LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - General
User Name
Password
Linux - General This Linux forum is for general Linux questions and discussion.
If it is Linux Related and doesn't seem to fit in any other forum then this is the place.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-25-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
That Random Guy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
How can single internal authoritative dns resolve external names?

I've been looking at different resources/literature for bind and DNS in general and I do not understand a particular setup for DNS.

In my case, I'm trying to understand how an authoritative name server which is a primary for a zone and is internal can resolve external names?

I know there are likely tons of things that can impact how this can be answered but let's assume this entity does not have a DMZ. By extension, we can also leave out any split DNS kind of solution. Let's also assume we're using BIND for this DNS and leave out any dependencies on supporting Windows. Let's imagine only a firewall and a gateway going to the Internet. In other words, it is a screened firewall kind of setup and nothing more. The authoritative name server serves an internal local domain/zone inside for the private networks/hosts internally that are in scope. It is the master for this zone.

Based on the stuff I've read so far, the best practice seems to be that authoritative servers are not to be caching servers and are not to allow recursive queries.

From what I understand about DNS, a server needs to be recursive to allow for external names to be resolved or otherwise needs to supply a server that can resolve the query (in other words, a resolver).

Going by this logic, and trying to meet that particular best practice with this very finicky imaginary setup, would the configuration on the authoritative server require a forwarder to an ISP resolver to be specified for internal clients to be able to resolve external names or is that not the correct solution in this case? Is this a limitation in bind or DNS in general?

Old 09-26-2021, 11:30 AM   #2
wpeckham
LQ Guru

Distribution: Debian, Ubuntu, RedHat, DSL, Puppy, CentOS, Knoppix, Mint-DE, Sparky, VSIDO, tinycore, Q4OS,Manjaro

Rep: Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691Reputation: 2691
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Random Guy View Post
I've been looking at different resources/literature for bind and DNS in general and I do not understand a particular setup for DNS.

In my case, I'm trying to understand how an authoritative name server which is a primary for a zone and is internal can resolve external names?

I know there are likely tons of things that can impact how this can be answered but let's assume this entity does not have a DMZ. By extension, we can also leave out any split DNS kind of solution. Let's also assume we're using BIND for this DNS and leave out any dependencies on supporting Windows. Let's imagine only a firewall and a gateway going to the Internet. In other words, it is a screened firewall kind of setup and nothing more. The authoritative name server serves an internal local domain/zone inside for the private networks/hosts internally that are in scope. It is the master for this zone.

Based on the stuff I've read so far, the best practice seems to be that authoritative servers are not to be caching servers and are not to allow recursive queries.

From what I understand about DNS, a server needs to be recursive to allow for external names to be resolved or otherwise needs to supply a server that can resolve the query (in other words, a resolver).

Going by this logic, and trying to meet that particular best practice with this very finicky imaginary setup, would the configuration on the authoritative server require a forwarder to an ISP resolver to be specified for internal clients to be able to resolve external names or is that not the correct solution in this case? Is this a limitation in bind or DNS in general?
DNS is something like a heirarchical database system. Each node that is NOT authoritative has one or more parent nameservers from which it can request lookups. Every one that IS authoritative has a zone for which it is the ultimate authority, and for everything else it has one or more parent nameservers from which it can request lookups. A lookup parses the tree until it either finds the authoritative nameserver for that zone, or a nameserver that has cached record for that specific lookup that have not times out. (TTL has not expired, so it is recent). Once the lookup is satisfied the answer traverses the tress back to the originating node and it gets the answer.

Your Bind server is only authoritative for that local zone, it forwards any queries outside that zone that it has not the records for to a higher authority. Generally (not always) the higher authority may be the ISP nameservers.