LinuxQuestions.org
Download your favorite Linux distribution at LQ ISO.
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 01-03-2021, 08:33 AM   #1
vesperto
LQ Newbie

Distribution: gentoo and slackware and other(s)

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
[solved] firefox segfaults on 14.2

That's basically it.

I've just installed 14.2 on my laptop, ran an upgrade then
Code:
slackpkg install firefox
, it fetches the main package (45.2) and the patch package, done. But then every time i run firefox, be it via a terminal in XFCE or menu, either regular user or root, it won't launch. If via terminal, i get "Segmentation fault" and that's it.

I assume there are several missing libraries, but i can't find a way of telling which ones. Most other packages crash when loading libraries and specifically tell you, so i go and fetch them.

Which kinda makes me wonder if it is indeed a missing library.

Any suggestions appreciated. Alternatively, is there a chromium-bin somewhere?

Last edited by vesperto; 01-03-2021 at 01:47 PM.

Old 01-03-2021, 10:17 AM   #2
keefaz
LQ Guru

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872Reputation: 872
Maybe a library mismatch? (wrong version)
You upgraded all packages with slackpkg ?

Old 01-03-2021, 12:35 PM   #3
kgha

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current multilib from AlienBob's LiveSlak MATE

Rep: Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698Reputation: 698
If your upgrade went without glitches (fetching all patches) it's odd that it doesn't work. I can't see that any significant packages have been added (thus not picked up by an upgrade) since the last 14.2 iso.
Alien Bob provides chromium packages for slackware-14.2, see https://slackware.nl/people/alien/sb...6_64/chromium/

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:47 PM   #4
vesperto
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
As it turns out, libFLAC was missing. I saw some warnings when running startx but nothing firefox-specific (like error loading libFLAC when running firefox in the terminal).
I did see this error when i tried running alien bob's chromium. So installed it.
Now firefox works, chromium constantly crashes with
Code:
network_service_instance_impl.cc "Network service crashed, restarting service."
This was caused by missing sqlite-3; now it spews other errors like "GLX is not present" but it doesn't crash and works (so far).

Thanks for the tips.

Last edited by vesperto; 01-03-2021 at 02:03 PM.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:35 PM   #5
Alien Bob
Slackware Contributor

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105Reputation: 8105
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperto View Post
As it turns out, libFLAC was missing. I saw some warnings when running startx but nothing firefox-specific (like error loading libFLAC when running firefox in the terminal).
I did see this error when i tried running alien bob's chromium. So installed it.
Now firefox works, chromium constantly crashes with
Code:
network_service_instance_impl.cc "Network service crashed, restarting service."
This was caused by missing sqlite-3; now it spews other errors like "GLX is not present" but it doesn't crash and works (so far).

Thanks for the tips.
Looks like you are new to Slackware. It's strongly advised to do a full installation to prevent this kind of avoidable issues.

Old 01-03-2021, 02:36 PM   #6
drgibbon

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
If you're missing system packages I'd recommend doing either:
Code:
#64-bit system
slackpkg install slackware64
#32-bit system
slackpkg install slackware
to catch necessary things. If there's stuff you definitely don't want, adjust /etc/slackpkg/blacklist beforehand accordingly.

Old 01-03-2021, 05:23 PM   #7
vesperto
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
I was happy, but let's be thorough then

Quote:
Looks like you are new to Slackware. It's strongly advised to do a full installation to prevent this kind of avoidable issues.
Newish, definitely not überuser, it's mostly my fire-and-forget distro, not my daily driver.
What package sets do you consider "full installation"? Next-next-next on setup?

The issues i have with a full installation is that it seems as though it'll install everything and the system sink. I went with a conservative approach (meaning only unticking what i knew i wouldn't need) but probably skipped a needed package set.

Quote:
slackpkg install slackware64
That seems to be the full installation. The downside is that it doesn't supply the descriptions.

So afterwards i'll have to list all installed packages and remove what i know i don't need (like full development when i only do C, most X applications, GRUB, CD-related tools, CUPS, etc, etc). Guess i tried the wrong shortcut.

Anyways thanks for your time. Cheers.

Old 01-03-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
drgibbon

Distribution: Slackware64 15.0

Rep: Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936Reputation: 936
Quote:
Originally Posted by vesperto View Post
That seems to be the full installation. The downside is that it doesn't supply the descriptions.
Exactly Slackware is not that well geared towards a selective install I'm afraid, and you will more than likely run into random breakage as you go along. For better or worse, Slackware has no built-in dependency resolution, so it's basically expected that the majority of the system is installed.

Tags
firefox, segfault, slackware 14.2