LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Linux From Scratch
User Name
Password
Linux From Scratch This Forum is for the discussion of LFS.
LFS is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 02-02-2023, 04:22 PM   #1
xlfs-0.2

Rep: Reputation: 44
Is Google (android and chrome?) really built from source ?

My question is simply: Can (chrome OS) be built from scratch or is Google keeping that private? Can Android be built from scratch by (say LFS) (n.i. chinese bins) or does it required Ubuntu (and any src builds fail on ubu incl. andy - i google'ed it)?

So I was "hoping" google Android can be built - ie i make my own Android and upload it to my phone (and after you stop laughing...). I was actually hoping to run it as my unix desktop also - like android x86 is "planning" but not done with yet (it works only with certain laptops).

I looked in Google's build directory (i tried DL'ing by instructions: i was blocked by google server from downloads and found forums admitting it was doing that). Another hold back: google drive req's "go" and is binary only. But i don't run binaries that "don't build" off microsoft GITHUB - so i cannot buy google drive space. (maybe i should)

I saw a large folder: some things were built - many things were mystery bins uploaded by (chinese?) mfg. Many "projects" were binary from source builds already built uploaded from (idk - maybe ubu) - not built by google actually.

I saw complaints that "Android build failed" not news of INDIE programmers building it though.

I ASSUME seeing it all "ubu is required to build android", that google doesn't have it's own OS per say. And LFS cannot build chrome desktop (x86 android) from scratch. And that even google isn't actually fully building it's own releases in large? And probably use bleh - emulators for x86 running in X.

But that is the question.

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-02-2023 at 04:49 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 04:26 PM   #2
xlfs-0.2

Original Poster
(deleted X11 v. Android standards and consumerism discussion)

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-02-2023 at 04:50 PM.

Old 02-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #3
rokytnji
LQ Veteran

Distribution: antiX 23, MX 23

Rep: Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474Reputation: 3474
Well for starters. They dropped 32 bit support. Only 64 bit builds are supported.

As far as I know. Chromium OS has instructions

https://www.chromium.org/developers/...ions-chromeos/

https://chromium.googlesource.com/ch...loper_guide.md

All I can do is wish ya good luck,
I'm wondering if you are going to be the next riscos type of developer since I own a chromeos chromebook.
I don't have ext file support on it. I was not asked either.
Some camera exfat cards won't load on my chromebook either.

Code:
File system type 'exfat' on device '/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.0/usb2/2-1/2-1.4/2-1.4:1.0/host17/target17:0:0/17:0:0:0/block/sdb/sdb1' is not supported

Old 02-03-2023, 02:36 AM   #4
xlfs-0.2

Original Poster
thank you. yes the repo command was blocked. maybe it's fixed there are many changes since a year ago and i'm on a newer platform and have ubu somewhere on some gpt before i didn't. i may not have enough GB memory to do it though.

it's a long-ish howto, though platforms have to be considered (before/ubu, what platform, how to get img on what platform).

if and what linux runs in the resulting build is ... "a very long howto" (it is not circular - it doesn't rebuild itself by design)

if and what is "uploaded during build" and what is actually built from source - idk. would have to try and see.

i'm learning though.

Last edited by xlfs-0.2; 02-03-2023 at 02:42 AM.