LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Hardware
User Name
Password
Linux - Hardware This forum is for Hardware issues.
Having trouble installing a piece of hardware? Want to know if that peripheral is compatible with Linux?

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2004, 11:48 PM   #1
zack3g
LQ Newbie

Distribution: Ubuntu Mate on a MSI Laptop

Rep: Reputation: 15
Insmod error on boot, looking for floppy that doesn't exist.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron 5100, Distro : MDK 10.0 official, kernel 2.4.22 . On boot, I get an insmod error , and after digging through dmesg several times I have determined that it is trying to load a module for a floppy drive that doesn't exist. Or at least, thats what I think it is doing. I've checked modules.conf and it isn't called for there. Where else would I go to stop the boot process from asking for something that isn't there?

Also, a similar issue with my onboard ethernet card. I have it disabled in the BIOS because I have no real use for it, but yet it's still being picked up by the boot process. It doesn't do anything other than give me yet another insmod error. Same question as before, how can I stop this?

Sorry for the silly questions, but I am quite new to mandrake, and haven't actively used linux in several years. I am trying to relearn everything. See dmesg snippet below, highlighting the problem.

<dmesg snippet>
[drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0 20020828 on minor 0
inserting floppy driver for 2.4.22-10mdk
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
</dmesg snippet>

Old 05-17-2004, 06:30 AM   #2
finegan
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 65
Probably hotplugging... I suspect that its built into hotplugging to always try and load the floppy driver... the bios call that disables the NIC probably is getting ignored. There should be a file called:

/etc/hotplug/blacklist

Add the module names there, one per line (there'll be a bunch in there for examples), and on restart hotplug should try and load the driver.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 05-17-2004, 11:05 PM   #3
zack3g
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Nice idea, but nope, didn't work. I dunno what is causing this, but I did what you said and stumbled onto a few other things and tried those as well, still getting the insmod error.. bah.. it isnt causing any negative performance issues, i just hate error messages.

Old 05-18-2004, 09:00 AM   #4
finegan
LQ Guru

Recompile, don't want to support it? Don't even put it in your kernel... fun, great learning, easy to walk away from, and makes the machine more efficient!

Might want to see if Mandy is hammering it in manually:

cd /etc/
grep -rinse floppy *

That'll probably bring back a lot, but if you see something that says: modprobe floppy, comment that sucker out!

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 05-19-2004, 09:24 PM   #5
zack3g
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Recompile would be a great option. But, I have HORRIBLE luck when it comes to recompiling. My configs are flawless, everything works..but then all of a sudden the computer just up and dies. I dunno what it is, but it's happened with every distro, and every kernel release i've tried to compile, be it 2.4 or 2.6.. although, 2.6 still strikes me as being trash. I'd prefer to stick with the bone stock/slightly modified version for now, until I get more experience under the hood.

Old 05-19-2004, 11:25 PM   #6
finegan
LQ Guru

rm the module from /lib/modules/blah, re-run depmod -a

ghettoriffic, but it'll work...

Don't knock 2.6 man, I finally bit the bullet (by force of an annoying raid + xfs 2.4 bug) and switched my primary web/mail/everything server over to it, haven't looked back since.

Cheers,

Finegan

Old 05-20-2004, 08:07 AM   #7
motub

Distribution: Gentoo (main); SuSE 9.3 (fallback)

Rep: Reputation: 46
Quote:
inserting floppy driver for 2.4.22-10mdk
floppy0: no floppy controllers found
OK, I recognize that this is annoying, but let's look at it from another angle.... who cares?

Mandrake wants to mount a floppy, it looks and says "hey, I can't find a floppy controller to mount any floppy drives," and then goes on with its existence, happily mounting the CD-ROM drive, and presumably booting normally.

As noted, this could be easily solved by recompiling the kernel without floppy support, or with somewhat more difficulty by researching where Mandrake is trying to insert the module and finding where you can tell it not to do that, and changing your settings, but since you don't want to do the one (due to your kernel compiling jinx) and the other is something of a PITA, is there some reason that you can't just ignore this non-critical error and focus on more interesting/important/pertinent issues involved with configuring your computer so you can use it for whatever you use your computer for?

Or am I mistaken about this being is a non-critical error? If so, then ignore me. But really, there comes a point where this kind of tweaking just becomes a wasteful exercise in frustrating yourself for no reason, justifiying the complaints of Windows migrators that Linux users tweak just to tweak. It's an addiction. Seek help .

Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 AM   #8
zack3g
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Motub:

Yes, it is a non critical error. Yes, I tweak to tweak. No, this error does not in any way cause me any physical pain. It's just the fact that it is there, and it annoys me. I want it to go away. It doesn't affect the function of the system at all, it's just not very pretty when it boots. All those pretty colors, and then BAM error :-/ . I am what you might call an enthusiast, but I'm also a bit of a perfectionist. I want it to work the best way that it possibly can. Which, is exactly what it is doing. I have no problems with the function...it's just...that error....

Old 05-20-2004, 10:52 AM   #9
motub

Distribution: Gentoo (main); SuSE 9.3 (fallback)

Rep: Reputation: 46
OK. It's your PC, after all, and I can get like that, too. I was just saying-- because we perfectionist-types can get caught up in these minor details without noticing, and while we're tweaking away at this tiny little annoyance that keeps everything from being completely perfect, time is passing and whatever work or play we are actually meant to be doing on the machine as a whole goes undone. New or newly returning users sometimes don't realize that non-critical errors are just that (and many simple informational warnings are given as non-critical errors, too), so I just wanted to put in a vote for having some perspective on the matter.

Having rejected the perspective vote , I really think that you'd have to recompile the kernel to stop the HW detection looking for a floppy controller, because it's always going to look, otherwise. I mean, yeah, it seems to not be upset that it doesn't find anything, but you're trying to stop it looking in the first place, and I don't think that there's any way to do that other than removing all knowledge of floppy controllers from the brains of the operation.

Or, of course, you could enable the bootsplash, and then you'd never see the error, only the pretty picture and progress bar....

Last edited by motub; 05-20-2004 at 10:53 AM.

Old 05-20-2004, 07:48 PM   #10
zack3g
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Motub:

I appreciate the input. I just need to make one thing clear. The work/play that you referred to, for me it is tweaking the system. I use linux for exactly that reason. If I see something I don't like I have the ability to change it. I use it to do all of my daily tasks, and if I run into something that annoys me, I have the power to make it go away. Or, on the opposite end, if I think I need something added to it, I can slip it right in there rather seamlessly, in most cases. I can live with the floppy error for now, until I feel comfortable enough to try and recompile the kernel again. Last time I tried that, well, everything started okay, but then all of a sudden it just wouldn't turn the screen on. Dunno what caused that. Went back to the default, everything works fine. :-P