LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 12-12-2022, 07:17 PM   #1
linux-man

Distribution: native install of Parrot Home Edition 5.0 Debian (no security tools) 64 bit, KDE, 5.14.0-9parrot1,

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
OBS playing up after sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade

The record button indicates it's recording however after pressing stop recording I don't see the mkv file where the OBS output says the file should be. It was working fine before sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade. It appears this is a common occurence for programs to go awire after sudo apt update sudo apt upgrade. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-13-2022, 06:55 PM   #2
xlfs-0.2

Rep: Reputation: 44
You should have read about failures and complaints before upgrading: google shows that this is a common issue - that things break during upgrade in most linux distros.

(fresh installs are said by the maintainers to be preffered, but also rip you of all your configuration efforts so far. that is true with "these kinds of systems")

So if you need this OBS badly you should have a back and restore it, or you'll have to trace the software issue, post error logs here.

Old 12-14-2022, 11:35 PM   #3
linux-man

Distribution: native install of Parrot Home Edition 5.0 Debian (no security tools) 64 bit, KDE, 5.14.0-9parrot1,

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlfs-0.2 View Post
You should have read about failures and complaints before upgrading: google shows that this is a common issue - that things break during upgrade in most linux distros.
I only upgraded my os because I felt obligated and pressured to here on LQ, in order to download Shotcut editor, I did the upgrade reluctantly. I had a feeling something like this would happen.

Quote:
fresh installs are said by the maintainers to be preffered, but also rip you of all your configuration efforts so far. that is true with "these kinds of systems)
What is your definition of fresh install? Are you referring to operating system?

Quote:
So if you need this OBS badly you should have a back and restore it, or you'll have to trace the software issue, post error logs here.
I don't have back ups of OBS. How do I trace the software issue? Where do I start? Thanks

Old 12-21-2022, 01:32 AM   #4
linux-man

Original Poster
Quote:
(fresh installs are said by the maintainers to be preffered, ...
I uninstalled it with synaptic, then installed and the problem persists i.e. records button indicates it records, but no evidence of it afterwards in output directory.

Quote:
So if you need this OBS badly you should have a back and restore it, ...
Debian has inbuilt 'system restore' like in windows?

Old 12-25-2022, 11:34 PM   #5
linux-man

Original Poster
Uninstalling and then reinstalling does not necessarily remove settings for any application on linux unless you remove something in personal profiles or in about profiles first? If I did that would that get OBS back to normal?

Last edited by linux-man; 12-26-2022 at 02:22 AM.