LinuxQuestions.org
Welcome to the most active Linux Forum on the web.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Slackware
User Name
Password
Slackware This Forum is for the discussion of Slackware Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2020, 11:32 AM   #1
bifferos

Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149
Running Slackware Instances in AWS (EC2)

Greetings fellow Slackers,

Someone (not me!) deleted the old documentation previously at https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:cloud:aws_ec2.

I've today provided a replacement. I'm far from an AWS expert having got my account only two weeks ago so consider my new page a 'Beta'. Comments about that page and the companion DomU preparation page most welcome either here or on the wiki.

Have fun!

Old 07-06-2020, 09:43 PM   #2
Regnad Kcin

Distribution: Slackware 64 -current .

Rep: Reputation: 460Reputation: 460Reputation: 460Reputation: 460Reputation: 460
thank you for this.
I may need it in the near future.

Old 07-07-2020, 09:16 AM   #3
denydias

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by bifferos View Post
Someone (not me!) deleted the old documentation previously at https://docs.slackware.com/howtos:cloud:aws_ec2.
I'm the author of that article. A couple weeks ago Eric sent a message to let me know the content was obsolete. I could update the article or authorize him to delete. As I have no time atm to update it, I just let it die.

If you want to update it so it can be republished, just ask Eric to do so.

Last edited by denydias; 07-07-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Old 07-07-2020, 10:18 AM   #4
bifferos

Original Poster
Rep: Reputation: 149Reputation: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by denydias View Post
If you want to update it so it can be republished, just ask Eric to do so.
Eric effectively replaced your page with a blank one, so I just put my version over the blank page. I didn't start from your page because I was using a different approach, although I downloaded it from Google cache for my own records and can publish it somewhere if anyone needs it.

I didn't flesh out details of e.g. installing Slackware in a VM, and didn't bother explaining how to run the kernel under Xen as a test. I did that myself I just didn't document it, because by the time you've setup Xen under Slackware you could already have your instance up and running on AWS.

If you feel my version is missing anything I can try to add that back, the most important omission is compilation of Amazon tools for the instance, but I don't need them right now. If I do I'll be sure to add them or I could perhaps put back your original section on that. It was optional in any case.

Old 07-07-2020, 03:50 PM   #5
denydias

Distribution: Slackware

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Wink

Sure! The article I wrote may be adapted or rewritten to whatever you feel appropriate. You don't even need to get anything from it, just like you did and looks pretty objective.