LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2022, 10:43 AM   #1
lattimro

Distribution: SOLARIS/BSD-like, some Debian-like, some Arch-like, some GENTO-like, some RH-like, some slacky-like

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How to retrive mail from nobody

Hi everyone,

I reconfigured (badly) postfix because FQDN changed (fixed now) and all root emails temporarily were sent to nobody account '/var/mail/nobody'

Now I have a chunk of emails and I do not know if it is a way to retrieve then to root. The /etc/aliases has the relevant entries:
Code:
nobody: root
postfix: root
postmaster: root
and newaliases updated the db.

I am thinking of a command to let MDA to move all the emails from nobody to root. This is not about postqueue!

I switched MTA to sendmail/exim4 but no success obviously

Thanks a lot!

Last edited by lattimro; 05-21-2022 at 06:40 AM.

Old 05-18-2022, 06:27 AM   #2
business_kid
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Slarm64 & Android

Rep: Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322Reputation: 2322
As a quick answer to that: A mbox is text, so you can probably do a sed command to change the 'nobody' or open the mail box as root
Code:
mutt -f /var/mail/root
and forward them appropriately.

There's plenty of guides out there. If you sense you're going down in flames, follow one of the less incomprehensible ones.