LinuxQuestions.org
Share your knowledge at the LQ Wiki.
Home Forums Tutorials Articles Register
Go Back   LinuxQuestions.org > Forums > Linux Forums > Linux - Distributions > Ubuntu
User Name
Password
Ubuntu This forum is for the discussion of Ubuntu Linux.

Notices

Search this Thread
Old 06-23-2020, 07:37 PM   #1
Shloz
LQ Newbie

Rep: Reputation: Disabled
Lubuntu -- URL shortcut

Like the title says, I want to create a desktop and/or panel shortcut to a website URL. In other distros it was a matter of dragging the URL from Firefox to the desktop, or right-clicking on the desktop to create new launcher.
None of that works for me in Lubuntu. Dragging either does nothing or creates some unusable icon on the desktop, there's no option to create new launcher in the right-click menu. I'm running 20.04.

Please help.

Old 06-24-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
pan64
LQ Addict

Distribution: debian/ubuntu/suse ...

Rep: Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308Reputation: 7308
probably this helps: https://askubuntu.com/questions/2812...ew-application

Old 06-24-2020, 02:41 PM   #3
shruggy

And this.

Old 06-28-2020, 06:13 PM   #4
KGIII

Distribution: Lubuntu 18.04 LTS

Rep: Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan64 View Post
Please note that the alacarte app offered as a solution on that page only works with the main menu. It doesn't create desktop shortcuts (as I've found).

The only solution I know of is the one listed there - where you make it manually. This is a hole in Lubuntu and one you pretty much need to come to grips with. If you want to make them manually, it's not all that difficult. Just save a template and use that to make new ones. Open it with your text editor of choice and then use the "Save As" option to save it with a new filename.

Old 06-28-2020, 07:19 PM   #5
Shloz
LQ Newbie

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the responses. I dug in and figured out how to do it manually.

I then switched to Antix which is working much better on my ancient netbook. Antix doesn't either have any easy way to create a shortcut, but then it's not marketed to beginners, I had to search around a lot to get it set up for my needs. I'm quite happy with it now.

Lubuntu is much more accessible and novice friendly.