LinuxQuestions.org
Visit Jeremy's Blog.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-20-2004, 06:09 PM   #1
Optyx

Distribution: Slackware 6

Rep: Reputation: 15
Install Cd problem 9.1

G'day folk's.
Yesty i went n baught miself a copy of Slakware 9.1 to throw over mi redhat 9.0 distro.
In the process of trying to install this ass of thing wich i could barely figure out anyway, the CDROM decided to shit its self and make the installation impossible- furthermore if i try to keep going with the install the installer thinks it has finished and it keeps taking me to the configuration screen.

It says it dosent find the CDROM yet it uses one to boot from?

Last edited by Optyx; 01-20-2004 at 07:52 PM.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:47 PM   #2
Greyweather

Distribution: Ubuntu 4.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
If there is an error during the installation in Slackware I think you need to start over. I don't think it can resume a failed installation.

Old 01-20-2004, 07:49 PM   #3
Optyx

Original Poster
Ok i have posted that there is an error, sure, i have posted why it was made, sure, and i dont have the knowledge to resume the setup through command even if it was possible, but as thankfull as i am you replied, it dosent resolve the Cd problem.

Any answers?.

Old 01-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #4
Greyweather

Distribution: Ubuntu 4.10

Rep: Reputation: 30
Were you on the first or second cd when it "shit itself"?

Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #5
Nis

Distribution: Ubuntu Hoary (5.04)

Rep: Reputation: 31
Furthermore, were any errors output during the install? You say setup reports that it cannot find a CD-ROM drive. Are you using a SCSI drive?

Old 01-20-2004, 08:43 PM   #6
shepper

Distribution: OpenBSD, Debian Wheezy/Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 33
The installation process starts with loading a kernel and some tools that use the installation kernel to install Slackware to your HD. If the installation kernel does not support your particular CDrom it won't intall.

There are several options that are described in the installation.txt files on the CD. Try mounting the Slackware CD in Redhat and using your file manager to browse the Slackware CD for specifics.

Basically you can try to boot from floppies and pass the cdrom to the boot kernel, install from NFS, install from a MSDos partition or change out your cdrom.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:16 AM   #7
Optyx

Original Poster
I do have a DVD/CD drive here that i only just recently had to take out to install redhat 9.0 (this is becoming a joke) How is it that one of the key features is hardware support when it comes to linux in general yet i find my self swapping cd drives and ethernet cards because usb wont work with our specific modem etc?

I really want to install slackware lol im sooo eager, we have pretty much enough main ditros to kick of with what it is i want to but i feel that slackware if the OS i need to grasp to get to know linux/unix better, my uncle who has his csse/mcse/rhcse and quite a few others in novell and others said to me "The best way benno -is to throw yourself in the deep end, if you wanna learn linux, dont instal a gui, learn the command line and get used to a black and white screen, then work your way up from there, that way when you use the gui- you know why things work, and how they work in the background- otherwise your knowledge is fluff:".

He said that to me yesterday, im still going to install kde with slackware (or w/e it is it comes with" but i will be utelising the command line more so because i know i have the will power to resist the gui.

But first, this cd problem- how is it -it may not be supported(the cd rom) yet it boots up from it and reads its packages but then fails- and no to answer your question it does not get to the second cd install, it dosent actually install anything at all, the only thing i actually do configuration wise is set up the network and that wich is the first few things tht you are prompted to do in the cd.

Then when it comes to installing etc it quickly goes to do somthing then said "It is now time to configure your os" or somthing like that (wich is what happens after the install" o because it dosent read the cd it just pressumes i have installed and goes to the second stage (i think/assume).

As a word of boast, i am know the owner of
Vector 4.0/Slackware 9.1/Redhat 9.0/Mandrake 9.2/Damn small linux/Slax/Knoppix.

Now- getting to know them ?????

Old 01-21-2004, 06:33 AM   #8
shepper

Distribution: OpenBSD, Debian Wheezy/Jessie

Rep: Reputation: 33
One thing that impacts how well linux works with a particular device is how well the manufacturer of the device supports linux. An example that I am familiar with deals with modems

1) External serial port modems are the defacto standard. Linux just has to recognize the
serial port for them to work

2) Win modems need drivers
a) Agere/Lucent supplies linux developers the core driver for their modems.
and the drivers are free on the internet..
b) Conexant charges a linux developer for the core driver and he in turn
charges for the full driver (56K + Fax) The crippled driver (14K) is free
c) Smartlink writes their own drivers but the care driver is propriatary
d) PCtel does not support linux at all. The only driver out there is one that has
been hacked by a developer who does not have any guidance from PCtel

As you can imagine Agere/Lucent, Smartlink and Conexant modem drivers work well
The PCtel modem tends to conflict with with sound drivers on certain systems.

The basic point is that choosing your hardware carefully can make linux easy. I also think that we vote with our money. Buying something from a manufacture that is indifferent to linux sends the wrong message.

That being said, linux users are always up to a challenge and usually can work around things:
Here is a link on how to make slackware boot and installation floppies and how to pass the cdrom location to the installation kernel

The BOOTING.TXT from a Slackware install disk

More Info on a CDroms and starting install from Floppies

Your lucky your uncle is well versed in unix. I'll bet he can help you get slackin

Old 01-21-2004, 07:33 PM   #9
Tinkster

Distribution: slackware by choice, others too :} ... android.

Rep: Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928Reputation: 928
How about a little more info about the system, and
why you think you have to swap CD and DVD-drives
around and such? :)

Cheers,
Tink