LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-24-2020, 11:07 AM   #16
FlinchX

Distribution: Slackware Linux

Rep: Reputation: Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendogsbsd View Post
I used to just build dwm and then use root to copy the binary to /usr/bin or wherever you normally run executables.
TBH it doesn't even need to be system wide. Most likely you'd run startx as regular user, so dwm just needs to be somewhere in PATH. Mine is in ~/bin

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-24-2020, 11:08 AM   #17
FlinchX

Quote:
Originally Posted by individual View Post
If you want to play around with different terminal emulators, but don't want to change it in the config file, install something like Xfce's exo.
Or just make a symlink/shell script wrapper named st that points to another terminal that you want to use so it precedes the real st binary in PATH, if you have the real st installed.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:01 AM   #18
burning

Distribution: Slackware

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by burning View Post
Marking the thread as solved. I just ended up using the Slackbuild off of slackbuilds.org. It works like a charm.
That is, until I want to make modifications to it like adding a status bar or a clock etc. Marking the thread as unsolved again.

The earlier problem about the makefile supposedly not being detected is still present only when I try to run make while the dwm/ directory is in my home folder. It seems to run fine when it's in /usr/local/bin for some reason. I'm curious as to why.

Also, the default prefix in the config.mk file is /usr/local . Does that mean I'm expected to put the dwm/ source in /usr/local before running make? Or was /usr/local/bin the right way to go about it? I'm aware users can do what they want to suit their needs but I'd like to make sure I'm following the general standard at least.

Last edited by burning; 08-18-2020 at 11:02 AM.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #19
ponce
LQ Guru

Rep: Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174Reputation: 4174
Quote:
Quote:
Marking the thread as solved. I just ended up using the Slackbuild off of slackbuilds.org. It works like a charm.
That is, until I want to make modifications to it like adding a status bar or a clock etc. Marking the thread as unsolved again.
could it be because you haven't read the README yet?
I'm asking because the things you cite as examples are explained there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
remember that you have to read the README of everything you install from SBo, also if you are using a third-party tool like sbopkg.
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/...top/dwm/README
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/.../README.CONFIG

Last edited by ponce; 08-18-2020 at 11:38 AM.

Old 08-18-2020, 11:22 AM   #20
FlinchX

Quote:
Also, the default prefix in the config.mk file is /usr/local . Does that mean I'm expected to put the dwm/ source in /usr/local before running make?
Even if you prefer to build dwm manually, you can still have a look at the SBo buildscript. It patches the vanilla makefile to change the prefix to /usr that Slackware is using.

Old 08-19-2020, 07:47 AM   #21
burning

Original Poster
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponce View Post
could it be because you haven't read the README yet?
I'm asking because the things you cite as examples are explained there...

https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/...top/dwm/README
https://slackbuilds.org/slackbuilds/.../README.CONFIG
Agh, I'm an idiot. I forgot about the README. Some people on irc just recommended that it's better to manually install it rather than package it, but I guess if we read it, we'd have known better.
I deleted my SBo/ folder in my /tmp directory to save space. Is there a better way of editing my current config.h without just removing the dwm package I have installed and re-downloading/re-installing the slackbuild from SBo/ so I'll have it in my SBo/ folder again? Or is that the only way of going about it?

Last edited by burning; 08-19-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Old 08-19-2020, 02:38 PM   #22
individual

Rep: Reputation: 233Reputation: 233Reputation: 233
Quote:
Is there a better way of editing my current config.h without just removing the dwm package I have installed and re-downloading/re-installing the slackbuild from SBo/ so I'll have it in my SBo/ folder again? Or is that the only way of going about it?
I keep a directory of SlackBuilds, with the source tarball in the same directory as the SlackBuild. There you can untar the source, edit the config file, re-tar the source, run the SlackBuild, and then run sudo slackpkg upgradepkg --reinstall <built package>

Old 08-19-2020, 03:05 PM   #23
elcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by individual View Post
There you can untar the source, edit the config file, re-tar the source, run the SlackBuild, and then run sudo slackpkg upgradepkg --reinstall <built package>
Seriously? I'd just unpack in tmp manually and #comment the rm and tar lines in slackbuild.
Additionally, made a script which does replacement of files in tmp and then runs the above slackbuild without unpacking anything.
Why would you repack the source?