LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-03-2021, 10:25 PM   #1
Gordie

Distribution: Slackware64-Current

Rep: Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364Reputation: 364
Logitech wireless mouse problem when using Thuderbird

I run a new Logiitech M317 wireless mouse. In any program or application there appears to be no problem *except* the Thunderbird email program.

The scroll wheel is very fast and combined with my Parkinson's Disease it is close to unmanagable for me when using Thunderbird and only when using Thunderbird. For some reason the mouse speed setting acts differently when using Thunderbird. I use the supplied drivers that Slackware64-current comes with. The mouse I just replaced showed the very same behaviour.

EDIT #2 - Just changed to my wife's Logitech M325 wireless mouse and it shows the exact same behaviour.

EDIT #3 - SeaMonkey mail shows the exact same behaviour.

I have over the years changed to using my left hand on the mouse to have some kind of control over my mouse and now this looks to be the last straw.

Probably shouldn't post this in the Slackware forum but Slackware is what I use and is the only Linux I like to use.

I have a script that runs when booting my laptop up.

Code:
#!/bin/bash
xmodmap -e "pointer = 3 2 1"
#
xset m 1/2 1/2
#
My sig shows details of my laptop.
Not sure what else to say.
Anyone have an idea to help me?

Last edited by Gordie; 09-03-2021 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Parkinson's made me paste twice the post. EDIT #1 is for clarity

Old 09-04-2021, 02:03 AM   #2
lovemeslk

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 72
Hey are you using slackware current or slackware 14.2 you can use in KDE settings input device and set your scroll there ok .
here is the issue in the X11 we use no way to control speed. You can per program.
In Firefox
in search type about:config then paste this in it.
Quote:
mousewheel.min_line_scroll_amount
the click to edit it default is 5 lines make it less.
Thunderbird has a setting for this also. But not going to set up an account just to test the scroll you can.
Your not the only one with this issue.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1214436
Wow what a hassle finding advanced had to type it in the preferences search. Then unable to paste into advanced.
so had to use ctrl v to put this in it.
Code:
then set it to 1 this is one line per what ever pixel on a page. good luck
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thunderbird.png
Views:	13
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	37124  

Last edited by lovemeslk; 09-04-2021 at 02:22 AM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 09-04-2021, 10:32 AM   #3
Gordie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeslk View Post
Hey are you using slackware current or slackware 14.2 you can use in KDE settings input device and set your scroll there ok .
here is the issue in the X11 we use no way to control speed. You can per program.
In Firefox
in search type about:config then paste this in it.

the click to edit it default is 5 lines make it less.
Thunderbird has a setting for this also. But not going to set up an account just to test the scroll you can.
Wow what a hassle finding advanced had to type it in the preferences search. Then unable to paste into advanced.
Code:
Thank you for your reply. I am using Slackware64-current as stated in my sig. I don't use KDE and like the XFCE desktop better. Took a look at KDE system settings for the mouse and don't see anything that helps. The slider for scroll speed is at minimum now.

Funny, I DDG'd my face off trying to find any reference to this issue and came away disappointed. Thanks for the link and I most certainly am going to give it a try.

EDIT - I don't like Firefox and so I use Google Chrome. I actually read my email in and with Thunderbird without any browser.

EDIT #2 - KDE or any other system settings makes adjustments on a global scale but my problem exists only with one program, Thunderbird email. My KDE and also XFCE system settings have all input device/mouse settings at minimum already

Last edited by Gordie; 09-04-2021 at 11:25 AM.

Old 09-04-2021, 03:28 PM   #4
Pithium

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560Reputation: 560
I run into issues like this with the "Smooth Scroll" setting. There's a checkbox for it in Preferences. I don't know if that will solve the problem but it might make things easier to work with.

Old 09-04-2021, 08:52 PM   #5
Gordie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pithium View Post
I run into issues like this with the "Smooth Scroll" setting. There's a checkbox for it in Preferences. I don't know if that will solve the problem but it might make things easier to work with.
Thanks for that idea. I tried removing the check-mark but that didn't do the job for me. Was a good idea though.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:07 PM   #6
Gordie

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemeslk View Post
Code:
This is what I was thinking of for a solution. Spent more time than I thought I would trying to make it work but it didn't do what I need.

I was able to reproduce the problem with SeaMonkey.

Tomorrow I plan to run a phone line to the old desktop in the basement (details in my sig) and setup Thunderbird and use this mouse to see if the problem is only on this computer or not.

Old 09-04-2021, 09:26 PM   #7
Gordie

Original Poster
WOW! Hold the phone.
I just took a long critical look at SeaMonkey Mail and it can be setup to eliminate this problem I have.

- Load SeaMonkey Mail.
- Edit
- Preferences
- Advanced
- Mouse Wheel

There is a means to set the scroll speed for the mouse wheel. Only have to switch to SeaMonkey Mail for my default email.

Am marking this thread solved and thanks for the ideas. Slackware people are the greatest