LinuxQuestions.org
Latest LQ Deal: Latest LQ Deals
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Fedora
User Name
Password
Fedora This forum is for the discussion of the Fedora Project.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-10-2020, 07:42 AM   #1
Ian D

Distribution: Fedora 39

Rep: Reputation: 18
Unresponsive Script deleting emails in Thunderbird

I recently installed Fedora 32 and then ran Thunderbird which collected all the old emails from my mail server. I determined that there were some old emails I no longer needed and attempted to delete them.
I found that if I selected up to about 300 messages and pressed the Delete button on the form, they would delete (after a bit of a delay). However, if I selected about 400 or more, after a while I would get a dialog pop up to inform me that there was an unresponsive script running on the page: I could either choose to stop the script or continue to see if it would finish.
I can understand that. Even I have written programs in the past which got themselves into a never-ending loop, so having something give the opportunity to abort that would be good.
However, I have a couple of complaints with the implementation.
1) Pressing the 'stop the script' did not seem to do anything (I could be wrong).
2) Pressing 'Continue' usually caused the continue button to go grey, but the dialog stayed on the screen, so I could not be sure that anything had happened. Indeed, if I pressed the continue button too soon after it appeared, the button did not turn grey, although the button press had been noted. The dialog would always stay on the screen until just before it wanted to put up a new one.
I had about 6000 emails to delete and I had to sit at the computer, pressing 'Continue' about 20 times until the task had completed.
It is great that the system gives me the opportunity to stop the script. However, I feel that it would be good if it would leave the script running - so that I could leave the computer to delete the messages without me having to nurse it through.
Pressing 'Continue' should clear the dialog from the screen immediately.
I am sure that this is probably not the right place to mention this. Is it a problem with Fedora, Thunderbird, or something else? Where should it be reported?

Old 07-10-2020, 08:12 AM   #2
shruggy

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
I believe it should be reported at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org

Old 07-10-2020, 10:26 AM   #3
scasey
LQ Veteran

Distribution: CentOS 7.9.2009

Rep: Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211Reputation: 2211
in my experience that behavior is caused by a script contained in the (an) email...it’s not a bug in thunderbird

Last edited by scasey; 07-10-2020 at 10:27 AM.