LinuxQuestions.org
Review your favorite Linux distribution.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Newbie
User Name
Password
Linux - Newbie This Linux forum is for members that are new to Linux.
Just starting out and have a question? If it is not in the man pages or the how-to's this is the place!

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-07-2021, 08:49 PM   #1
johnhaut
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Cool who are you page on umbuntu install

I cannot input text or get input focus in the text fields on the last step of the ubuntu installation ("Who are you?") page. I can right click and insert an emoji via the popup menu but that is not valid for anything other than the "Your name:" field. The cursor changes from the arrow to the vertical bar when I point to the text input fields but I can't input any text.

Old 07-08-2021, 02:15 AM   #2
obobskivich

Can you provide a bit more information about the environment/system you're trying this on? Is this in a VM? On metal? How is the keyboard/HID connected? Have you done the incredibly lazy (but tedious) step of downloading a fresh copy of the install media, getting a new bootable device ready with it, and trying over from the start?

Old 07-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #3
johnhaut
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
details

Thnx for your reply. I found an old HP Pavilion desktop box in the closet and thought I'd resurrect it. I'm attempting to run "on metal", the keyboard or HID is connected to the dedicated 6-pin mini-DIN connector. During the setup I was able to use scrollbars and other controls via my keyboard so my HID is visible and can "talk" to the setup. Unfortunately, the bios on the old box only supports booting from the cd/dvd or hdd so I can't download the latest version and boot from a thumb drive and I was unable to find a distribution that would fit on a CD. So as far as I know a dvd distribution is my only option. I have the Ubuntu Linux 19.04 DVD as my boot media. I would be willing to buy another dvd distribution before giving up on this box. Any recommendations?

Old 07-08-2021, 11:49 PM   #4
obobskivich

19.04 is deprecated/unsupported at this point, and I'm not sure what it'd do if you installed it and selected 'check for updates' during the install (I would like to believe it has some sanity check that prevents it from creating issues but I've never actually tried this out). Can you download and burn a new disc? Do you know anything about this machine's specs? I'm wondering if perhaps it isn't an 'issue' so much as the installation is crashing/failing due to the box being so old (or maybe having issues).

Old 07-09-2021, 08:19 AM   #5
cynwulf

Rep: Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367Reputation: 2367
This seems close to your issue, if not the same issue:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/1064...g-installation

However, it relates to VMs.

If the keyboard stops responding altogether - remember that (unlike MS Windows) PS/2 keyboards can be hot-plugged on Linux, you could try that at the point where it becomes unresponsive?

You can download a 2.7GB iso image of Ubuntu 20.04 which will fit on a DVD +/-R

https://ubuntu.com/download/desktop/...itecture=amd64