
Okay guys, I will mention all that I have searched so far. Google keywords I have tried: ipod on linux, linux ipod, help putting ipod on linux, linux ipod (found out you can put linux on ipod with that one), mounting ipod in linux. Thorugh those links, I found, gtkpod, gnupod, ephpod through wine, and a few other gui's for gnupod. I downloaded gnupod but don't know how to install it. Or where it went, I specified for it to go to the desktop but when I downloaded it, it installed it but I can't find the app with the search or by looking through my files. Things I have searched in this forums search feature regarding my question. Ipod, ipod on linux, linux ipod. Through those, I got at least 5 pages of search results with ipod having the most, and about 8 of those threads I found little bits of info that helped me here and there. But overall, I couldn't find specific info on my problem. I don't want to be a redundant question asker but I really do need the help. Thanx in advance guys.

Old 07-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #3
Ausar

Original Poster
Anyone? I really need my ipod to work in Linux...

Old 07-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #4
Ausar

Original Poster
When I try these codes, I get errors saying "*** No rule to make target `install'. Stop." I don't know what I am doing wrong... Can someone explain to me how to do what this code instructs in laymen's terms? Thanx in advance.

3.1 Installation of GNUpod

The installation of GNUpod is very simple:

tar -xzvf gnupod-tools-VERSION.tar.gz
cd gnupod-tools/
./configure
make install

Old 07-06-2004, 01:28 AM   #5
AndyX
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1 / 9.2 / 10.0

Rep: Reputation: 0
Hi!

I've got an iPod, too - and the only things that make me boot Windows is the iPod and computer games.
Unfortunatly I can't provide any more help, except that you might want to take a look at another program if GNUpod continually comes up with errors.

You might want to check out Google with "iPod on Linux" or maybe find some other way here: http://neuron.com/~jason/ipod.html

Sorry that I don't have any more to offer

Good Luck!
AndyX

Old 07-06-2004, 01:39 AM   #6
AndyX
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 9.1 / 9.2 / 10.0

After some googl'ing I've found a few hints.

First - logon as root and process the lines you mentioned again (this is done by logging on as root or, if you are already logged on as a normal user, issuing the command su followed by Enter and then the password).
Maybe this helps.

And there is even _another_ chance to get GNUpod running.
I've run a search on "gnupod" at http://www.rpmfind.net ( http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...mit=Search+... ).
There are packages for Mandrake available. RPMs are "point-and-click" installations.
Just download and doubleclick - then you get prompted for your root password. Enter it an you are done.

Good Luck!
AndyX

Old 07-08-2004, 06:31 PM   #7
dolphans1

Distribution: Mandriva & Ubuntu

Rep: Reputation: 34
Hey Guys,

I read in the USA Today publication that our politicians are attempting to outlaw ipods, which I personally feel its a joke. It's all about controling pricing in the music industry.

d-1

Quote:
Originally posted by AndyX
After some googl'ing I've found a few hints.

First - logon as root and process the lines you mentioned again (this is done by logging on as root or, if you are already logged on as a normal user, issuing the command su followed by Enter and then the password).
Maybe this helps.

And there is even _another_ chance to get GNUpod running.
I've run a search on "gnupod" at http://www.rpmfind.net ( http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...mit=Search+... ).
There are packages for Mandrake available. RPMs are "point-and-click" installations.
Just download and doubleclick - then you get prompted for your root password. Enter it an you are done.

Good Luck!
AndyX

Old 07-11-2004, 11:59 AM   #8
Ausar

Original Poster
Guys, I really appreciate all your help. I actually got frustrated with gnupod and installed GTKpod. Now, I just need to figure out how to mount it. If anyone knows how to do this, cab you please explain it step by step in here? Thanx in advance, any info is greatly appreciated. BTW, ive got GTKpod installed correctly, just need to know how to mount the iPod.

Old 07-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #9
TravisOSF

Distribution: Fedora 8, RHEL 3,4,5, Ubuntu 8.04

^having the same issues. it sees the ipod when i look at the logs, but i cannot mount it for the life of me!

Old 07-23-2004, 06:45 PM   #10
BillRandolph
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Mandrake 10

Did you get your iPod working?

I just got an iPod and am using Mandrake 10 to try to get it working. I'm having issues with both gtkpod and gnupod. Have you had any luck?