LinuxQuestions.org
Help answer threads with 0 replies.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 09-02-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
slac-in-the-box

Distribution: slackware64-15.0 / slarm64-current

Rep: Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432
minimal system related posix error

I recently built roswell, an attempt to provide homogeneity to common lisp IDEs, and it works on the full install of slackware on which it was built...

But when I install it on a minimal system, and try to use it, I get an error:

Code:
While evaluating the form starting at line 22, column 0
  of #P"/etc/roswell/init.lisp":
Unhandled SB-INT:EXTENSION-FAILURE in thread #<SB-THREAD:THREAD "main thread" RUNNING
                                                {1001540103}>:
  Don't know how to REQUIRE SB-POSIX.
sb-posix is a module built into steel-bank common lisp (sbcl), for interacting with posix compliant unix systems... when roswell set itself up, it downloaded its own sbcl -- which kind of interferes with slackware philosophy of only making changes to system with slackware's pkgtools... this isn't unique to common lisp: perl has cpan, python has pip, and so on. So roswell sets up sbcl and quicklisp in a homogenous way and it is a dependency to to something I want to try out called clack.

I'm wondering which package is missing from my minimal install is necessary for enough posix compliance to satisfy sb-posix.

The only thing I know how to do is time consuming: trial and error installing groups of packages and re-testing until the missing package gets installed and it starts working.

These packages, from the /a set, are not installed on the minimal system:
Quote:
acl acpid cpufrequtils ed efibootmgr efivar elilo f2fs genpower gpm gptfdisk lbzip2 lhasa libcgroup libgudev lrzip mcelog mdadm minicom mlocate mt-st mtx ncompress ntfs os-prober
patch pciutils pcmciautils plzip reiserfsprogs rpm2tgz sdparm sharutils smartmontools tcsh time tree udisk unarj upower usb_modeswitch usbutils xfsprogs zoo
Perhaps it's cgroup... That's what I'll install next. But if there's any other packages above that seem like are essential to slackware's functioning in a virtual environment, please chime in. I didn't install packages related to monitoring of hardware, since the hardware is already monitored by the cloud provider or related to file systems that I do not use or expect to use.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:16 AM   #2
slac-in-the-box

Distribution: slackware64-15.0 / slarm64-current

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432Reputation: 432
It's another one of those mystery solves:

I just blacklisted kde/ kdei/ x/ xap/ xfce/, and synced slackware to everything non-x11

built roswell on the affected box

and it works!

But too many packages got added to the minimal system at once to know which one was the fix... and I also deleted the ~/.roswell directory... and one time, when running git clone for the roswell source, it told me expat file was too short... and slackpkg reinstall expat fixed that: maybe that's what was messing with it the entire time: a corrupt essential package.

Another thing I noticed: the manual for slackpkg mentions that the target slackware would install everything remaining in full install:
Quote:
install-new
This action installs any new packages that are added to the official Slackware package set. Run this if you are upgrading your system to another Slackware version or if you
are using -current.
If you want to install all uninstalled Slackware packages onto your system, use the following command instead of the install-new action:

# slackpkg install slackware.
I tried the "slackware" target to slackpkg, and it returned: no packages match that pattern... perhaps that target is obsolete?

Old 09-03-2021, 03:21 AM   #3
pghvlaans

Distribution: Slackware64 {15.0,-current}, FreeBSD, stuff on QEMU

Rep: Reputation: 363Reputation: 363Reputation: 363Reputation: 363
Quote:
Originally Posted by slac-in-the-box View Post
Another thing I noticed: the manual for slackpkg mentions that the target slackware would install everything remaining in full install: I tried the "slackware" target to slackpkg, and it returned: no packages match that pattern... perhaps that target is obsolete?
I think you're right. There's no mention of that target in the slackpkg script.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:28 AM   #4
phenixia2003

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008Reputation: 1008
Quote:
Originally Posted by slac-in-the-box View Post
Another thing I noticed: the manual for slackpkg mentions that the target slackware would install everything remaining in full install: I tried the "slackware" target to slackpkg, and it returned: no packages match that pattern... perhaps that target is obsolete?
On slackware64, you must execute :

Code:
# slackpkg install slackware64
--
SeB

1 members found this post helpful.

Tags
minimal install, posix