LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 05-16-2022, 10:04 AM   #1
pjsicon
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: 0
Question Introduction and Question how to load Slax onto a pc

I have an old pc with dvd drive usb ports and need to know how to load .iso onto usb drive to load on pc? This is an ASUS pc. Or load .iso onto pc itself and use downloaded image to load linux os?

Old 05-16-2022, 10:38 AM   #2
elcore

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I'm going to assume this is a "how can typical windows user try linux fast" type of question.
Lots of reading ahead:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtualbox
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vmware_player
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemon_Tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rufus_(software)

Old 05-16-2022, 11:25 AM   #3
boughtonp

Distribution: Debian

Rep: Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546Reputation: 2546

Is there a reason you're looking at Slax in particular? (Not saying there's anything wrong, just it's not a common choice.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjsicon View Post
I have an old pc...
AntiX is a popular choice. Distrowatch lists others.

Quote:
...how to load .iso onto usb drive to load on pc?
Ventoy is a super easy-to-use tool that reformats a USB drive then allows you to just copy bootable ISOs onto it.

Quote:
Or load .iso onto pc itself and use downloaded image to load linux os?
In addition to links in previous post, consider QEMU/KVM.

Last edited by boughtonp; 05-16-2022 at 11:28 AM.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:58 PM   #4
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489Reputation: 2489
What operating system are you using on your old pc? If any. What OS will you use to create the bootable iso on a flash drive? Try an online search for 'create bootable linux iso from windows', if you are using windows.

Ventoy is one, mentioned above, rufus, unetbootin. Balena Etcher, Universal USB installer and others.

Quote:
Or load .iso onto pc itself and use downloaded image to load linux os?
You can do that using virtual software such as VirtualBox, VMWare, etc.
You can also boot an iso or an extracted iso from a partition on disk but only if you have a version of the Linux Grub bootloader. I'm not aware of any way to do this on windows. You don't mention which OS you will be using??

Old 05-16-2022, 01:28 PM   #5
Rickkkk

Distribution: Arch, AntiX, ArtiX

Rep: Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511Reputation: 511
Hi pjsicon,

Welcome to LinuxQuestions.

Lots of good suggestions and comments above already ... I am curious as to the age of your PC ... It it's REALLY old, you may have trouble booting from USB. In cases like this, a tool like PLOP burned to an optical disk (CD is fine) can help. Or just burn your ISO to a DVD. Also, however, if it's REALLY old (again), recent versions of many distros may no longer support other components of the hardware.

I also second the recommendation of AntiX for old hardware. I used to use Arch on my oldest, 15-year-old laptop (Arch is my distro of choice), but it is so old that recent versions of the kernel and especially the "weight" of systemd made it unpleasant to use. Since early this year, I've been on AntiX 21, using the 4.x linux kernel option. It made a big difference. Among other reasons, AntiX doesn't use systemd and is pre-configured to use lightweight window managers instead of full-blown desktop environments. I recommend it.

Hope that helps - feel free to ask for further assistance.

Rick