LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 04:00 AM   #1
fulalas

Rep: Reputation: 34
Can't trash some folders on live sessions

I noticed that some folders can't be removed on Xfce live sessions (slackware64-live-xfce-current.iso):

https://www.mediafire.com/convkey/bf...od5m72hhzg.jpg

If I confirm to permanently remove it, then comes a new dialog saying the folder is not empty and it fails to remove it.

Maybe there's a reference (symlink?) to these 'untrashable' folders somewhere...?

Last edited by fulalas; 01-13-2021 at 04:01 AM.

Old 01-13-2021, 05:35 AM   #2
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
Quote:
the folder is not empty and it fails to remove it.
That's standard behavior on most Linux systems I've used, delete the contents of the folder.
If you are using a 'live' system, it is read only by default and if you were able to delete some file/folder, it would appear again upon reboot unless you have created the iso with persistence which you have not mentioned?

Old 01-13-2021, 08:13 PM   #3
fulalas

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 34
@yancek, AFAIK files/folders in a live session are not ready only, since they're copied to RAM. What's happening here (you can test yourself) is that some non-empty folders can't be trashed (like the one in the screenshot above), while some others can (in the same .config folder, for instance).

Please, noticed that be trashed is different to be deleted. You can, for instance, delete these non-empty folders that can't be trashed.

Old 01-14-2021, 06:43 AM   #4
keefaz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
Just go into the directory and delete files in it

Old 01-14-2021, 02:34 PM   #5
yancek
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware, Ubuntu, PCLinux,

Rep: Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488Reputation: 2488
t d

I'm curious as to why you would want to delete that particular directory? In any case, I have Slackware Live with KDE desktop and booted it and navigated to: /home/live/.config/xfce4/terminal. In that directory, there is a file named terminalrc. Backed out of that directory and selected Move to Trash on the Terminal directory and it was moved to Trash with no problem. Of course when I rebooted, that directory and the file in it were right where they had been before the move to trash. That's expected behavior, you can delete some files/folders on a persistent usb.

It runs in RAM but but every time you reboot, you lose.. everything if you don't have persistence as it loads what is on the usb to RAM on each boot. You could theoretically delete files/folders and have them remain so using a live system on condition that you never reboot.

Try it.