LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 04-08-2021, 09:17 PM   #16
enine

Distribution: Slackʍɐɹǝ

Original Poster

Rep: Reputation: 282Reputation: 282Reputation: 282

I got amiwm working but its the 1.3 look patch I can't get working. I'm trying to make my look closer to the 1.3 as I never used 2 or 3

Old 04-08-2021, 11:54 PM   #17
notzed

Distribution: slackware64-current

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Oh sorry I didn't realise it was for WB1.3, boy that's retro.

What was your problem? I got it[1 (I presume?)] to compile and run inside Xephyr but I had to make a small change.

In lex.l remove the line that says '#define yywrap() 1' and at the top of the file add '%option noyyrap', it should then compile with a few unimportant warnings.

Then to make it run edit the .amiwmrc example and comment out/remove the ModulePath and IconDir options, and the line 'ToolItem NewMenu "Menu Two"'. I also needed to install the bdf fonts and tell the x server about them as linked on that page.

[1] http://umlautllama.com/projects/amiwm/

Old 04-09-2021, 08:33 AM   #18
enine

Original Poster

Let me download and try again, IIRC it was somewhere when actually applying the 1.3 patch I ran into problems.

You should make a Slackbuild

Old 04-10-2021, 04:27 AM   #19
notzed

I find slackbuilds a bit clunky so wasn't going to do it but I was bored and created one. The build is pretty archaic so I had create a patch to fix Makefile.in to support DESTDIR. This patch conflicts with the WB1.x patch though so rather than make that optional as i'd intended they're both mandatory.

Then when finishing up the slackbuild meta data I realised the WB1.x patch[1] is for 0.20.48, and not the latest 0.21.2 version[2] - this is probably where you had trouble.

So ... you can have a look it[3] if you like but realise it's for the older version. Making the patch work with 0.21.2 will require some porting work.

[1] http://umlautllama.com/projects/amiwm/
[2] http://www.lysator.liu.se/~marcus/amiwm.html
[3] https://code.zedzone.space/slackbuilds/amiwm.tar.gz (md5:2ea0db348fc5cb062559945b98cceed5)

Old 04-10-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
enine

Original Poster

Well, that was pretty easy.
Now I remember the issue, try saving the .amiwmrc from http://umlautllama.com/projects/amiwm/ in home and it throws errors everywhere when trying to startx

Old 04-10-2021, 09:12 PM   #21
notzed

Well as i said above you need to fix a couple of things. Possibly better to use your old one and find what new bits are required to enable the WB1.x look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by notzed View Post
Then to make it run edit the .amiwmrc example and comment out/remove the ModulePath and IconDir options, and the line 'ToolItem NewMenu "Menu Two"'. I also needed to install the bdf fonts and tell the x server about them as linked on that page.
I ran it from an existing working X session using Xephyr (Xnest should also work).
Code:
$ Xephyr -ac -resizeable :1 &
$ DISPLAY=:1 xterm
Then in the embedded xterm just run amiwm so you can debug without breaking anything. You possibly also need to run the font path stuff linked on the 1.x patch page (xset +fp and so on), at least with the provided amiwmrc.

Code:
# in the 'embedded' xterm
$ xset +fp /path/to/UImlautLlamaFonts
$ xset fp rehash
$ amiwm
e.g. see attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-11_11-40-22.png
Views:	18
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	36060